We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My husband's first trip to Trinidad should I be concerned

florida
2 posts
Save Topic
My husband's first trip to Trinidad should I be concerned

I was raised in Trinidad and live in the US for well over 30 years. I still have family in Trini and visit every 5 years. My husband is American and been to Barbados, even lived in Bahamas for a year. He is not into carnival and would rather spend time sailing or camping. We have been married for 6 years and I realy think it is time for him to see where I was raised and to see this beautiful island. I guess my concerns is that my family live in Port -of Spain in a high crime area. I visit them when I'm there but not at night and I usually spend most of visit at the Crowne Plaza. When I am in Trinidad I always try to blend in so as to not stand out ......people still know I don't live there....it hurts because in Triinidad they look at me as a foreigner. Oh I forgot to mention that my husband is Caucasian....just don't want to be a target. I cannot go down without visiting family in Port of Spain. Should I be concerned about this trip?

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My husband's first trip to Trinidad should I be concerned

I understand you concers as my sister-in-law is in the exact situation as you are with her husband. I'm not sure of what areas in Port-of-Spain you are talking about but yes I would not take him up into the Hills (Belmont, gonzales and laventille) nor down to sea-lots. I would only conside it if you are in a car pack with other family members who live in the area. I hate to say it but there are gangs in these areas and if you look like and outsider they may stop you.

Crowne Plaza is a good port-of-spain location and you can meed friend and family there or along the Prominard. It is well lit and usually has some police presence on it. I presume you choose this hotel for this reason.

There are a number of other hotels and guest houses in woodbrook and further west.

This may sound strange but your husband my be safer because he is caucasian. Because he stands out as a toruist, there is a great chance that people will treat him better and look out for him. Most people still have this thing in them were we look out for our guest and go to great lenghts to make sure they have a good time. They will guide you when and where to go or not go.

You husband should be fine, just use some common sence in the thing you do and everything should be ok.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My husband's first trip to Trinidad should I be concerned

What exactly are you concerned about? Is it that your husband would be a target of criminals because of his skin colour? I am sure both of you would not be anymore of a target than the average Trini.

You don't visit your family at night when you are here and I don't see any reason to change that now that you are bringing your husband.

You are doing yourself a disservice if you spend most of your visits holed up in a hotel. There are lots of places you can see in the daytime and still get back to the hotel before dark. For example you can hop on a bus or maxi and take a walking tour of San Fernando, Point or Arima. There are hiking groups that organise hikes throughout the year , some do hikes every 2 weeks and they have notices in the newspapers. There are tours to the bird sanctuary,caroni river etc. The hotel can guide you or you can look in the yellow pages for tour groups.

Like every place you visit use your common sense. Don't wear lots of jewellery,carry only the cash you need for the particular outing ,don't compare Trinidad to the US and criticise loudly to all and sundry the Trinidad and Tobago way of life, you are not living here you are only visiting. Some people may not take kindly to your remarks.

Other than that, enjoy showing your husband around Trinidad and have a great time .

florida
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My husband's first trip to Trinidad should I be concerned

Thank you for your reply Chanka. Actually my concern is sticking out like an elephant. Also I love my country very much and this trip is not just a visit to me ....I plan on returning home to live soon. I want my husband to see this paradise because I feel in my heart that I need to move back home. The hardest part of this trip is trying to convince him to retire in Trini together. I am a realist and crime occur everywhere ... just as you stated use common sense. I was raised in the worst part of Trinidad but I never followed the ways of my environment. I am blessed to have been raised my two wonderful people who happen to still live in this area....but are such gently souls refusing to conform to the mahem in their immediate circle. Just last week a man was shot dead across the street from them. Two blocks over there is a Police and Army Mobile Station, the thugs shoot at the authorities. A child was shot in the face a couple of months ago. I am not use to living in fear like that .....my hope is that when we visit all goes well and we can find an Area ...you know what...my faith is strong I'll leave this in the hands of God. Also I feel as though this is a sounding board to just vent your thoughts and to get someone else opinion. Thank You

Trinidad
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My husband's first trip to Trinidad should I be concerned

Don't worry I am a 24 year old white female and I go down to Trinidad every year and venture around Port of Spain at all hours. It's not the safest but just be careful, that's all. Stick in large numbers and listen to your gut

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My husband's first trip to Trinidad should I be concerned

Samie

Don't let fear keep you back from visiting T&T. There are still lots of lovely and kind people to interact with and beautiful places to see.

Remember we weren't given a spirit of fear but one of power,love and a sound mind.

So go ahead and make those travel plans.

Get answers to your questions about Port of Spain