We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

toronto
5 posts
Save Topic
where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

we r a family of 5.going to trini and would like to know where to stay.hotel site seeing etc....

Trinidad
Level Contributor
240 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

Hi Charlayne,

For a family (with young kids I'm assuming), I would recommend The Marriott Courtyard if you prefer a hotel chain. It is a fairly central location to Port of Spain and fairly new. The advantage is its next door to shopping/entertainment centre-movies, restaurants for the kids.

I would also recommend The Kapok. Privately owned. Great location and also close to a few restaurants, fast food, shopping, etc. (www.kapokhotel.com).

A must do is a visit to Maracas Beach including a 20 minute scenic drive through the mountains. While there sample the renowned "shark and bake" sandwiches. Usually you have the beach to yourself during the week. Or if you prefer to hang out with the locals on Sundays.

You can also take a tour of the Caroni Bird Sanctuary. This is a 2-3 hour boat tour into the Caroni swamp where you get to see birds and reptiles in their natural environment.

There's the Emperor Valley Zoo (not as huge as the Toronto Zoo!) but interesting nonetheless.

It's also possible to take a day trip to Tobago where you can visit the Buccoo reef and the Nylon Pool.

Crime is a growing concern in Trinidad so exercise some precaution-avoid deserted areas, don't flash around money/jewellery, do go out alone at night etc. and you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

TT-Traveller.you sound like someone i would enjoy meeting,do you live in Trinidad or Tobago,i will be there from 4/12-27 and stay in Barataria.

toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

We live in toronto and we r planning a trip to trinidad for the xmas holidays.

madrid
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

Hi charlayne

Since you are coming form canada the person who advised you is obviously a tour guide operator.If you are going to trinidad with a family of 5 the best thing to do is rent a house for your stay or go to a bed and breakfast.If you find yourself in a hotel you would be paying very high wasteless rates especially when they think you are tourist.

For sight seeeing I agree with the recommended sites just stick to busy areas though.

Be carefull about Sundays most everyone is in church so it gets quite.As for the crime situation it is like all over in this world be cautious and you have no problem.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

Kyler,you must be talking about Spain..not Port Of Spain,Trinidad.Most people are not in church on Sundays,that was a long,long time ago,and the crime is not like everywhere else, it's worst,we have zero crime in our community right here in Orlando Florida.I think some people just reply to questions because they have nothing better to do and has no clue what's going on.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

Trini4life some of us still live in Trinidad and have a better clue that you. I've be to orlando 5 times in the last 8 years and have seen and heard about a lot of crime as well.

Once you use you travel common sence and stay in the popular areas you will be fine. Unless you know someone locally can recommend a house or bed and breakfast close to that person, I would stick to the hotels mentioned above. Kapok and Courtyard are close to popular mall.

Kapok and Hilton is close to the savanna which you can walk around and take pictures of the historical building. The savanna is 5K in circumfrance. I would not recommend any tourist walk through the savanna as it is so big, there are remote areas in the center.

Hotels can arrange tours to Caroni, Asa wright and to the beach. There are a number of reputable tour operators.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

kobolus,i said we have zero crime in my development...not the whole of Orlando !I dont know your age but i grew up in Trinidad in the 50's-1975 and i have seen the changes.Living in a house surounded by iron bars and have to be in fear of kidnapping,mugging or stray bullets is not my style of living.I know that people who live there (my Family included)has no choice,but everyone acts like it's normal.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

You make it sound like we have no choice but to live here. I choose to live here. I can migrate anytime I want. You can't compare things now to 1950 or even 1975. True, gone are the days when you can leave your front door and gate open all that without fear of being robbed. All houses have burglar proof iron bar beacuse its a cheap and efective defence. Even in the US its the same. It just that they have more options for home secuirty like Brinks. I have driven through the poorer areas of orlando and miami and have seen the same problems we have here.

We have a crime problem, yes but as everyone else is saying, it no different from other tourist areas. What any visitor need to look at are crimes against tourist and not the domestic crime situation. When you do that you will realise we are no different than and other island in the caribbean.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

I give up,i guess some people would never get it.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay that is affordable , for a family of 5

True, never get why you are so negative to Trinidad and calling people clueless when all they are doing is offering friendly advise.

Get answers to your questions about Port of Spain