We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schooling for young kids in Trinidad

Which Port of Spain hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Schooling for young kids in Trinidad

Hi! My husband has been offered a job in Trinidad and we are trying to do some research before making a decision on whether or not to accept. We have two kids - 2 and 5 - and I'm concerened about the quality of schooling for them. Does anyone have any information on the schools there? Are the good, safe, adequate schools that are comparable to US schools?

Any thoughts on where to live with young kids would be appreciated too. I'll be staying home with them and would like to be able to go out alone with the kiddos.

Thanks so much!!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Schooling for young kids in Trinidad

The company offering the job should have a list of places they would recommend for you to stay. Otherwise hubby should get in touch with some of his future co-workers for suggestions. Here are mine based on having lived there for 39 years: Maraval, St. Anns, Cascade, Westmoorings, Goodwood Park.

As for the schools, the education standard is higher, yes higher, than here in the USA. And you can choose the school - it is not based on where you live.

If you both have the chance to visit without committing to the job I suggest you do so. It will take some getting used to to live there. It is not for everyone. The traffic crawls along and not just in rush hour. Crime is also something to be wary about.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schooling for young kids in Trinidad

Agree with Chuts. There are many Private and Government Prep Schools (2-4) and Primary School (5-11). Now our schools aren't air conditiond and some are in old buildings, but the standard of education is very very good.

Depending on where you work, you would probibly want a school close to home or the office. If you plan to stay home then you will be a little more flexable in picking up your kids from school and therefore search a wider range of schools.

If you know where your husbands main work office will be, we can recommend good schools schools close by.

London, England
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Schooling for young kids in Trinidad

In addition to many good quality primary schools (Trinidadian for elementary school), there is an International School, which you should consider, depending on your budget and the length of time you intend to spend here, as it follows the US system which will make the adjustment easier for the older child at least when he/she leaves Trinidad.

Alternatively there is a Canadian school (Maple Leaf which I believe is cheaper) and a British Academy.

http://www.isps.edu.tt/

http://www.mapleleaf-school.com/

At the younger child's age there are lots of good nursery schools including the London Montessori.

There is a large expat community here and I am sure you will have no problem getting in touch with them and figuring it out.

4. Re: Schooling for young kids in Trinidad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 26, 2009