We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queens Park Oval - a question for locals or those who know

Which Port of Spain hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grangemouth...
Level Contributor
474 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Queens Park Oval - a question for locals or those who know

I'm visting Tobago next year with my family and I'm intending to visit Port of Spain as well

As a West Indies cricket fan (from Scotland - weird I know!!!) I would like to visit the Queens Park Oval cricket ground

I was wondering if any locals or anyone who happens to know the answers to the following questions -

1 Is it possible to visit the ground ie go inside for a tour (visitor centre?) or is it a case of just some photographs outside?

2 Is there a shop or outlet at the ground where I can purchase West Indies merchandise?

3 If there is no shop/outlet at the ground - can anyone recommend a good sports retailer where I can purchase merchandise in Port of Spain?

Hope someone out there can help - please!!!!

Hull
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queens Park Oval - a question for locals or those who know

Hi..

I travel to Port of Spain every year to visit my sister and have visited Queens Park Oval a couple of times. It has improved slightly since the world cup and the addition of the "Trinny Posse" stand, but from the outside a great deal of the view is just corrugated iron (as is much of trinidad) There are several Mall's around port of spain with Sports Retailers selling merchandise but I have never seen a shop in the ground.

I hope this helps a little, The people are wonderful and the food is anazing its not so much a holiday island as Tobago is but its very much worth a visit.

Have Fun !!

Sammo..

Trinidad
Level Contributor
240 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queens Park Oval - a question for locals or those who know

Hi Jahrastafari,

There has been much renovations since the world cup. There is now a upscale bar "Bat & Ball" and a fine dining restaurant "Jaffa" both located in the Oval.

I am not sure if there is an actual tour/visitors centre, but I am pretty sure you can enter the grounds by way of going to one of these places. There is usually a guard directing parking, but I am sure if you say you are from Scotland and a huge WI fan, they would let you in to take some photos. Or worst case, make your way up to Jafffa. On the way to Jaffa, you pass by the member's lounge and there is a great view of the Oval. Again, if it is open, I am sure you can just pop in and ask to take some photos or whatever.

I know during the games they sell merchandise but again not sure if there is a full time retail shop. I am pretty sure Sports & Games (Long Circular Mall, or West Mall) sells authentic WI Team clothing, hats etc.

IF I REMEMBER TOMORROW, I will call the Oval and post a reply.

(Hope when I finally make it to Scotland on a Scotch tour, you can give me similar advise. LOL!)

Hope this helps. Go Windies! Bring back Lara! : )

3. Re: Queens Park Oval - a question for locals or those who know

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:23 am, September 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port of Spain