We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in trinidad

Which Port of Spain hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ABERDEEB
2 posts
Save Topic
safety in trinidad

I have been offered work in Trinidad & i am 99% certain that i will take the job, however the safety issue seems to be raising its head. I would be based in Port of Spain, can anyone put my mind at rest??

DM, ABERDEEN

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: safety in trinidad

I agree with Monos 100%. I just printed a long retort in another thread. I have been to Scotland and Driven from Glasgow to Aberdeen and back down to Edinbrough taking the costal scenic route. An believe me, Trinidad road are a lot better that some Scottish roads. Not trying to be offensive, I loved my Scottish road trip. Beautiful country.

The foreigners who have been mugged or killed were in remote rural areas where there is poverty. I mean you go to a remote village with a shinny SUV wearing jewellery. That’s just creating temptation. Do I go to a rangers football match wearing a Celtic Green colours, I'd have to be "Daft". All Monos is saying that if you use the same common sense that would use in any part of the world, then you will be fine.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: safety in trinidad

I know a personal case on the Deportee problem. This young man migrated to NYC when he was 1 with his entire family so was raise as typical American youth. When he was 20, was arrested of Driving a friends car not knowing his freind was carring drugs (so he clams). Because he was originally born in Trinidad, he did not face trial and was instantly deport. Because he has no familly here in trinidad, no job, etc, he took up residence in a cheapest accomodation he can find. In a neighbour with known drug deals. With no friends, he soon truned to drug for comfort and petty crime to support the habbit. He was in rehab the last I heard. His case is to be reviewed by US immergration but after 5 years it still has not come up. He is now a burden on the state.

So don't say the US deportation has not contributed to the rise in crime in all Caribbean countries. And as for tracking these deportees, we are still a free country with human rights. You can't put a tracking device on these individuals as the have not broken any trinidad law on there return. It is a Human Righs Violation to single them out immedialty on their return when they no local criminal record.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: safety in trinidad

What a bunch of hogwash.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: safety in trinidad

It's innocent until proven guilty in The USA...it's guilty until proven innocent in the rest of the world.Human rights my A**...thats the reason there is so much crime going on all over,the law is to protect the criminals,i believe in... an eye for an eye.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: safety in trinidad

It not a personal opinion but the case I mention is fact. I know the family. We got him into the drug Rehab. The deportee problem is real and was the headline when all the caribbean head of state meet in washington with Ms Rice earlier this year.

I want to make it clear, I have nothing against you PositiveK. Its just some of your chritism of Trinidad is harsh and some international readers understand the way Trini's talk. I'm just trying to balance the point of view on the forum.

I'm glad you return to trinidad every year and hope you continue to. I hope you next visit is a safe and a relaxing one.

Port of Spain
8 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: safety in trinidad

Dont know what your residence status is but I can tell you I am certainly not a friend of American culture if you are a trini I suggest you continue living in the US as you dont appear to be one of those that love your country if you are a trini.

Message for Mitch 9377

And I will say again speak to any expatriate working here and they will tell you that T&T is one of there best assignments ever.

Dont let those trinis living abroad scare you.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: safety in trinidad

That i will certainly do with peace of mind,something i can't do in Trinidad.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: safety in trinidad

monos and kobolus,i sent you both private mails.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: safety in trinidad

positivek,

The laws that are in place, whether in the USA or anywhere else, are not in place to help the criminals - they are there to prevent innocent people from being convicted. Without laws, there would be anarchy.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: safety in trinidad

Not if you are a Millionaire,money buys freedom also.

Get answers to your questions about Port of Spain