We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in trinidad

Which Port of Spain hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ABERDEEB
2 posts
Save Topic
safety in trinidad

I have been offered work in Trinidad & i am 99% certain that i will take the job, however the safety issue seems to be raising its head. I would be based in Port of Spain, can anyone put my mind at rest??

DM, ABERDEEN

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in trinidad

A few people working in Trinidad has died recently in motor accidents,they claimed the last one to die fell asleep,because of the slack laws in Trinidad,huge pot holes,delapidated cars,bald tires and Russian roulet drivers etc,be very careful if you do drive and even have to be on your guard when walking,dodge a pot hole and can kill you instead.You said you were 99% sure to take it,so just be careful.

ABERDEEB
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in trinidad

Many thanks for this information, i am getting a general vibe that trinidad may not be what it is cracked up to be, i have looked through various pages on trip advisor & the majority of these refer back to crime, Kidnappings & not leaving apartment after dark????

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in trinidad

Stick with your colleagues at work and you will be okay. Are you male or female?

As someone recently pointed out there are several people from Scotland working in Trinidad, to the extent that there are even Scottish events held to celebrate various occasions. I'm sure you'll get in with them.

Port of Spain
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in trinidad

Trinidad is a great place to work. Most expats who live and work here do not want to leave. Crime only affects those who go looking for it. As you are from Aberdeen I am sure you are in the oilfield. So am I and I can tell you its a great place to be. You just have to be carefull not to venture into the wrong places.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety in trinidad

monos,what a stupid thing to say...so the people that get mugged,rape,kidnapped and killed in their houses went looking for it?What about people that get robbed while eating at a restaurant?Think before you write and stop giving people false information.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: safety in trinidad

positivek .......... you beat me to it. LOL.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety in trinidad

Chuts...it's sad that these young people that write this non sense has no idea what growing up in T&T was like back in our days,i know i am going to get a lot of flack from some of them about another topic i posted on,but it's all true.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety in trinidad

I think monos spends most of his time on an oil rig where it's very safe from muggers,kidnappers etc.

Port of Spain
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: safety in trinidad

I think you people need to wake up, Yes we do have crime but it is caused by a very small group of people the low life we call them. If you stay away from where the low life live you will be fine. All you trinis that live away have no idea about what is going on actually its most of the deporties from the US that create most of the problem.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safety in trinidad

It's monkey see..monkey do,Trini's copy everything that the USA do,so blame your government for not keepnig an eye on these felons that they send back, and stop pointing the finger,we have our own A**h**e Bush to put up with.