We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping in POS

dominica
1 post
Save Topic
shopping in POS

My husband and I are going to be in POS for 3 days after spending a week at Asa Wright. We want to shop for fabric. Where should we go? Also where can we get a good roti?

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping in POS

Fabric stores are all over POS,especially on Charlotte St,prices will be about the same,but bigger stores has more to choose from,also visit Mount Saint Benedict and have tea at the guest house,reservations required.

Trinidad
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping in POS

Fabric can be purchased on Frederick Street or across Queen Street my favs are 'The Bridal and Curtain Shoppe' and 'Miguel Moses'. That is if you are sticking with downtown POS otherwise I would suggest going Mucurapo Road to Miguel Moses. As for Roti....well you will get mixed reviews on that but it would really depend on your individual taste. There is Hott Shoppe on Mucurapo road but we locals consider that imitation roti however, tourists seem to think it is great. There is also Patraj on the corner of White and Tragarete Road which I consider to be much better. Neither of these are really dine in places though so it really is to just pick up and go. To get a really good roti though you would have to know someone who knows the area to take you somewhere and I personally prefer to go into Tunapuna to get my roti. But that is out of POS.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping in POS

How about the vendors who sell Roti in St James at night?Patraj lost his touch a long time ago,still looking for a good roti myself when i visit,where in Tunapuna is this good roti shop?I know sauce in Curepe has the best doubles.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping in POS

Agree with imakeitispendit, however just before Patraj Roti there is Curry Masalla which I prefer. As for fabric, Queen Street and Frederick Street are the best location. Just to add one more recommended store, Mode Alive on Frederick st has some good prices.

trinidad
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping in POS

There are NO fabric stores on Charlotte Street, except for one that sells fabric for suitings. Your best bet as was said by an earlier member is Queen Street and Frederick STreets. If you like the classier, dressier fabrics, go to The Bridal and Curtain Shoppe. If you like the more earthy, Carribean looking fabrics, try Mode ALive which is two stores away from the Bridal and Curtain SHoppe.

ROTI - your best bet is Hot Shop Roti on Maraval Road, Newtown POS or Ariapita Avenue. For the best roti you have to go to Tunapuna to a place called WINGS!!!!! Make sure you ask for very little pepper, because the pepper served with roti is punishingly hot.

Enjoy

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping in POS

Thanks for the info,back in my days Charlotte Street used to have a lot of cloth stores(1960-early 70's),since i will be in T&T for Xmas someone told me the best place for pastelles is called Pepperoni in one of the malls,i think Long Circular,do you know anything about that?

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping in POS

I think you mean Peppercorns in Ellerslie Plaza which is close (relatively) to Long Circular Mall

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shopping in POS

Ok,thanks for that info,will pay them a visit.

Trinidad and Tobago
Level Contributor
173 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shopping in POS

Shian's Roti Shop, bottom of Cipriani Boulevard, is very good. There's another good one bottom of Maraval Road opposite the gas station, Dobson's Roti Shop.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shopping in POS

Do they still sell dog roti in Trinidad?

Get answers to your questions about Port of Spain