We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scarlet Ibis

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
scarlet Ibis

Hi all, i will be in T&T in mid October and one of my target birds (bird photographer) in Trinidad will be Scarlet Ibis.

I know that taking the boat trip out to the roosting spot at Caroni Swamp is the traditional way of seeing them.

I don't believe i will be able to get decent shots as the birds will likely be too far away, so i'm wondering if anyone can confirm if the Pointe-a-Pierre Wildfowl Trust has any on their property at the moment.

Cheers!

shot in the dark question i know LOL

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Caroni Swamp
Caroni Swamp
233 Reviews
Trinidad
Pointe-a-Pierre Wildfowl
Pointe-a-Pierre Wildfowl
56 Reviews
Trinidad
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: scarlet Ibis

Looks like they do .... see this web site:

http://www.petrotrin.com/WildFowlWeb/

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scarlet Ibis

They have a a couple of birds in small enclosures and also at the Zoo.

If you have camera with good zoom you can get good pics at Caroni Swamp where you would see greater numbers.

Mentioned in this post
Caroni Swamp
Caroni Swamp
233 Reviews
Trinidad
Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: scarlet Ibis

Thanks all, we are on our way now, lets hope Caribbean Airlines gets their act together and gets us a flight today, yesterday we were delayed 5 hours at the airport before they finally told us our airplane was broken and we would be re-scheduled today, sigh..

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scarlet Ibis

Hello there and glad to hear you will be visiting my native country. Yes I can confirm that when I visited a few years ago, there were some lovely Scarlet Ibis at the Point-A-Pierre wildfowl trust. You can also have a guide to show you around the trails as well. It is a nice trip. However I still encourage you to take the caroni bird sanctuary boat tour as well (go with a company called "nanaan's". I also found some nice things to do on this website as well - caribbeaninsidersguide.com/trinidad-holidays/

Have fun and enjoy seeing some of the finest bird specimens in the caribbean while you are in Trinidad.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scarlet Ibis

Hello there and glad to hear you will be visiting my native country. Yes I can confirm that when I visited a few years ago, there were some lovely Scarlet Ibis at the Point-A-Pierre wildfowl trust. You can also have a guide to show you around the trails as well. It is a nice trip. However I still encourage you to take the caroni bird sanctuary boat tour as well (go with a company called "nanaan's"). I also found some nice things to do on this website as well - caribbeaninsidersguide.com/trinidad-holidays/

Have fun and enjoy seeing some of the finest bird specimens in the caribbean while you are in Trinidad.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scarlet Ibis

You would need to make a booking to go to the WFT, so call ahead.

To gain access to Petrotrin's compound you need the booking to get pass the Guards at the main Entrance and the 2nd entrance.

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: scarlet Ibis

Cheers all, i'd like to mention that this morning we arranged a private trip (just my wife and I) to the Caroni swamp from 7am to 9am and had a good trip, Scarlet Ibis were found in a number of locations along the route, the best and closest shots i got were right behind the visitor centre believe it or not, almost full frame.

I was told that due to the flooding the birds had spread out from their usual location so this is not to be expected at all times.

Enjoying my time in Trinidad, look forward to Tobago in a few days.

Mentioned in this post
Caroni Swamp
Caroni Swamp
233 Reviews
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: scarlet Ibis

CanBirdr, how is the accommodation where you are staying in Trinidad?

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: scarlet Ibis

I have spent the last 4 nights at the Asa Wright Nature Centre in the hills just past Arima, for a bird watcher or bird photographer it is heaven.

The centre was able to arrange the Caroni field trip for me.

Asa Wright is highly recommended if you ever get a chance.

Mentioned in this post
Asa Wright Nature Centre
Asa Wright Nature Centre
363 Reviews
Trinidad
Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scarlet Ibis

Asa Wright Nature Centre is a lovely place and a bird watchers paradise.

Hope all the rain isn't affecting all the birds tht you see.

Mentioned in this post
Asa Wright Nature Centre
Asa Wright Nature Centre
363 Reviews
Trinidad