We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Trinidad soon

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Trinidad soon

Hi, I am from the UK and plan to visit a friend in Trinidad in March (I will miss Carnival, nooo!).

I haven't visited the island before, so I'm looking for some tips for places to visit, things to see and try, etc.

I've heard the reports of crime etc. and read the newspapers, but that isn't going to deter me; I really am looking forward to my visit (also my first to the Carribean!).

I will be staying with my friend so I don't require accomodation tips...

Thanks

Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Trinidad soon

Wear lots of sunscreen!!!!

The breeze off of the sea at Maracas Beach is so enjoyable that you won't realize that your skin is burning. Even if you are not fair skinned, take the sun in small doses or you will regret it!!!!!!!

Drink a Carib, eat a bake & shark at the beach. Drink a coconut water at the Savannah. Buy handicraft souvenirs off beach vendors -the ones in gift shops are so cheesy & expensive. Eat at the restaurant at the top of the Kapok hotel, you'll get a nice aerial view of the place. If, God forbid, you need medical attention, DO NOT GO TO PORT OF SPAIN GENERAL HOSPITAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to the Seventh Day Adventist hospital. Keep the phone number of your embassy handy.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Trinidad soon

Hi Trinisoon,

Not sure of your age or what you enjoy doing but here are a few things to do-

Do try our local cuisine-beef/chicken/shrimp/goat roti, doubles, pelau, crab & callaloo, crab & dumpling, stew pork, unique Trini-Chinese food, shark & bake

Have a coconut water around the Savannah, even better try a Scotch (JWB) and coconut water (so smooth), taste the local beers Stag, Carib and Samba and sample our fine rums (like Angostura 1919.)

Bird watching at Asa Wright or Pointe-a-Pierre Wild Fowl Trust

Visit a temple (Temple by the sea in Waterloo or the giant Hanuman murti in Carapichaima)(photo ops)

Visit a Trini rumshop (Narie's in Barataria, Smokey & Bunty's in St. James) and learn the 'art of liming'

Head to one of the beaches-Maracas Bay or Toco or Manzanilla. Heed the warning about sunscreen.

There is a small little know but very interesting Military Museum in Chagaramas. There is also hiking, mountain bike riding and golf in this area.

For some party nightlife in Port of Spain try 51 degrees, Zen or Trotters

If your friend has access to a boat, head 'down de islands' for some more liming or try your hand at deep sea fishing.

If you happen to get here the week after carnival, be sure to catch the 'Champs in Concert' show that highlights all the winners of the various carnival competitions. Great bang for your buck. (Your friend will need to buy tickets in advance)

If you've got time, head over to Tobago even if only for a day-trip. There are several flight daily. For some more beach time in Tobago try Pigeon Point, Pirates Bay, Englishman's bay and Pirates bay. Speyside in Tobago also has some of the best SCUBA diving in the region.

I commend your adventurous spirit. While crime is definitely spiraling out of control, I am sure you will have a great incident-free vacation.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay.

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Trinidad soon

Wow, thanks for an excellent and very informative reply!

Lots of useful info here. I am really looking forward to my stay!

Thanks

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Trinidad soon

And make a visit to Mount Saint Benedict,it's going to be the most peaceful time you will have in Trinidad,I spent 4 years at the Boarding school (Abbey School)which is so sad because it dont exist anymore.Have fun !

Trinidad
Level Contributor
240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Trinidad soon

Good one T4L. I forgot this. Very peaceful and great view of the Central Plains on a clear day.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Trinidad soon

Go to las cuevas beach...further up the road from maracas, but SOOOO worth it! On a clear day, this beach is picteresque, and the waves are much softer than maracas!

Just to reiterate what the others have said - eat doubles, eat bake and shark....try all the local cuisine, your tastebuds are in for a treat :-)

oh the caroni bird sanctuary tour is quite nice too!

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Trinidad soon

Yeah..and make sure to walk with a lot of bug spray and Deet,the mosquitoes will eat you alive.There is a warning for Britons in their newspaper about crime on the rise,just be careful.