We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mustique in October?

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Mustique in October?

We had a wonderful first trip to Mustique in February and vowed to go back asap and often.

My 30th is in October and we wondered whether to return for the first two weeks of the month but would be grateful for advice.

I know that the Cotton House is closed for most of October and the weather may be a bit hotter but wondered if others would consider it a good time to go, nonetheless. Is the island pretty quiet because the hotel is closed and it is out of season?

We had hoped to hire a villa and thought about both Bali Hai and Grasshopper.

We had also considered visiting Bequia on this occasion, perhaps staying at the Firefly there or the new Bequia Beach Hotel.

I'd be hugely grateful for your thoughts and guidance.

World
Level Contributor
972 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mustique in October?

Candidly October is the worst month of the year for weather in the Caribbean. Granted, the chance of a major tropical storm beating up your particular little spot of paradise is small. But even if a hurricane doesn't catch you right in its path, it disrupts weather patterns for miles around.

Furthermore even if there are no tropical storms it is still the rainy season, so I would expect an hour or so of rain most afternoons.

While the actual air temperature is not much warmer than at any other time of the year, the winds can drop and the humidity rise so that the apparent heat is greater.

As is suggested by the hotel being closed, it is a very very quite time, with most people on the island taking vacation before the start of the season. The season starts with US Thanksgiving at the end of Nov which coincides with the end of Hurricane Season.

Having said all of that there is just as likely a possibility that you will go for two weeks with beautiful weather with just the odd tropic downpour.

If you do decide to go I would attempt to negotiate the villa rental rate. Vacancy will be high and many homeowners might, this year be prepared to consider a discount. In this way you might get the houses you mentioned at a better rate or better houses at the same rate as you were budgeting.

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mustique in October?

Many thanks, MQS. As before, your advice is very helpful.

We have spent my birthday in the Caribbean before (Barbados and St Lucia) and had a fabulous time with super weather. Maybe we were very lucky.

Your advice re villa prices is especially useful and I have already spoken to the rental office and quite a few are available. So perhaps we could strike a good deal as you suggest!

The island being quieter is not such a concern, rather I would want to avoid going in October if it was going to be totally dead.

Would we better to try Bequia or another island this time and revisit Mustique in the new year?

Thanks again. JC

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mustique in October?

With the economy the way it is I would imagine all islands are very quiet. I was in Barbados during March, one of their busiest times, and it was very quiet and business was slow.

If you like Mustique I would stick with that island. In my opinion it's one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean. Frankly I was disappointed with Bequia and their beaches.

Do insist on some sort of discount. People are not traveling very much and hotel rooms and villas are sitting empty.

World
Level Contributor
972 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mustique in October?

While generally not a fan of aircon, I would suggest due to the humidity in Oct that you ensure that the villa you rent has an Air Conditioned bed room. In years past that would have been an issue but over the last few years more and more houses have airconditioning though we still have one bedroom that does not.

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mustique in October?

Thanks again to you both.

With your help, we are pretty much decided that we will go to Mustique again and are hoping to book next week. We think that we might take a house that gives us a bit of room to bring some friends with us. We figure if the island is quiet we need to bring people with us for a party!

Good advice MQS re the aircon - I will check. Do you rent your house out?

World
Level Contributor
972 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mustique in October?

Ours, like the vast majority of houses on the island are rented through the Mustique Company.

Check out www.mustique-island.com for villa selections of all available houses.

You can also call the villa rentals department 01-789-488-8000 and ask for villa rentals, and ask for Jennet the manager or her assistant Collette.

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mustique in October?

Thanks so much - MQS.

We have made a decision to take a house in Mustique for a week with friends. We have secured a discount, as per you advice. We will spend the other two weeks just the two of us split between Bequia and Mustique.

We can't wait and hope it will be a happy celebration.

Doubtless, I will think of something else to ask you guys about between now and then!

Best wishes -JC

World
Level Contributor
972 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mustique in October?

Just curious which house you took and why.

9. Re: Mustique in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 27, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Mustique