We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Carriacou....need help!

Toronto
Level Contributor
263 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Carriacou....need help!

I will be spending 2 days on Carriacou next week, staying at Ade's Dream, with 2 girls aged 10.

Questions:

1. Recommendations for a full day tour of the island, hitting all the highlights? Is there a particular company or guide to use, or do you just arrange for a private taxi?

2. Restaurant recommendations for cheap & cheerful meals, maybe a special meal on Saturday night.

3. Best beach to spend the day on Sunday?

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
560 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Carriacou....need help!

We will be there for the first time March 1st and have read that Paradise Beach is the best. Also a couple of restaurants I've read about - Off the Hook and Hardwood's but not sure both are on this beach. I'm sure others will contribute with more first hand experience.

Winston-Salem
Level Contributor
163 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Carriacou....need help!

For just a drive around the island hitting all the high points check Mr. Thomas taxi man. Not hard to find him around the jetty area in town.

Paradise beach is your best bet. Check Curtis at off de hook to arrange food service right to your beach chair! Or walk down to hardwood for roti or the plate of the day.

You could also get a water taxi to sandy island for better snorkeling and just to be there from paradise beach for a reasonable fee.

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
641 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Carriacou....need help!

Linky is a great taxi driver; very knowledgeable about his island; just ask for him at the taxi stand right off the dock. He was head of the taxi association but I'm not sure if he still is. Be sure to have him take you by the bakery near his house for some local goodies!! We have used him every time we have stayed in Carriacou.

Lincoln Bedeau better known as Linky.

Arundel, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Carriacou....need help!

We are just back from staying at Ade's. The Kayak Café is just opposite the Hotel and serves excellent food at reasonable prices.

Paradise beach is my best beach ever. Off the Hook is good for beach chairs and beers, food just OK.

We stayed for only 3 nights, wish we had stayed longer...oh well, next year....

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
641 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Carriacou....need help!

It's easy to take the bus from town to Paradise Beach. Just tell the driver you want to get off at Paradise Beach. I agree it is a great beach.

ottawa
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Carriacou....need help!

I second the vote for linky. We arrived back a bit early from a trip to Tobago cays and he brought us on an island tour until our flight was ready and paid special attention to the needs of our young daughter. We had made arrangements through simply carriacou. If you like snorkeling, a trip to Tobago cays is not to be missed. Check in this Karen at simply carriacou and you won't be disappointed, it was the highlight of our grenada trip.

swr
Kimberling City MO
Level Contributor
21 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Carriacou....need help!

The beach just a few blocks north of Ade's and in front of Deefer Divers is a nice sandy beach and an easy walk. The beaches were empty when we were there last week.

London, United...
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Carriacou....need help!

Another beach to try is Anse La Roche - best to go by water taxi as it is a long hike from the road, but perfect once you are there. NB, take your own food and especially water as there are no facilities. Eating, Bogles Round House is a must with some of the best food I have had in the whole Caribbean. If you have any interest in boats and sailing go to Windward to see the famous Carriacou sloops being built on the beach in the same way that they have been for many years. This will give you a glimpse into why these boats are so special - https://vimeo.com/32574938

Do go over to Sandy Island and play Robinson Crusoe for a day (water taxi from Paradise Beach) - take, and use, plenty of high level sun block! I would also recommend Mr Thomas, knowledgeable and entertaining - a good man.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Carriacou....need help!

Just a couple doors down from Ade's is Laurena II, good local food, great jerk chicken and pork and good wifi. Not a "special meal" place but nice for lunch.

If you head down the road out of town, left leaving Ade's you will come to a nice beach with picnic tables set up, no restaurants nearby but great for swimming

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Carriacou....need help!

Here's a link to a trip report, with photos, showing the beaches just outside of town

www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/showflat.php…

Get answers to your questions about Carriacou Island