We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Carriacou....

The Caribbean
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Carriacou....

I am in Grenada quite a bit but had only ever been to Carriacou once about 12 years ago, just for the day. Decided to spend 2 nights there. The forum was useful to me so I thought I would report on a few things.

1. I went from Saturday to Monday. Took Osprey from Grenada at 9 am. 2.5 hour trip (smaller boat). Ride smooth. Sun hot! Got a great tan on the deck.

2. Had no idea where I would stay. Wanted to get there and see the accommodation first. On exiting the ferry dock, I turned right on Main street. I had seen PeaceHaven from the boat but when I walked by, I didn't like how congested it felt. Continued walking and came upon Millie's guest house.

3. It is budget accommodation. They have rooms with fans or AC, ensuite or shared bathrooms. Prices are very low. Maximum is about US$60. I wasnt planning on being in the room except to sleep so I took the AC ensuite. I had also considered Ade's Dream but they cost about US$16 more. Rooms were clean. No pests, no hairs. Basic accomodation. Slept soundly.

4. Carriacou is very clean. Even the water by where the ferry docks is clean, which is surprising. I went for a swim in there one evening. You walk beside Millie's through a short grassy pathway and the beach is right there.

5. For lunch the first day, I went to Kayak's. Food was good value for money, great location and attentive owner/staff. See my review separately.

6. Walked around town, then to the bus stand and took a bus to Windward. thought I was going to see people building boats but I guess it was Saturday :). So the bus driver ("Plastic" is his nickname) dropped off his last passenger and took me on a mini tour for US$12.

7. Had dinner at Roundhouse. If you like good food, please go there. Good service too. See my review separately.

8. On Sunday, I headed to Kayak again for breakfast. Then to the ferry dock because I wanted to go to Petite Martinique (PM). Osprey office in Hillsborough wrongly told me that the small tender would come from PM in the morning. When I told the Captain of the boat from Grenada this, he said he would arrange a ride for me. "Chocolate's" speedboat did the job. Paid US$8 to get there.

9. Discovered that PM has no beach! Trip Advisor needs to change their description! Spoke with a lovely man in the petrol station on the dock and he suggested I go to Petit St Vincent (PSV). Chocolate to the rescue again. He dropped me there and picked me back up. There isnt much sand on the part I went to, so it was so-so.

10. Took the Osprey tender from PM to Carriacou.

11. Was to have met up with some friends on Sunday evening but that got cancelled. Headed out on Main Street to find food. Nada. But I heard some music playing and went over to investigate and some fellas were cooking food on a wood fire on the side of the road. Island Style. Dinner! Hung out with them for about 3 hours. Me, a single female. No problems at all.

12. Monday, breakfast at Kayak's again. After the rain finished, took at bus to Paradise Beach (US$1.25), swam for a bit. water clear and shallow. Then walked to the other end of Paradise Beach. Saw where Adam and Even was (right beside Paradise) and Hopes Inn and then Sunset Beach. Looked into a room at Sunset. I much preferred Millie's central location and quality of bed, furniture etc. Took the bus back.

13. Back to check out and headed to Kayak's again where I had a fruit smoothie and stayed until they were locking up (they close at 2:30 Mondays but open later Thur, Fri Satday).

14. Ferry back to Grenada. There was a tropical depression around so some rain and a bit bumpy but fun!..and safe.

So overall, a lovely chill out spot. Much much less developed than Grenada, but that's the beauty of it I think!

you will see the locals saying hello to you. if they don't please say hello first.

You can see Union Island and some of the other Grenadines. If I had had more time, I would have gone to Sandy Island. The white sand looked stunning from Paradise Beach.

Other accommodation I saw the location of....

a. Town House - right in town near the dock.

b. Kims Plaza - around the corner from there.

c. Ades Dream - across from Kayak Kafe

d. John's Unique resort - down the road from Ades

e. Laurena - on that same side, but off the main road.

f. Grand View - off the main road left of the dock up a hill.

g. Bogles Roundhouse - out of town, up a hill or two.

h. Green Roof Inn - ditto. You get to it before Roundouse.

i. Bayleau Cottages - way on the other side of town.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just back from Carriacou....

Off to carriacou on a yoga retreat tomorrow, sounds amazing!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just back from Carriacou....

Two missed major points of Joy on Carriacou:

Butterfly Bar and best darn Pizza I've had.

La Playa Beach Bar, Best Cheeseburger around.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just back from Carriacou....

We had a lovely lunch at the Slipway in Tyrell Bay, very good food and service and pretty cheap. We then went for massage a wee bit further along the beach with a lovely French lady called Genevieve. Excellent and about £30 for an hour.

Sausalito, CA
Level Contributor
101 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just back from Carriacou....

Yes, it was sold. And they have big plans. Same guy as Calivgny, I think. It's that guy that "developed" (looks the same to me) the lagoon in St. George's. They want to build housing with --get this--swimming pools. A. there is no fresh water and B. The most wonderful "swimming pool" has already been provided. Yikes. God save Carriacou from greed, ego and stupidity!

Sausalito, CA
Level Contributor
101 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just back from Carriacou....

Yes, White Island was sold to that guy in Grenada who just loves to mess around with all the nice places. It's the guy that "developed" the lagoon (looks pretty much the same to me). He wants to have people build houses with swimming pools. HA. A. there's no fresh water. B. the best swimming pool is already there.

Think he is having problem getting investors, though. Hopefully God will step in and protect this incredible place. These islands should belong to the people and not be sold by the government.

Edited: 1:24 pm, December 21, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just back from Carriacou....

Hi where did you end up renting? We are considering bogles but not sure of beck quality there.

Many thanks

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just back from Carriacou....

First-times off to Carriacou/Grenada for 2 weeks in Mid September. We know we're taking chances going to Caribbean in Hurricane/rainy season (we got insurance, Ya Mon) but timing and prices hit the "I NEED A VACATION" gland straight on, so off we go. We've booked Belaire cottage basically because of tons of good reviews, location, and very good responsiveness of owners to our enquiries.

We've wanted to go to Grenada for some time, but it seems like other destinations, plus a serious infatuation with Bali for a couple of years, seem to come first so now we go to see what we see and, probably, fall in love with another place to go back to.

Enjoyed your report (even if it's a bit dated) and appreciate any other Carriacou or Grenada tips that are posted.

thanks

Joe

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just back from Carriacou....

We will be in Carriacou in October. Is it worth doing a day trip to the other islands?

Thanks.

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Just back from Carriacou....

We loved Carriacou. We had a fabulous day trip to Tobago Cays organized by Karen at Simply Carriacou (simplycarriacou.com). I highly recommend this - great snorkelling and lunch on the beach. Be sure to eat at Moringa in Hillsboro and the Lazy Turtle in Tyrell Bay. Fabulous food and great hosts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just back from Carriacou....

Thanks, we plan to squeeze as much in as we can. We're spending 4 days in Grenada and 4 in Carriacou, so i'm hoping it won't feel rushed.

Get answers to your questions about Carriacou Island