I am in Grenada quite a bit but had only ever been to Carriacou once about 12 years ago, just for the day. Decided to spend 2 nights there. The forum was useful to me so I thought I would report on a few things.
1. I went from Saturday to Monday. Took Osprey from Grenada at 9 am. 2.5 hour trip (smaller boat). Ride smooth. Sun hot! Got a great tan on the deck.
2. Had no idea where I would stay. Wanted to get there and see the accommodation first. On exiting the ferry dock, I turned right on Main street. I had seen PeaceHaven from the boat but when I walked by, I didn't like how congested it felt. Continued walking and came upon Millie's guest house.
3. It is budget accommodation. They have rooms with fans or AC, ensuite or shared bathrooms. Prices are very low. Maximum is about US$60. I wasnt planning on being in the room except to sleep so I took the AC ensuite. I had also considered Ade's Dream but they cost about US$16 more. Rooms were clean. No pests, no hairs. Basic accomodation. Slept soundly.
4. Carriacou is very clean. Even the water by where the ferry docks is clean, which is surprising. I went for a swim in there one evening. You walk beside Millie's through a short grassy pathway and the beach is right there.
5. For lunch the first day, I went to Kayak's. Food was good value for money, great location and attentive owner/staff. See my review separately.
6. Walked around town, then to the bus stand and took a bus to Windward. thought I was going to see people building boats but I guess it was Saturday :). So the bus driver ("Plastic" is his nickname) dropped off his last passenger and took me on a mini tour for US$12.
7. Had dinner at Roundhouse. If you like good food, please go there. Good service too. See my review separately.
8. On Sunday, I headed to Kayak again for breakfast. Then to the ferry dock because I wanted to go to Petite Martinique (PM). Osprey office in Hillsborough wrongly told me that the small tender would come from PM in the morning. When I told the Captain of the boat from Grenada this, he said he would arrange a ride for me. "Chocolate's" speedboat did the job. Paid US$8 to get there.
9. Discovered that PM has no beach! Trip Advisor needs to change their description! Spoke with a lovely man in the petrol station on the dock and he suggested I go to Petit St Vincent (PSV). Chocolate to the rescue again. He dropped me there and picked me back up. There isnt much sand on the part I went to, so it was so-so.
10. Took the Osprey tender from PM to Carriacou.
11. Was to have met up with some friends on Sunday evening but that got cancelled. Headed out on Main Street to find food. Nada. But I heard some music playing and went over to investigate and some fellas were cooking food on a wood fire on the side of the road. Island Style. Dinner! Hung out with them for about 3 hours. Me, a single female. No problems at all.
12. Monday, breakfast at Kayak's again. After the rain finished, took at bus to Paradise Beach (US$1.25), swam for a bit. water clear and shallow. Then walked to the other end of Paradise Beach. Saw where Adam and Even was (right beside Paradise) and Hopes Inn and then Sunset Beach. Looked into a room at Sunset. I much preferred Millie's central location and quality of bed, furniture etc. Took the bus back.
13. Back to check out and headed to Kayak's again where I had a fruit smoothie and stayed until they were locking up (they close at 2:30 Mondays but open later Thur, Fri Satday).
14. Ferry back to Grenada. There was a tropical depression around so some rain and a bit bumpy but fun!..and safe.
So overall, a lovely chill out spot. Much much less developed than Grenada, but that's the beauty of it I think!
you will see the locals saying hello to you. if they don't please say hello first.
Other accommodation I saw the location of....
a. Town House - right in town near the dock.
b. Kims Plaza - around the corner from there.
c. Ades Dream - across from Kayak Kafe
d. John's Unique resort - down the road from Ades
e. Laurena - on that same side, but off the main road.
f. Grand View - off the main road left of the dock up a hill.
g. Bogles Roundhouse - out of town, up a hill or two.
h. Green Roof Inn - ditto. You get to it before Roundouse.
i. Bayleau Cottages - way on the other side of town.