We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

Just thought I'd give details on Carriacou during Carnival for those interested. We spent two weeks in Grenada, half of it in Carriacou at the Grand View Inn. The food we had in Carriacou was a lot better than what we had in Grenada, but we mainly stuck to the restaurants in Grand Anse in/around Spiceland Mall. In Carriacou, Bogles, La Playa, Kayak, Laurena II and the blue restaurant at Paradise Beach were all excellent and exceeded expectations. The Grand View Inn is great for Carnival, the sound from the parties doesn't carry that far. Buses between Hillsborough and the Grand View are EC2.50/person (short ride) if you don't feel like walking. Being on that side of town is good because you can get to the restaurants without having to get through the Carnival crowd.

We took the ferry to Carriacou the Thursday before Carnival weekend and it was quite full. If you're able, go to the Osprey Office in advance and buy your tickets so they're in hand and you don't have to wait in a big line on the dock. Friday night the big parties started - the area around the dock is where the main action is and there's parties there Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights. I don't think there was much Carnival activity during the day Friday-Sunday. We went sailing in the Grenadines with the Scaramouche on Saturday and Paradise Beach on Sunday. Paradise Beach was busy because of Carnival but it's not really that crowded, no more so than Grand Anse might look on a normal day.

Monday morning is J'ouvert/Jab-Jab. No need to get up particularly early, the party was still going strong by the time we went to Kayak for breakfast around 9-10am. Lots of people covered in paint and oil. Monday afternoon/evening there's a parade - I think we went around 430pm or a bit later and if you pay EC5, you can go into the stadium and watch everyone lining up for the parade and doing a practice run - totally worth it, especially if you want photos. The parade on the street passes quite quickly and I think it started maybe around 6pm.

Tuesday morning is Shakespeare Mas. It actually starts in one of the villages, I think Mt. Royal, and the participants walk down to Hillsborough for the main event, which I think happened around noon - right by the dock. The area got packed so you may want to go early to try and get a good vantage point. There's another party on Tuesday night but it gets shut down at midnight.

Wednesday was totally dead, a lot of places closed to get some rest after Carnival. Until this day, it was easy for us to find a place for dinner but luckily we went down earlier than normal because even by around 6pm most places were either closed or out of food and in the process of closing.

We didn't go to the tourist office until Tuesday when we were trying to figure out when/where Shakespeare Mas was happening - they were very helpful, we probably should have dropped by earlier. We used two different taxi drivers - the first one overcharged us from the ferry to the hotel, but the second one (Mr. Thomas) was fantastic.

Hope this information is helpful :)

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,093 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

Thank you for this report. Hopefully next year ... !

Simi Valley Ca
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

Thanks for the Carnival trip report. I'm doing preliminary planning now to see if I can pull off the carnival visit for 2013. My wife and I are carnival veterans and have been to Carriacou once in 2007 prior to Grenada Carnival. We stayed at the Laurena that year. Grand View sounds nice but the climb up the hill doesn't.

I would like to be in town so its between Ade's and Laurena, or?

Has Laurena changed ownership? We didn't have any problems but from the older reviews it seems some people wern't too happy.

Also, does anyone know if there will be a place to watch the Superbowl?

Any advise and related info would be much appreciated.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

Thanks for the trip report! I've been to Grenada twice but still haven't made it over to Carriacou. Sounds like a great time!

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

Thanks for the TR - we watched the Grenada carnival from the hotel restaurant - seemed way too hot and crowded for our tastes though! Several of the students returned in the a.m. for breakfast covered in the oil and paint!

Do you recall how long the ferry ride to Carriacou was? Was it a choppy ride?

The reason I'm asking is that I've considered the ferry to Carriacou, but I get seasick if I'm on a boat too long.

I'm trying to decide if I should pony up for the flight or if I can tolerate the ferry for our next trip. Carriacou and Tobago Cays are on our 'must do' list the next time we go.

Edited: 11:02 am, September 01, 2012
Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
633 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

The ferry to Carriacou takes about 1 1/2 hrs. It can get quite choppy especially if it is a rainy day. I definitely get sea sick but I take 2 bonine a couple of hours before I get on the ferry; a light breakfast of tea and dry toast; and I sit outside on the upper deck. The one time I got sea sick was a rainy day, and we had to sit inside; it was a very rough trip.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

Yep - that's what I was afraid of - Bonine and the like put me out like a light (cheap date!) - I guess I'll just suck it up and go by air. Oh well! More time for snorkeling then!

Simi Valley Ca
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

We took the Osprey ferry over to Carriacou from Grenada in August just before the Grenada carnival.

It was so rough that almost everyone on the boat was sick and vomiting, the boat was periodically going airborne and water was coming in through the windows. There was even fear on the face of some crew members. And it wasn't even a stormy day. Pretty uncomfortable and scary experience to say the least.

I don't know how often that happens but we were told that going North from Grenada to Carriacou is when it is most likely to be rough going.

All the flights were booked when we went because of the Regatta Festival so we had to return by ferry as well but the ride back was fairly smooth and nobody got sick .

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

I did Carnival on Carriacou this past year, great time by all, very family friendly.

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
633 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

The ferry back to Grenada from Carriacou is a breeze as you aren't hitting the head winds. Piece of cake!! By the way, you know people get sick on the ferry to Carriacou when the crew comes through handing out barf bags with their logo on them!!

10. Re: Trip report - Carriacou Carnival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Carriacou Island