We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Canouan

Sydney, Australia
13 posts
Save Topic
Ferry to Canouan

Hi,

I'm flying into Grenada from Barbados and plan to do some island hopping. I am very keen to see Grenada, Carriacou, and Canouan, yet it seems tough/impossible to get from Carriacou to Canouan.

Can someone please advise the best way to do this by sea? Are there any new ferry services operating?

Your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Canouan

It's possible but will take a few days. You can catch the Osprey ferry to Carriacou, the Jasper mailboat to Union and the ferry to Canouan. The mailboat does not go every day.

As for the new ferry system, it does not have a start date.

Edited: 7:37 pm, February 07, 2011
B-More
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Canouan

The MV Jasper leaves Carriacou for Union Island around 12 noon on Mondays and Thursday. The cost is $25 EC. Be sure to check in with immigration to find out when you need to have them make note that you are leaving the country by sea.

The Jaden Sun leaves Union for Kingstown via Canouan and Bequia on Thursday, Friday and Saturday afternoons. The fare from Union to Bequia is $65 EC.

Edited: 7:46 pm, February 07, 2011
Sydney, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Canouan

Ok thanks very much for that.

Not exactly what i wanted to hear though!

How does Petit Martinique compare with Canouan, or are there any other islands around that are easily accessible that might make a good substitute for Canouan?

We are after beautiful beaches - and i have been told that Canouan has some of the best!

Thanks

B-More
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Canouan

I've never visited Petite Martinique, but it is probably too small for me.

I found Union Island to be a pleasant surprise. My girlfriend and I stayed just outside of Ashton in Campbell. We wouild walk into Clifton for shopping, meals, drinks, etc. We actually explored much of Union on foot. Chatham Bay was a nice secluded beach which was well worth the hike to get there. There were a few other beaches that aren't on the map. You could also book a day trip to the Tobago Cays from Union.

Sydney, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Canouan

Great, thanks very much for your help! I'm a first time trip advisor user and this site is fantastic...

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Canouan

Sorry to trouble you further, but do you know the schedule if i was to do it in reverse - ie from Canouan, then to Union, then to Carriacou?

Would that be any easier (or much the same)?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

B-More
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Canouan

These websites might help you put something together that works:

http://www.bequiatourism.com/around.htm

http://jadeninc.com/ferry/about/

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Canouan

If you want beautiful beaches , mark Petit Martinique off your list. The island is just a very small fishing village with a not-so-nice beach. There is literally nothing to do there other than just chill out. Only a couple of guest houses and no restaurants as you eat at the guest houses. Been there, done it and don't need to return.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,265 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Canouan

You will find a very nice beach already on Cariacou - Paradise Beach. If this one is not "Caribbean" enough then take a water taxi to White Island.

Sydney, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry to Canouan

Yes i've seen Paradise Beach and it looks great, i'll be sure to check it out.

White island? sounds good, thanks very much for the advice!

Cheers

Get answers to your questions about Carriacou Island