We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

Grenada
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

We were just returning from a beautiful dive on the pristine reef around Bequia today when we happened to pass Moonhole Bay. I immediately noticed that a white catamaran 'S/Y Zerlina' was anchored directly onto the reef fringing this bay.

I make my living on Bequia as a Dive Instructor and cannot condone ignorant sailors anchoring on our reefs.

I asked our boat captain to drive a little closer, whereby we noticed that there were divers in the water close to the yacht. We also noticed that whoever was on board was emptying the heads and we could clearly see effluent flowing out of the boat and into the shallow water above the reef.

Both anchoring on the fragile reef system AND pumping out poo really does NOT protect our reef but destroy it. As divers we need to respect the reef otherwise everyone will lose out in the long term.

I have attached some photos of these not-so-lovely water users and also a photo I took yesterday in Moonhole Bay of a beautiful Longsnout Seahorse (right underneath where the boat was anchored today).

We are diving at Moonhole Bay this afternoon so I will be very interested to see what state the reef is in after 'S/Y Zerlina' has removed their anchor.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

A wind & sea catamaran also fouled it's anchor in Moonhole bight 2 days ago. We wrote them & supplied photos. It makes no sense to bring a boatload of snorkel era into a precious area, while dropping anchor right on coral reefs. Stupid & greedy.

Grenada
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

Yes Potomac... I often see "Wind and Sea" day charter boat also anchoring on that reef. Sadly they don't know the meaning of a dive flag either as they have repeatedly driven straight over the top of me whilst diving in Moonhole Bay.

Grenada
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

We do need to protect our environment in order to enjoy it and all the things in it. Bit shocked at your whaling comment though BEQUIAUK... Surely the marine life needs to be protected just as much as the reef?

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

Pollypirate,

I do not eat whale myself and I do understand and appreciate your comment however; the whaling in the islands has been around for a considerable number of years and a way of life for the local people. Furthermore it is done in moderation; they do not whale of a large scale commercial basis as other larger countries with a wider range of economic opportunities do.

please have a look at the following link (JAPAN)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17312460

Now that is very disturbing..!

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

Rading this "I do not eat whale myself and I do understand and appreciate your comment however; the whaling in the islands has been around for a considerable number of years and a way of life for the local people. Furthermore it is done in moderation; they do not whale of a large scale commercial basis as other larger countries with a wider range of economic opportunities do. "

This can apply to the reef and this discussion. If you dont dive/sail yourself, what's wrong with anchoring in the coral in moderation? Afterall there is lots of ocean floor for the reefs to grow on. And people have been wrecking the reefs for a considerable number of years. They dont dump sewage out of their tanks in large quantities on a commercial basis. So it cant be a problem, eh? I hope you see my point that anything man does can be explained away by "moderation", "small scale", "non-commercial". I disagree with whaling and dumping sewage and anchoring on the reef. Oh well, I cant stop it, but I can stop myself from supporting those who do.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
832 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

Pote,

While I would say that I am not "in favour" of whaling, I do find it somewhat hypocritical to condemn whaling for food by local populations in Bequia and not condemn sport fishing anywhere, or hunting for moose and deer by native North American peoples, or others,, etc. While the whale population was endangered by commercial whaling, the hunitng of 1 or 2 in SVG is not going to make an impact on the species survival. Yes, they are magnificent and intelligent animals, but so are many others that are hunted routinely. Howver, I take great exception to your comparing the Bequia whale hunt to the cretins who drop their anchors on reefs and dump their sewage there. (I take exception to anyone dumping raw sewage in the water anywhere, having grown up with pristine waters in the Great Lakes, which were gradually despoiled by sewage and chemical dumping, and this is what is happening to the oceans.)

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

Hi Bear. I appreciate your perspective. Respect for, and appropriate use of natural resources and the environment is a tricky balancing act. It's so hard comprehend our impact in everything we do. Removing whales, turtles and coral from the planet are all easy to deplore, and so is dumping raw sewage in the water - and on land, for that matter. As I grow older and hopefully more educated, I recognize that humans need to eat and excrete to survive. I'm not a fan of eating rare and endangered foods or spoiling exotic terrains, I think we both agree on that. I hope that soon the islanders can find sustainable, easily renewable food to survive on and I also hope that visitors will respect the places they visit so others can enjoy them too. And lets not get started about cigarette smokers using the streets and beaches as their ashtrays. Peace and good travels.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

I do agree with Bear, it is a historical legacy which is not conducted on a scale that will endanger the whale population. I believe the whale issue is attracting much attention because they are iconic and therefore lovely to watch by many of us humans but so are the Bears, snakes and all the other animals hunted to make the lovely fashion designer clothes, shoes etc.. that a lot of us crave.

Therefore I don't think it is to be a stop whaling act but rather, implementing control measures like we see in place today.

And please let us not compare whaling with the dumping of raw sewage on coral reefs.

I hope we all keep enjoying the islands and look after them more!

Regards

World
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

The Bequia whaling licence allows for the taking of adult male whales. But it seems that the usual practice is to take a slower-swimming baby whale first and use that as bait to attract the mother. Many people - locals and foreigners alike - have concerns about this as it does threaten the continuation of the species. Certainly not on the same appalling scale as the Japanese, but still...

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Disgusting and destructive... S/Y Zerlina.

Your comment is much welcomed.. However that is an issue for the authorities to address. If that is common practice then I do agree it should be dealt with...