We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bequia Hospital

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Bequia Hospital

I'm struggling to find contact details for one of the doctors at the hospital. I have found the general telephone number but don't really want to trouble the staff on that unless I have to. I wondered whether one of you helpful people on the island might be able to assist.

The reason I ask -

When in Bequia last year, we had to visit the hospital. Gladly, it was nothing serious but we were treated with great kindness and professionalism by the nurse we met.

My wife, a GP in London, was quite saddened to learn that (what she regards as) quite basic medical supplies and drugs are difficult to get hold of for the hospital, principally due to funding but also the remoteness of the island. We said that we would be happy to bring some supplies and donate them to the hospital the next time we visited. The nurse gave us a list of stuff needed at that time but that was some time ago and I'd like to check if the needs have changed at all before we visit again at Christmas.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bequia Hospital

Here is the phone number for the Bequia hospital.

784 458 3294

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bequia Hospital

LondonJc - if you don't have any luck with a direct phone number for one of the doctors, may I suggest you PM fellow Tripadvisor member 'snillor' who I know regularly brings medical supplies over for the benefit of the island. They may be able to give you some guidance.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bequia Hospital

Oh geez, sorry about that. I didn't realize you already had the main number.

richmond va.
Level Contributor
111 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bequia Hospital

Although I can't speak specifically for the Bequia clinic, any basic supplies from gauze,tape, bandaids(plasters) sutures, any medicines,especially antiobiotics(ciprofloxin,septrin,cephalasporins) which are often in short supply, are always welcome. In my 20+ years of doing volunteeer medicine and surgery in St. Vincent and bringing down all sorts of equipment, I've realized that anything that can break(mechanical/electrical) is probably not worth bringing since there is limited capabilty to repair the item. I hope this helps,PM me if you have any questions.

On a second note the World Pediatric Project is raising money to expand the pediatric services in the country. My wife and I helped to introduce them to St.Vincent and they have hired a full time pediatric surgeon (Dr. Plummer) to work in St. Vincent.. With tremendous help and support from the Governor General, Dr. Ballantyne, they have also flown over 100 children to Virginia for complex surgery and have worked with volunteer surgeons to operate on hundreds of children from the entire region in Kingstown. Presently the are working with the Mustique Corp. to raise enough money to continue to refurbish the operating rooms in Kingstown. They have an auction every year where a number of properties in the region are donated for a week to raise money > than $400,000 last year. Any property owners that would like to get involved please contact me or check out the WPP website ...

www.worldpediatricproject.org/ . It is a great organization that is slowly helping to improve healthcare throughout the region.

thanks,

snillor

London, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bequia Hospital

Thank you, Snillor. That's a huge help!

Alaigne, France
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bequia Hospital

Good morning to all who love Bequia!

We have had wonderful times there and want to stay on island for a three month visit to ensure it really suits us before committing to buying a property.

There is a snag with such a long visit, and that is the supply of medication. My wife needs long term serious pain relief and other medicines which we cannot bring with us in sufficient quantity. Does anyone have an email address for one of the local Doctors or the Hospital so that I can ask the questions without bothering the phone lines? This will also enable me to list the items instead of trying to spell them out!

Any clues will be appreciated.

We would love to help with the supplies shortages mentioned above, but the stupid airline luggage rules prevent it.

Thanks in advance.

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bequia Hospital

Chris B....

Dr Fancesca Burnham Onu...has clinic days in Bequia once a week on Wednesdays above Bequia Venture... Kingstown the rest of the time...

fburnhamonu@gmail.com

Hopefully she can help you out or recommend you to someone else if she can't...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bequia Hospital

There is a not-for-profit organization with tax-free status in Canada & the US which sends supplies to the Bequia hospital, amongst other things. It has been around for many years and is called the Bequia Mission. I have sent quite a bit of prescription drugs through them. They have a local committee on Bequia headed by a former Chief Administrative Officer of the island named Sylvester Tannis, who was also head of Customs on the island. He can get things through customs easily. The committee is quite up on local needs. You should contact Linda Harrier, an American who lives in Evanston and is the head of the Bequia Missions medical committee for more detailed information. She can be reached at TLHarrier@aol.com Thanks for your interest.

Alaigne, France
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bequia Hospital

Many thanks for your helpful answers.

I have now also found an email address for the Imperial Pharmacy in Port Elizabeth, so hopefully I will be able to get some success with one or the other.

10. Re: Bequia Hospital

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, December 15, 2013