We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bequia in January

Save Topic
Bequia in January

I'm considering giving my daughter [and her boyfriend, I suppose]a short vacation in Bequia for her Christmas present. She has been considering Bequia seriously for a couple of years for a July trip. I was wondering if Bequia is good in January. She is especially fond of snorkelling and windsurfing. Is January too cold? Are there too many people in January? Neither she nor her boyfriend care for crowds. Is it really confusing to work the 'getting there' part? She's never been out of the country on her own. Do I have enough lead time to make it work? Thanks for any info you can provide. Sincerely.

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
World
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bequia in January

I expect that a number of people are leaving the Grenadines on the 9th (including me) What this means is that there may be two seats available on a shared charter from SVG or Mustique Airways. When you contact them ask about this and ask if they have any private charters that have spare seats that the charter party may wish to share to reduce their costs. This may mean that they will have to stop in Mustique or somewhere on the way back but it means that they can stay on Bequia until about noon.

I unfortunatly have 5 people already on an Aero Commander (which means our baggage will be limited to 240 lbs total for all of us (We will have to leave the books behind)

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bequia in January

I believe there are flights on LIAT and Caribbean Star leaving SVD on the 9th at 11:35am and 11:45am.

Do a search on sidestep.com with your US departure city and SVD and it will show you options that have LIAT and Carib Star.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
World
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bequia in January

what naptowner says - Caribbean Star connections have always worked for me and are considerably less expensive.

also, there is no fiddle tradition on Bequia (the local instrument, perhaps unique to Bequia ?, is called a quattro). Bluegrass and country music are very popular and jamming is welcomed both at the Sunday afternoon jump-ups at de Reef, during music nights at Gingerbread, and at Coco's stringband music nights as well.

At Coco's, look for a very tall banjo player whose name escapes me at the moment...the rest of the band is fun but this guy is a superb musician and if he sees you are listening, he just ups the ante and plays his heart out. One year, a bluegrass band from Kentucky came to Bequia just to hang out with him, after hearing some recordings and working with a banjo he had built.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Bequia
Bequia
World
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bequia in January

As mentioned in my previous post, there is no need to overnight in St. Vincent if they take the Caribbean Star mid-morning flights to Barbados or if they decide to share a charter as mentioned by anothe poster.

If they do decide to do an overnight, then Beachcombers in Villa is probably the place. Or they could fly into Barbados a day early and overnight at the Peach and Quiet, a real treat at about $79US for the night, meals not included.

If they end up having a long layover in Barbados, I'd suggest taking a taxi to Miami Beach, about 20-25 minutes away and spending the time there. Freshwater showers and changing rooms are available (free) and there is an inexpensive canteen, cheap beach chairs for rent ($5-10BDOS) and lots of shade. The beach is gorgeous. The taxi ride should be 30-40BDOS each way. alternately, hanging out at Frankie's open air bar across the parking lot from the airport is not a bad choice either.

Mentioned in this post
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
World
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bequia in January

On Fridays and Saturdays, a small truck selling fresh fruit and veggies from St. Vincent parks near the 'elite dress shop' shack in Lower Bay. Also, a local woman sells her own delicious organically grown veggies from her house just near the bottom of heart attack hill across from the beach. As another poster says, there is a fruit and veggie market in Port Elizabeth with lots of supplies, but I find dealing with the rastas a big hassle. I either use an old fellow whose stall is at the front of the far end of the market or Carol who has an independent stall on the other side of the street further up the road from the market. Local fruit is cheap. Tomatos, lettuce, etc are dear.

As to snorkelling, Low Bay guest house offers access to the moderate to excellent snorkelling along the reefs at either end of the beach. Julie's is in Port Elizabeth and there is no snorkelling there.

Mentioned in this post
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
192 Reviews
Bequia
World
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bequia in January

Wayne Gooding is the banjo player referred to earlier...also a boatbuilder (not models)

New York City
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Bequia in January

Hello Martha,

I just finished planning and booking my trip to Bequia today! Perfect timing for a question like this. The getting there part can be tricky. But they say that the ferry out of St. Vincent is a good experience and way to get into Bequia - although there are local flights that fly into the island from places like Barbados and other surrounding islands. That local flight is the very very tricky part and usually you have to do it on your own. Contacting SVG Air, Carribean Sun and Carribean Star to do it. You can also go through Orbitz.com (which is what I literally spent an entire week doing and checking until I found the lowest possible fare) and it gets you into St. Vincent. As long as you are in St. Vincent before 5pm so you can catch the 6pm ferry, or at least by 6, so you can catch the last 7pm ferry, you should be ok. It will be my first time there, but I found the Conde Nast Traveler website to be very informative on the island, and places to stay, travel tips and other links as well. I would say go for it. If you use Orbitz, use the expanded search option for flights leaving one day before and after your target dates. It will give you the best price option. There are a lot of connections, but from what I hear it is well worth it. :-) Best wishes!

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean