We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 2/52 in August for a family holiday

UK
Level Contributor
469 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 2/52 in August for a family holiday

Thank you to everyone who offered me advice before our trip to Bequia. Unfortunately I can't head it under 'Piperie Villa' at present.

We travelled from London (BA via Barbados then onwards with SVG) in one day. A very smooth journey with only 2 hrs at Barbados. We took an overnight bag in case, but luckily it wasn't needed.

Accommodation. We rented Piperie Villa above PM beach. The location was perfect for us; the beach was everything we could've hoped for & so quiet. We were able to walk into town or over to Lower Bay & get a taxi back. Piperie offers beautiful views, from a large terrace, over the beach & only a 2 min walk away. It has a rather inconvenient design of 3 separate buildings which is a bore to lock up. The upstairs den with tv, while attractive, has no AC so not really usuable in august. The 3 bedrooms are spacious. The housekeeper Cass kept it really clean. There are 2 stray dogs who live there who we became rather attached to.

We booked the villa through Grenadine Island Villas who were incredibly helful; answering all my questions before hand, arranging supplies in the villa on arrival & generally being a great source of information whilst we were on the island.

We certainly didn't go hungry! Knights & Doris's had most things we needed, supplemented by the bakery below Julie's guesthouse. Although some restaurants were closed we found some great places to eat; chicken roti at Porthole, conch curry at Dawns, lovely food at Cocos & of course Mac's pizzas. In the interests of research I think the best cocktails were at Happy Hour at Maria's French Terrace...

I had imagined that we'd do masses of trips but we did seem to spend a lot of time lolling on the beach, fishing off the jetty & deciding where to eat.

We did go on the Friendship Rose to Tobago Cays. The rest of my family loved it but I'm afraid the Dramamine didn't work for me (not discreet Jon & Jo!). It's a beautiful boat, the food was great & the Cays are glorious. My only reservation would be the lack of shade if the boat was full.

We used Dive Bequia. In the absence of Cathy it was run by a friendly & professional English couple, Chris & Liz. They take safety seriously but are also great fun. My sons took the PADI Open Water course ( having read the theory beforehand) with Suzanne which was a very positive experience. They were given excellent tuition with plenty of time. We then all dived as a family.The whole dive centre is superbly run & highly recommended.

We fully intended to hire a car but found it more cost effective to take a taxi. Julian Olliviere was friendly & reliable.

Any downsides? Well, in low season it is really quiet. This was a bonus for us; all the local residents were friendly, we didn't need to make reservations. All the other holiday makers were really friendly.

The weather was great but I understand that maybe we were lucky to avoid a lot of rain.

Thw mosquitos were out in force, despite Deet/Off/coils/nets we didn't escape them & have the bites to prove it!

A final comment about Jacks Bar; we found the staff to be the least friendly, the meals were $$ & I understand that in high season they play live music without regard to residents of the area. They also built a high wall blocking the path from PM beach to PE...we decided to give it a wide birth.

Would we go back to Bequia? Yes probably next year. Most likely to PM beach, but not Piperie (maybe Princess Hill, Gumbo Limbo or Flamingo). We'll use Grenadine Island Villas & Dive Bequia. We'll take plenty of Off & dream about it until then..or we could always read Selmas poems (yes I know!!)

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Tobago Cays
Tobago Cays
336 Reviews
Dive Bequia
Dive Bequia
165 Reviews
Bequia
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
881 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 2/52 in August for a family holiday

Great trip report-thanks for taking the time to post it. Bequia is beautiful!

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
UK
Level Contributor
469 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 2/52 in August for a family holiday

Thank you. Having reread what I've written I don't think I've stressed how much we all loved Bequia; the scenery, people, beaches etc. It really is a perfect holiday destination. My sons said I should've mentioned 1.The hike & wave swimming in Hope Bay 2. The turtle sanctuary & 3. Maranne's icecreams (passionfruit & banana being the favourites). We're hoping to go back next summer.

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
Lyon, France
Level Contributor
39 posts
739 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 2/52 in August for a family holiday

thanks for sharing,very informative review:)

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 2/52 in August for a family holiday

We met polski483 in Bequia and would agree with all her comments! What an amazing place. We stayed in the Village Apartments (I've posted a review on there) and would recommend them. Hope to go back to beautiful Bequia again.

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
alamo, CA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 2/52 in August for a family holiday

Thanks for the information on Bequia. We're considering Piperie Villa, and are interested in why you wouldn't rent it again in spite of your positive review above. Also, you mentioned the beaches and views. Are you able to see both lower beach and PM's beach, or just the former? Are there trails down to the beaches?

Thanks!

Grnvlyglfr

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
UK
Level Contributor
469 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 2/52 in August for a family holiday

Have sent you a PM.

7. Re: Trip Report 2/52 in August for a family holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 14, 2010