We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the dos and don'ts of Bequia? where to stay?

Denver, CO
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
the dos and don'ts of Bequia? where to stay?

Hello, a group of four of us will be traveling to Bequia for the first time in a couple of weeks but can't decide where to stay! What are the benifits of villa rental over hotel/ apartment stay? Am I to understand that if we wish to stay on a good snorkeling beach for the week that Lower Bay would be our best bet? Last would we enjoy the benifits of staying further away from town rather than in Port Elizabeth/ Bellmont? Can't wait to hear some advice!

Denver, CO
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: the dos and don'ts of Bequia? where to stay?

Cool, when are you going? And where did you decide to stay? Hi Curious..is now a really slow time on the island (ie everyone on vaca?), or are they just superlaid back all the time? I am having difficulty getting people to respond to me. Maybe cause I ask so many questions, ha ha.

Have you heard anything of Casablanca house? What do you really think of Kingsville Apts. What area of the island do you reside in? How's the weather been...have you heard anything about tropical storms forcast? they are reporting out here that the carib is expecting a pretty active hurricane season!

World
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: the dos and don'ts of Bequia? where to stay?

Yeah, everything slows down after the Easter Regatta. July-September are pretty well comatose and lots of folk go and visit relatives in North America, the UK and Europe. Kingsville Apartments/Casablanca house are actually very nice - modern, well maintained, right actoss from the beach and a short uphill walk to Nando's (very important !).

I stay in Low Bay as well, and just love it - it has the perfect combination of laid back atmosphere and easy going village social life that I enjoy.

Everyone is expecting a wild hurricane season because it has been so much hotter than normal...for ten days in May the trade winds virtually stopped, which is unheard of so early in the season.

Denver, CO
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: the dos and don'ts of Bequia? where to stay?

Ok we finally did it, booked with Kay this afternoon! Thanks for all your info Curious, and others. Will you be there this time of year? Have you found a good site by which we can track the weather out there? I'm really looking forward to this trip! It does sound extreemly quiet out there now. I'm wondering if alot of businesses will be closed ween we are there?

Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: the dos and don'ts of Bequia? where to stay?

I do think the northeast of the island is well worth considering. Being on the east (windward) side of the island definitely has its advantages, especially during the summer months, when it helps beat the heat and the bugs.

During our visit last July we stayed in Moonhole and really loved the area--Burke house is in a lovely setting, there's some great hiking (be sure to hike to the west end of the island if you stay there) and the beach there is fantastic. However we did get bitten up pretty badly by mosquitoes, particularly at night. A good dose of repellent and careful mosquito netting usage helped, but it definitely made it less pleasant. It may well have been unusually buggy that year as some said, but in any case it was clear to us that the breezes on the east coast and the generally drier climate there definitely kept the bugs down relative to just about anywhere else on the island.

At least as important for me, the breezes also keep the summer heat down. As on most islands, the leeward coast is the place to be for sailing ships seeking protected harbor, and that's why the main town was built there. But man, on summer afternoons, with the sun bearing straight in your face and the hills to the east blocking what little breeze there is, you really have to wonder why more folks don't live on the windward side. Of course there's more risk of storm damage, and as curiousx says, some people might find the wind to actually be a negative (but not me--as a windsurfer I'm programmed to equate wind with pleasure :-). Interestingly, we didn't find that Friendship Bay was much better in this regard--it's such a nice big indented bay that the east headland seems to block most of the wind, although I'd guess that the west side would catch more breezes.

The really great thing about the Spring/Industry area is that it's only about 10 minutes from the harbor on a nice, easy driving road, with very few hairy sections and very little traffic. The same can't be said of Moonhole, which is a bit of a drive from town. We sure did it a lot and it was no big deal to me, but it is not a relaxing drive and it does take a bit of time, and some drivers would definitely balk at taking it on.

As curiousx says, if you're looking at the east coast definitely check out the villas in Spring, and I'd also look at the Crescent Upper/Lower villas in lovely Industry Bay (http://www.villaworld.co.uk/villa_detail.asp?objid=266 and also at www.hideaways.com). They are two 2-bedroom units (although the lower one was long-term rented last I checked), and they're very nice. If you haven't seen it already, http://www.bequia.net/villas.htm is the most comprehensive listing of Bequia villas that I've seen.

Get answers to your questions about Bequia