We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Topic
Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

Great Forum! My wife and i will be chartering (35' Sun Odyssey) for a week at the end of June into early July. We are so excited to make the trip from St. Vincent to Bequia and see the place for the first time.

We are getting a few cruising guides this week that will most likely help solidify the float plan but i wanted to see if there were other folks on this board that could share their perfect St. Vincent intinerary with us.

I wanted to see what this forum suggested for amount of time to spend on Bequia vs. heading south to see some more of the islands. In our research Bequia seems to be fit well with a great place to spend a few days. We do want to see the Cays and are up in the air about what we may be able to see and do on Mustique and Canouan. I just dont know enough about those places yet.

Thanks for any ideas or experiences you could recommend.

Marcus

World
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

if you have not checked out a website called 'usual suspects sailing', I suggest you do. It's a really comprehensive first hand insiders' guide to sailing in the Grenadines. Also Doyle's I think is first rate. And have a look at the website for www.caribbeancompass.com - a publication for yachties published from Bequia.

One week is not much time and where you go depends a lot on where you will be chartering from. If from St. Vincent, then I would recommend two days in Bequia (provision here), skip Mustique (OK, a day in Mustique if you must); skip Canouan, one or days n the Tobago Cays, a day in Saltwhistle Bay (Mayreau), then back to Bequia for your last day and on to St. Vincent the next morning.

Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

Thanks for the information! I have spent some time on the usual suspects sight and it is definately a great resource. I like the 2 days on Bequia just from what i have seen. I wish we had more than a week but the people who run my grey cubicle wont alow it ;)

We are leaving from St. Vincent (using Sunsail) so i like your proposed itinerary! As we get closer will definately have some more questions. I like the idea of provisioning on Bequia as i had been debating having the provisioning taken care of on St. Vincent. From everything i have seen and the charts i have it looks like a pretty straight forward and quick sail down to Bequia on the first day so that would make sense.

Thanks again and we are counting down the days!!

Marcus

World
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

Yes...please don't come to Mustique. The anchorage is very uncomfortable, as it is not very protected and the wind and waves are at different angles resulting in lots and lots of roll even for heavy 100 plus footers.

World
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

and, as you can see, some of the folk who frequent the place aren't very welcoming!

That said, the anchorage is less rolly if you pick up one of the moorings closer to the shore. And there is really neat snorkelling on the reef that runs from the west of the jetty.

World
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

Curioux: Good to see you too lol. I would be happy to fill you on why I have the view I do about charter boats.

Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

Thanks for the input on Mustique.

I would be curious as well as i have found there are all types in the world whether they are on charter boats, in hotels, at stoplights or in your local supermarket.

My wife and I are a quiet lot who would much rather spend the days and hours lying on the beach, walking the islands and getting to know the local cuture.

That is one of the reasons why we have chosen St. Vincent and the Grenadines for our week long charter. I look forward to our visit very much and will do my part by way of example to repair whatever impression some folks have of bareboat charterers while i am there ;)

I do appreciate all advice regardless as you can never have enough information as far as i am concerned. Thanks again!

M

World
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

MQS, I am sure we share some of the same views...that said, folks like these who are doing their homework are less likely to be the party hearty, rubbish dumping, intrusive types we both object to.

BTW, Marcis- you won't find much local culture on Mustique. Except for the workers 'village' and the fishermen's camp, the whole island is carved into large private estates owmed by foreigners. Macaroni Beach, on the other side of the island, is beautiful and worth a visit if you do go there. This website has some pretty neat photos of Mustque and the other Grenadines. http://www.becouya.com/Mustique/mustique.htm

Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

Great pictures on that site! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the additional insight. Those pictures communicate more of what is wonderful about the islands than most i have seen put together. We are very eager to arrive and the days can't count down fast enough!!

m

World
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

C: I had never seen that site before, thanks. You and I have had similar discussions in the past. (though most have been about locals not tourists). I still owe you that pint.

Mraevt, I am sure you are a responsible and respectful sailor. However, Mustique is an unusual place. The island is OWNED by those of us lucky enough to own houses on the island (which I have for 15 years). The homeowners pay for everything on the island, including the roads, garbage, fresh water, electricity, the dock, the airport....For better or worse Mustique is the equivalent of a gated housing development in the United States...without the gate. So as a home owner, I have to confess I get tired of the constant stream of bareboat people who tramp around the island, peek in the houses, smoke cigarettes and leave butts on our beach. I cannot tell you the number of times I have gone to have a picnic at one of the picnic spots (which I reserved for the day) to find people off boats, who refuse to move on even when the private nature of the facilities is explained to them.

The only people who benefit from the traffic are the bar and store owners, at a high cost to the homeowners in my view. I pay for the disposal of your garbage and I get nothing in return. But perhaps I have simply been north too long and need to get back to relax. Luckily I am only 4 days away.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sailing in July - Itinerary Recommendations??

MRAEVT...wow..hope you don't feel alienated before you go to the Grenadines............sometimes no matter where we go it is the mentality of "I've got mine now stay away". Rest assured, you will find this very limited in the Grenadines. In fact, most people will welcome you and smile and actually make you feel glad you came. As for the others, oh well, maybe their loss they are so close minded! Given your feedback.... Bequia is a great choice, Mayreau and Union are Islands you should not miss! Let the few who feel so fortunate they can "afford" Mustique enjoy it. They may never know what they miss nor understand that others will always have more financially and mentally! Still there are some people on Mustique who you would enjoy meeting if you chose to spend enough time there! I prefer to enjoy their Company when they visit Bequia! Have a Great sail!

Get answers to your questions about Bequia