We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Union to Mayreau

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
988 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Union to Mayreau

I know this has been covered in the past but I haven't seen anything recent. On our way to a month in Bequia this year, we decided to spend a week (9 days actually) making our way up from Grenada via the various ferries with stops along the way at a number of islands. As part of this journey, we will need to get from Union to Mayreau on a Saturday or Sunday (when the Jaden Sun does not run). I gather that it is possible to get some kind of water taxi for this trip, but I have a few questions:

How long (time) is the trip?

What kind of boat is it likely to be?

How much will it cost?

How do I arrange it? (Is it better, for example, to arrange it through Dennis if we will be staying at his place on Mayreau?)

Any info much appreciated.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
879 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Union to Mayreau

Dennis will arrange for the water taxi. I think it's about $25 or $30 US per person (he will tell you). it's a 30 to 40 minute ride, depending on the tide, etc, you could get pretty wet.

Mayreau is a lovely island. Definitely dine at Robert Righteous' one evening.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Union to Mayreau

What a great trip you have planned! There are water taxis at the Anchorage Dock on Union which will take you over to Mayreau. We paid $50 going over (2 people) and $40 coming back...the first trip. As we were pulling away from Union a lady hailed our water taxi driver who pulled back to the dock and asked if we minded "giving her a lift home". We did not mind at all. Dennis' was supposed to have someone picking us up. When we arrived at the airport on Union they took us and our luggage over to the Anchorage dock on a golf cart...no water taxi showed up. The Gentleman at the Anchorage called Dennis' on the radio as we enjoyed a cold drink at the bar. "Sorry, forgot". No worries we soon were on our way. It was a fast and fun and WET ride.(not a bad idea to have a couple of lg trash bags stashed in the luggage, we didn't) Once on Mayreau a truck drove us up the steep hill to the Guest House. Never did know why the price diff coming and going. Having now been to Mayreau on 3 visits it is arguably the most unique island I hae visited. Great place to slow down and just enjoy the Carribbean. Stroll around the village. Visit the School where you will be welcome. Grab your camera and take in the views behind the tiny Catholic Church. Wander down to Saltwhistle Bay and enjoy some bbq on the beach, a cold beverage at the lovely Saltwhslte Bay club, maybe a leisurely snorkel, ask for a ride back up to the Village when you are ready. A water taxi can take you but you'll have to walk up the steep hill from the dock on the other side of the island! A visit to Mayreau is not complete without the Lobster Salad at Paradise, a few visits with Robert Righteous (beware the rum punch.) Learned the hard way to ask for one mixed NOT with strong rum ;0

Dennis' has very good food served poolside accompanied by breathtaking sunsets! If you fancy fishing or snorkeling or even a picnic at the Cays it can easily be arranged. While the fast ferry is nice, the MV Barracuda is a true Island experience. Love taking it from the Mayreau dock up to St Vincent. Never know what to expect on that boat as it delivers everything from goats/chickens, beer, building supplies and once we even had a gentelman handcuffed to a bench being transported to the jail on the Mainland! A good place to meet interesting fellow travelers and always have a camera ready!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Union to Mayreau

Agree with what has been said. Mayreau is great. Dennis can cook. Also a great time sitting at the bar and drinking and chatting up the sailors and travelers at the bar.

We hiked around the island on the goat paths. Fun but strenuous.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Union to Mayreau

Those paths are steep! One night walking up the dark hill from Saltwhistle we were sure we were being "followed", kept hearing a cracking sound somewhere off to the side behind us...then...a young goat came dashing out of the brush! Only living thing we saw until we reached Righteous and De Youths where we gave Robert a good laugh.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
988 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Union to Mayreau

Thanks all. I had forgotten about the MV Barracuda--too bad it doesn't stop in Bequia, we're not planning on going to St. Vincent this trip.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Union to Mayreau

That is the disadvantage of the Barracuda. You have to go to St Vincent and then catch the Ferry over to Bequia. We used the time to pick up some grocery items not readily avail on Bequia and to grab a cold drink at Cobblestone. Just don't like the closed in feel of the fast ferry but it is more convenient.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
488 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Union to Mayreau

We will be staying at Dennis Hideaway for 2 nights (coming from grenada) then ferry to Bequia for a few days....then when we depart Bequia we will be taking the Jaden Sun to Union Island but then will have to overnight one night so we can catch the early morning flight back from Union to Grenada on SVG Air.

So my question...for that one overnight should we water taxi BACK to Mayreau and stay at Dennis again then water taxi back to Union the very early the next morning? Or just stay on Union island which people have mixed feelings about?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Union to Mayreau

I like Union Island and have stayed there. It is a different vibe than Bequia, but is not unsafe, as far as I can tell. You are from New York, this is minor league stuff for you. A bad part of Jamaica is a really bad part of the world. A bad part of SVG is a better neighborhood in NYC.

I may be making light of issues on Union, but I never saw them or felt unsafe. I walked after dark with my wife and we did not feel unsafe.

The real problem Union has is that accommodation is uneven in quality and availability. I worked through Erika's and they were able to steer me in the correct directions. Bequia is a well developed tourist island with lots of accommodation and restaurants. Union is not and you have to work a bit harder and smarter.

And as always, call do not email. People answer phones. People sometimes do not bother with email.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Union to Mayreau

I would stay on Union. I think the "mixed feelings come from people who expect/compare Union to Bequia. Union imo is more "rough around the edges". Still, the beaches are lovely, Clifton Harbour a reasonably clean village setting with a handful of very good restaurants and sundowners at Happy Island give you a unique time at a one of a kind beach bar. Rooms on Union are a better quality over all than Dennis' in my experience. No need for the long water taxi ride over and back and early in the am you would be risking rough seas and be at the mercy of a water taxi driver showing up on time. We have been over on the water taxi more than once when the luggage was drenched (learned to tuck in a few large plastic lawn and leaf bags to protect it now). You might have time for a snorkel in the Cays the last day or a visit to Chatham Bay.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
988 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Union to Mayreau

Definitely stay on Union-not even worth considering going over to Mayreau & back for 1 night (unless you had never been there & had to see it). Union is a great little island, a few good restuarants and a number of good places to stay. Definitely check with Erika's Marine for accomodation. And don't miss a trip out to Happy Island for cocktails.

Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...