We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nisbet Plantation in Nevis or Galley Bay in Antigua

Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nisbet Plantation in Nevis or Galley Bay in Antigua

My husband and I are now deciding between a one week stay at Nisbet Plantation in Nevis or Galley Bay in Antigua. We are looking for a very beautiful beach with no rocks and calm waters. We would also like a long beach to walk on. In addition, we would like luxurious accommodations. And finally, we want something romantic. Can you help us decide and understand the differences? Thank you.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,156 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nisbet Plantation in Nevis or Galley Bay in Antigua

I've been to both places (we stayed at Nisbet numerous times) so maybe this will help.

First - Nisbet is a very nice resort with a very picturesque beach but it's on the northern (Atlantic) side of the island so the water can be a bit wavy at times. The waves and the currents tend to expose some rocks at the water's edge. You can, however, walk along the beach for over a mile or so (past Herbert's Beach and Camps Beach) although you should know that as you move northeastward the beach becomes more and more in it's natural state rather than the "raked" beach you'll find in front of the resort. To give you an idea of what the water s like Herbert's Beach is a popular area for surfing, windsurfing and kite boarding.

Galley Bay is also a nice resort and has a somewhat prettier beach. It is, however, much smaller (about 1/4 mile from end to end) so taking "long walks" is really not possible. The beach is prone to getting ocean swells at certain times of the year so there are occasions when the relatively calm waters get wavy. These waves do expose some rocks at the water's edge. Unfortunately one can't predict when there will be swells, however, they are more prevalent in winter rather than in summer.

I wouldn't describe either resort as having "luxury" like a Four seasons resort or a place like Sandy Lane but they are both somewhat upscale - think 4-star instead of 5-star pure luxury.

Both resorts will fill your wish for having a "romantic" feel.

Edited: 8:15 am, May 10, 2012
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nisbet Plantation in Nevis or Galley Bay in Antigua

Thank you very much for this information. It is very helpfu.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nisbet Plantation in Nevis or Galley Bay in Antigua

My wife and I spent 10 days at Galley Bay in Antigua and loved every minute. Next door is Hawksbill bay which has a resort and a great beach for walking. It is an easy walk to Hawksbill from Galley Bay. Take a lunch. The longest beach for walking there is at the far end of Hawksbill past the resort. It is an au naturel beach but little used. Food was quite good at Galley Bay. Lots of Brits go there.

4. Re: Nisbet Plantation in Nevis or Galley Bay in Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:42 pm, June 22, 2013