We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz Grand Cayman

Alexandria, Virginia
4 posts
Save Topic
Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz Grand Cayman

My husband and I are considering the Four Seasons Nevis for vacation this summer. I'm wondering if anyone who has stayed there since the re-opening might be able to share with me information about their beach? Is it swimmable or is the ocean rough there? Are you walking on rocks or smooth sand? Is there a lot of sea grass or coral reef or can you really swim off the beach there? We're debating between the Four Seasons Nevis and going back to Grand Cayman (this time trying the Ritz) because we love that stretch of beach/ocean on Seven Mile Beach. We are torn however because we'd very much like to try something new, but a swimmable ocean and nice beach is a must have for us. Thanks very much for any advice you all might have for us!!

Mentioned in this post
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz Grand Cayman

The beach at Four Seasons is definitely sandy and quite swimmable. There are no rocks, sea grass or coral reefs anywhere near the Four Season's beach. In fact, during the restoration project they dredged a lot of sand from surrounding areas to make it even more "sandier" than it was prior to Hurricane Omar.

It's on the Caribbean side of the island so the water is generally calm and there are several man-made breakwaters a 100 yards or so off shore that help make the waters even calmer. You are, however, dealing with Mother Nature and the water can be more wavy if the winds/currents begin coming out of the southwest or northwest (usually only if there happens to be a major storm way out in the Atlantic). You should have no difficulty swimming in the water.

One thing you should know - because Nevis is a volcanic island the sand on the beaches has a brownish tint rather than the sugar white sand you found on Grand Cayman. This darker sand and coupled with the relatively deeper waters surrounding the island give the sea a steel blue hue rather than the bright turquoise you saw on Grand Cayman.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 6:08 pm, July 07, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz Grand Cayman

We are on St. Kitts, and spent the day in Nevis two days ago. Went to the Four Seasons and their beach. We also went to Grand Cayman last summer. I would definitely vote Cayman after seeing Nevis.

Mentioned in this post
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
603 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz Grand Cayman

I've never been to Grand Cayman, but heard it's very Americanized, busy and touristy -- of course, you can base your opinion on your own experience, dependent on whether that appeals to you. I too love the crystal blue waters of the caribbean, and I have to say that photos of Grand Cayman have beckoned me in the past.

We took our first trip to Nevis in May. It is a paradise that hasn't been hit largely by the tourism industry -- cruise ships and the likes. It's a very pleasant, quaint, albeit quiet and relaxing destination, and a wonderful island to explore. You will feel welcome wherever you go on the island - the people are wonderful. Though the water isn't as clear as you will find in Grand Cayman, the beaches are still pleasant nonetheless.

I did visit Four Seasons, haven't stayed there, but I can say it is an extremely elegant resort with beautiful grounds. I'd stay there in a heartbeat.

If your number one priority is a beach destination with the azure blue waters, you might want to consider Grand Cayman.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Alexandria, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz Grand Cayman

Hi everyone, thanks very much for all the information. I really appreciate all your thoughts!!

S B
New York
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz Grand Cayman

I'm going to Nevis in the fall, but I have been to Grand Cayman. If you want to consider an island with white sand beach that is quieter than GC and has more of an island vibe, consider Anguilla. Keep in mind that tatses differ.-Kim_coco, GC is like Florida with nicer ocean. Now, I like Florida, but it's not what I want when I go to the Caribbean

Mentioned in this post
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Florida
Florida
United States
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Newcastle, Nevis
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz Grand Cayman

Agree with surfnsurf. The Caymans are just Miami Beach moved South. Great place to visit a Wendy's , McDonalds, and to drink Budweiser. Oh and watch All My Children too. Definitley not the Caribbean.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Florida
Level Contributor
153 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz Grand Cayman

There are plenty of wonderful local restaurants in Grand Cayman, "plenty", to name a few..... Macabuca behind The Cracked Conch, awesome for their lunch and a few drinks with a gorgeous view....Ristorante Pappagallo, great italian with plenty of seafood.... Wine Down, a short walk from the Ritz, excellent wine selection with so many tapas like appetizers (we went there twice, loved it!) ....The Lighthouse... awesome !!.....

The ocean/beach is gorgeous at the Ritz~Cayman, we have been to both the Ritz and the Westin next door...

We took a full day catamaran cruise to Nevis from St. Kitts and were driven in the back road to Sunshine's which is past the Four Season, beautiful grounds, tropical look golf coarse....might consider going back one day

If a swimmable ocean and nice beach is a must, i would have to vote for The Ritz~Cayman, but it's pretty much the end of the summer so I would love to know what you decided on and if you already made your trip :)

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Ristorante Pappagallo
Ristorante Pappagallo
1,076 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
603 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz Grand Cayman

I haven't visited this thread since last July, but I will comment since it was addressed to me.

I wasn't recommending Grand Cayman to the OP as a destination per se, I was simply stating that between the places the OP was specifically comparing, I'd go with GC because Nevis is not known as a beach destination, and the question was specific to beaches.

But I agree - I don't want a vacation where I'm going to find Wendy's, McDonalds or American beer. Well, maybe the beer but that's it. ha ha

On the flipside, we recently met a couple in our travels that also like to dive, and they said they really liked the Caymans, specifically for the waters and beaches. She raved about it.

In terms of beach destinations, I've heard nice things about Anguilla as mentioned above, as well as Providenciales (Turks & Caicos), if in fact we're veering away from the OP's original question about FS Nevis vs. Ritz GC.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Providenciales
Providenciales
Turks and Caicos
9. Re: Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz Grand Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, May 22, 2013