We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monkey Rock, Nevis

Which Nevis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Monkey Rock, Nevis

My friend and I are renting Monkey Rock, Nevis from the end of April into May. Has anyone been there? Any feedback? We know that the pool of the Golden Rock Plantation Inn is available to us, that it's a 5 minute walk from the cottage. We know that a taxi from the ferry dock is $20usd and that the taxi will bring us directly to the house (we stayed on bequia and were unaware of what we came to call "billy goat hill"...cars couldn't get anywhere near our fabulous villa there!) so we were a little concerned about how far we'd be hauling our gear. :)

If you've been there, please let me know what it's like. If you haven't been there but want information...give me 6 weeks and I'll let you know :).

94 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,960 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Monkey Rock, Nevis

Thanks for the TAN explanation.

If people are interested in renting villas in Nevis (and there are many), take a look at www.nevis1.com or google villa rentals Nevis before you plunk down money to join a vacation club. You may not be saving any money that way.

Littleton, Colorado
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Monkey Rock, Nevis

My husband and I will be staying at Monkey Rock at the end of March. Is it necessary to rent a car on the island? Is it easy to figure out where places are located like: Oualie beach and the fishing charters? It looks amazing there; cant' wait!

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,960 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Monkey Rock, Nevis

I don't know where Monkey Rock is located but I think you'll definitely want to rent a car. The island is small and easy to drive but you'll want the freedom to come and go as you wish, without relying on a taxi.

If you provide a link to Monkey Rock you may get better advice of what is close by.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Monkey Rock, Nevis

Monkey Rock is located on the eastern side of the island near Golden Rock Inn which is up on the side of Nevis Peak at the edge of the rain forest. That means you'll definitely need a rental car as there's nothing but other homes (and Golden Rock Inn) in the immediate vicinity. All the major points of interest around, restaurants and shops on the island are NOT with walking distance.

Finding points of interest on the island is fairly easy as there is really only one main road that circumvents the island - it's about 19 miles around the island. When you rent your car you'll be given a free local road map by the rental agency with most places clearly marked. If they don't have one available you can pick one up at the Tourist Office in Charlestown or there will probably be one in your rental villa (most rental villa owners have a "book" with brochures of restaurants, major points of interest and the ubiquitous road map for use by their guests).

Now, the side road that leads to Monkey Rock is on the east side of the island and Oualie Beach (where you get fishing charters) is on the exact opposite side (western side) of the island. So, from Monkey Rock you'll drive down the access road to the intersection of the main island road. You could turn either right or left on the main island road and you'll eventually come to Oualie Beach. I would guess Oualie Beach is about 10 miles if you turn right and maybe 9 miles if you turn left.

One last hint, if you venture off the main island road and become disoriented just remember that any paved road will eventually lead out to the main island road. Once on the main island road you can drive in either direction and get back to your starting point.

Enjoy your visit.

Edited: 9:00 pm, February 27, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Monkey Rock, Nevis

have you been to Monkey Rock as offered by www.planwithtan.com ?

Merion Station...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Monkey Rock, Nevis

please tell me your impressions of the Monkey Rock experience you had in 2011. would you go again? was it thru Plan with tan? they are so vague about it and don't seem to care if you have a good trip or not!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Monkey Rock, Nevis

Far as I know, the only way to rent this place is through Sundance. I am familiar with them and was once a customer, and stayed at Monkey Rock in 2011, loved it. I would very much like to return but will not be a customer of Sundance again, so if you'd like to work out a deal where you sell me your Excess Inventory vouchers for this place, I'd very much like to do that for 2-3 weeks in Winter of 2013 and beyond. Justice Breyer is there every year for 2 weeks around Valentine's Day I've heard, so either before or after that would be ideal. Thank you. Shawn 262-617-4254.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Monkey Rock, Nevis

if you'd like i would be happy to send vouchers for Monkey Rock. we'd have to work out the payment details however. workin2hard@earthlink.net

Stratford, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Monkey Rock, Nevis

I am looking at booking at Monkey Rock. I would like to rent a car to get around the island an i am wondering if the area at Monkey Rock is car accessible?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Monkey Rock, Nevis

Yes, Monkey Rock is accessible by car and YES, you'll definitely need a car if you stay there.

Reply to: Monkey Rock, Nevis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted