We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Nevis in May

Which Nevis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
589 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Nevis in May

We're getting closer to our departure date, and getting excited for our upcoming trip.

Wondering what activities would be recommended for first timers, what are the "must see" or "do" on Nevis?

We were planning to visit the botanical gardens, and possibly climb Mt. Nevis. We have plans to stop at Golden Rock Inn for their lobster sandwich.

Aside from visiting all the beaches, wondering if there are specific days activities take place at the local beach bars, say live bands or anything we wouldn't want to miss, albeit low key.

We don't want to live by an itinerary per se, but we don't want to miss out on anything Nevis has to offer for a one week stay.

Suggestions, comments, feedback?

Thanks!

Milford, Michigan
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: First time to Nevis in May

We'll be in Nevis for our first time too...May 14-22nd. I've been doing a lot of research, but am picking up some additional tips from these postings. Thanks for that...can't wait!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
589 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: First time to Nevis in May

We are here in Nevis.

We have a map, but not everything on the "trip around the island" is on this map, so I'm guessing there is another map we should acquire.

I don't see old jewish cemetary on the map, or black sand cove.

I'm assuming NEvis Tourist office is in Charlestown?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
589 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: First time to Nevis in May

We are here in Nevis.

We have a map, but not everything on the "trip around the island" is on this map, so I'm guessing there is another map we should acquire.

I don't see old jewish cemetary on the map, or black sand cove.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: First time to Nevis in May

There are two different maps available (a "free one" and "Journey" which you usually have to buy but not everything is marked on the maps. Often times something is just described as being "near" another point of interest.

To reach Black Sand Cove - at the "Pump Road" roundabout (the one south of town near Ram's Supermarket - it's the only roundabout on the main island road) take the road toward the Long Point deep water port. When you reach the port facilities at the end of the road take a left along an unpaved road. Follow the road about 1/2 mile or so till you come to a gate blocking the "old" section of the road. Park along the side of the road and walk through the pedestrian gate. You'll see a path and wooden stairs leading to down the bluff to Black Sand Cove.

The Jewish Cemetery is located on Government Road about a block off of Main Street in Charlestown (slightly diagonally across the street from the Caribbean Cable TV office complex.

Colorado
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: First time to Nevis in May

Hey Kim and Debi... I am in COLD Colorado just thinking of you guys. Have a great stay on the island. We were there in Jan and Feb staying with my sister in Charlestown, Miss the island and the GOOD people there. (yes CaribSufer "we are the steak people"). So anyways if you get a chance stop by the Carfe de Arts for a drink and a sandwich and say to HI to Chris or Toya or Liz from Nancy from Colorado, PLEASE...Enjoy my island and soon you will know the secret and it will be out and everyone will claim Nevis as their retirement home or as a second home, Heaven on earth!!!

Edited: 9:07 pm, May 15, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
589 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: First time to Nevis in May

We did find Black Sand Cove esterday - not as difficult or as far as one might think in terms of distances on the map. We actually walked right past it without realizing it. LOL. We did a little hiking, came back and noticed the path next to the wooden stick gate (it's disguised from floral and fauna when you are coming in from the other direction, but when coming back on the grass path it's quite obvious).

We continued past the path that leads to black sand cove, and meandered off on other dirt roads and made our way to various points of the ocean front, and found some pretty cool seashells and a perfect conch shell. Lots of wild donkeys along the way too, of course.

Glad we found it. Very pretty, but I'd suggest going at low tide, early day so you can explore more of the beach.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
589 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: First time to Nevis in May

In terms of the maps, we have two of them and we've used both. There is one at the local tourism office in Charlestown that we picked up for free - it's a little more detailed than the other - that same map we saw for sale for $5 at a local beach bar. We had another map that came with our lodging. Not everything is on both, and most roads are not marked here, but Nevisians are always willing to help with directions if needed.

More in my trip report upon return.

And I just found out I can't bring seashells back with me to the U.S.

28. Re: First time to Nevis in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 28, 2012