We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Nevis in May

Which Nevis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
589 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Nevis in May

We're getting closer to our departure date, and getting excited for our upcoming trip.

Wondering what activities would be recommended for first timers, what are the "must see" or "do" on Nevis?

We were planning to visit the botanical gardens, and possibly climb Mt. Nevis. We have plans to stop at Golden Rock Inn for their lobster sandwich.

Aside from visiting all the beaches, wondering if there are specific days activities take place at the local beach bars, say live bands or anything we wouldn't want to miss, albeit low key.

We don't want to live by an itinerary per se, but we don't want to miss out on anything Nevis has to offer for a one week stay.

Suggestions, comments, feedback?

Thanks!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Nevis in May

Contact Yevette Jackman at the Nevis Tourist Office - she'll put you on the distribution list for the "Weekly Activities" newsletter for Nevis:

yjackman@nevisisland.com

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
589 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Nevis in May

Thanks. I shot her an email.

Has anyone done the hot springs in Bath?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Nevis in May

The "hot springs baths" are not a major attraction. They are three pools of warm waters fed by a thermal spring. They are located in an area known as Bath Village at the southern edge of Charlestown at the bottom of a hill below the rear of the "old" Bath Hotel (one of the earliest "hotels" in the Caribbean - now a government office building).

The pools are used mostly by locals - some less affluent locals use them regularly for personal their hygiene. There are no "facilities" at the site except for a small run-down pump house. Most tourists stop for a few minutes and some will dip their hands or feet in the water to feel the temperature, occasionally you'll see a tourist actually bathe but it's a rare event.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Nevis in May

Nevis is heaven on earth. My best suggestion is to keep an open mind. It is a very freindly place so ask around. I found some interesting things to do just by evesdropping. Qualie Bay on Tuesday night has a jam session starting nine or ten. Double Duece for lunch or dinner. You can try fishing. Take a great hike to Phippa's Grave on Saddle Hill. A movie is in the works on the book Rivers in Time. Monteplier Hotel can give you the details.

Wednesday night dinner at Eddy's in Charlestown, the only night opened. Don't forget St Kitts. You can take your car on the sea bridge for the day.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Nevis in May

Skip hot springs. It's not what you think.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
589 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Nevis in May

Thank goodness we asked about the hot springs. LOL.

Thanks for the info on the jam sessions and the likes. We'll definitely be there.

I recall reading about meeting up with the local fishermen for fresh caught fish of the day, depending on availability. What pier should we be at, and what time of day? We'd like to cook some fresh fish during our stay.

Also, what is the typical attire for islanders? Is it acceptable to wear say a tank top /shorts over a bikini when we're hanging around town after lounging on the beach?

Any other recommendations for our trip, please do share.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Nevis in May

You can often find fisherman selling their catch at the dock by Gallows Bay (a few hundred yards south of the Ferry Dock in Charlestown) and by the "fishing shacks" just north of Mango restaurant (next the the 18th green at the Four Seasons Golf course. There's no "set" time or day as it depends when the fisherman come in with their catch but mornings are usually best. You can also check the Nevis Fishing Cooperative located next to the open-air market area in Charlestown (a block or so from the Ferry Dock).

Are you asking about typical "dress for islanders" or what is typical for tourists? The locals are fairly conservative and other than when they go swimming you'll never see them in a bathing suit. I'll assume you are actually asking what would be appropriate for tourists. In town women tourists typically wear sundresses or shorts or pants with either a blouse or t-shirt. Male tourists typically wear shorts and t-shirts. It's OK to put on a tank-top over your bikini when lounging on the beach but best to cover-up any bathing attire when you are not on the beach or resort property.

st. kitts
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Nevis in May

Went to the hot springs last week for the first time with clients. Was shocked how hot it was! There was a group of young school children enjoying it as well.

Quakertown, PA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Nevis in May

You must go to the Hermitage Plantation Inn in Gingerland Parish. Take time for lunch and/or dinner. Great pool, tennis, horses, walkabout.....and the best best best rum punches in the world. The Lupinacci's are from Pennsylvania and know how to welcome EVERYONE and share history and antiques that are phenom....Look for the "Three Wise Men" and "Elephant Rock". Marianne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Nevis in May

I went on a fishing trip in Feb. of this year. The sous chef at Coconut Grove Restaurant has a fishing boat. He goes out every morning fishing for the restaturant and others. He takes out private parties if interested. He charges $300.00 for 4 hours. The captain fishes between St Kitts and Nevis. He leaves from Qualie Beach dock around 7 a.m.

The boat is a large fishing vessel. I felt very safe. It did rain some of the time but that was o.k. because I was fishing between rainbows. Awesome experience. I caught a Spanish Mackeral (4 Lbs). We had it for dinner that night on our grill. Best fish ever. Coconut Grove will cook it too if you can't handle it. Talk to owners Karen and Gary. I was fortunate to be invited by owner Karen for a girls fishing group. Coconut Grove is my favorite beach restaurant.

Get answers to your questions about Nevis