We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Bridge Ferry

Verona, New Jersey
Level Contributor
130 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Bridge Ferry

I'm arriving with my family into St. Kitts Sunday afternoon and want to take the Sea Bridge car ferry. Does anyone know roughly how much a cab ride from the airport will cost to get to that ferry? The house we're staying at in Nevis is much closer to the Sea Bridge, and I hear that ferry ride is much shorter since it's only 2 1/2 miles to cross on it's route. I'm planning on getting the 5pm ferry.

Thanks.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
356 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Bridge Ferry

ktleyed,

I don't think it will cost you more than US$20-$25, but I could be mistaken.

You may also want to plan to get to the Sea Bridge (in Major's Bay) at least 30 - 45 min. prior to the ferry departure. Also, once you reach Nevis, taxi's are not readily available, so you have to pre-arrange transportation from Cades Bay (in Nevis) to your final destination.

Also, from what I can recall, the Sea Bridge is mainly a car ferry, not a passenger ferry - I am unsure whether or not there is adequate seating/space for passengers/luggage.

This is the link for the Sea Bridge.

http://www.seabridgeskn.com/index2.cfm

I understand that you are trying to cut your travel time a little bit and your final destination is closer to the Sea Bridge, however, I think you and your family would be more comfortable on the passenger ferry that runs between St. Kitts/Nevis, and you're really only going to save about 30 min., tops using the Sea Bridge.

Info/pictures on the passenger ferries from St. Kitts.

discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com/st-kitts-…

http://boatschedule.leytonms.com/ - more up-to-date ferry schedule.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels!

Verona, New Jersey
Level Contributor
130 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Bridge Ferry

Thanks, we're staying at my sister's house and my brother in law advised me to take this ferry and they'll pick us up when it gets in! I just wanted to know what I can expect price wise for the taxi. He told me there is a spot for luggage where we can put it - thanks again!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,123 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Bridge Ferry

I believe the going rate for a taxi from the airport to the SeaBridge ferry is now $30US.

KCJazz is right that it's mainly a car ferry but there is plenty of room for passengers, however there's not a lot of seating so you may end up standing for the 15 minutes or so it takes to cross the narrows. There's adequate space for luggage.

I disagree with KCJazz, there's no need to arrive at the ferry dock 30 to 45 minutes before departure is you are just walk-on passengers. There's no facilities at the dock so all you'll be doing is standing around in the hot sun because there's only one small shade tree in the area. Arriving 5 or 10 minutes before schedule departure is fine. It will only take you only a minute or two to board and you'll pay the fare once the ferry is underway. Arriving early is recommended if you have a vehicle as trucks are given preferential boarding because they generate higher revenue and cars are boarded on a "first come, first on" basis. According to the schedule the ferry departs every 2 hours "on the hour" starting at 9:00AM. In reality it gets behind schedule fairly often.

It's about a 15 to 20 minute drive from the airport to the ferry and another 15 to 20 minute ride across the narrows.

Hope this helps.

Verona, New Jersey
Level Contributor
130 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Bridge Ferry

Thanks, this is very helpful and answered all the questions I had. Since my flight gets in at 2:30 PM, the timing will work out fine, without a lot of rushing and worrying about making the ferry - thanks again!

MI
Level Contributor
137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Bridge Ferry

Does anyone know if the Seabridge closes down Easter Weekend? We would like to go over to Nevis for the day on Sat 3/22. But, I've heard a lot of places/buisneses close starting Good Friday-Monday.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
356 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Bridge Ferry

CaribSurfer,

You're right! I somehow got it mixed up that the OP was crossing "passenger only." My mistake! :)

Nevis
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Bridge Ferry

Normally taxi's charge 12 us from the airport to Turtle beach which is roughly the same place so I don't think it will be more than that per head.

The car ferry leaves Nevis on the even hours and St Kitts on the odds. Give or take 20 mins.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Bridge Ferry

Taxi fare from airport will be closer to $20.00 USD.

Check out the following link for current taxi fares on St. Kitts: www.sknvibes.com/Transportation/taxifares.cfm

United States
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Bridge Ferry

ktleyed,

We used the Sea Bridge to cross in late January from St. Kitts. The taxi fare we paid was US $30 plus tip. Ask the driver before you load your luggage how much it will be. We were told it was suppose to be higher (I believe he said $32) but be expected to pay somewhere between US $30-$35.

If you get to the ferry dock earlier than you expect make sure you have some sun block handy. We arrived at 3:45 for the 5:00 ferry (I didn't get word of their new schedule as it was too late to check my e-mail). They have a gazebo there now where you can sit but at that late time of day did not offer much sun coverage. I started out my vacation with a whopping sunburn after waiting there. The cost of the ferry was $15 EC (roughly $5.55 US if using the 2.6882 bank rate of exchange but am sure they probably round it up). We used EC so I am not sure what the exact US amount would be.

Hope you have a great time.

Nevis
Level Contributor
258 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Bridge Ferry

luvmxmi,

Easter weekend crossings on the car ferry are not looking good. We have had very heavy sea swells since Tuesday night and SeaBucket is marooned in St Kitts.

We are told the ferry is currently running on one engine and even when it operates on two it is hard for them to dock in Nevis if there is a heavy swell. The docking pier here in Nevis also suffered some damage last night.

They may be running by Saturday but sea forecasts for tomorrow are bad again so I doubt it.

On the plus side, the days have been gloriously sunny and temperatures not too high. The passenger ferry Carib Breeze is still operating if you can leave your car behind.