We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Kitts with kids

Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St. Kitts with kids

We are heading to St. Kitts for a week at the Marriott with our kiddos (under 7). Can we use our jogging stroller to get around the island? Has anyone used the babysitters at the Marriott?

Edited: 11:52 pm, February 26, 2010
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Kitts with kids

While you can use a jogging stroller in some places how effective it will be depends on a number of factors such as where on the island you want to go, how good your stamina is and how far your individual trips might be. The area immediately surrounding the Marriott is relatively flat so that would work quite well but keep in mind that once you get "off resort" there are no sidewalks so you be "jogging/strolling" in the street. Also, some of the side roads (such as the one leading to South frigate Bay) are unpaved so it won't always be smooth going.

While in the town of Basseterre you should be OK but it's 4 or 5 miles from the Marriott so I doubt you'd want to walk there. Same with getting to the beaches on the southern pennisula - they are far from the Marriott (for instance Cockelshell is about a 20 minute drive) and there are several very steep hills in between that you'd have to negotiate.

Families with young children do bring strollers to the island and find them of limited use but If you are really asking if there are a system of paved walkways, trails that you can use to get from point to point around the island then NO, the jogging stroller really won't be useful.

Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Kitts with kids

I appreciate your response. That helps me a lot to plan! Would it be better for us to rent a taxi for the day (we did this in STT to tour the island) or to rent a car (we rented a jeep for the day in Aruba)? If we rent a car, do they have car seats available? Do you know if the Marriott provides any shuttles (like for getting to the ferry)?

Again, truly appreciate your help!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Kitts with kids

Whether you take a taxis or rent a car is really a personal decision. If you are only going to venture off resort for one day hiring a taxi/driver is probably the easiest way to get around. You'll pay about $25US per hour and you can see a lot of the island in 3 to 4 hours. The driver/guide will tailor the tour to your particular interests and you'll move at your own pace. You won't have to worry about finding your way around. Taxi fares will begin to add up if you take several trips each day.

On the other hand, if you are adventerous and don't mind driving on unknown roads in a foreign land than renting a car is also a very viable means of seeing the island. rates run anywhere between $40US and $90Us per day depending on the size and make of vehicle. You also have to facor in the cost of a Temporary St. Kitts/Nevis Driver's License (about $30US). Many car rental companies do have car seats available for rent (FYI - most taxis will not have car seats so that may enter into your decision).

So bottom line, if you are going off resort for only one day taking a taxi is probably your best bet. If you are planning to venture off resort numerous times (daily or almost daily) during your stay then renting a car would be the most economical way to go.

Sorry, I don't know if the Marriott provides shuttles.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Kitts with kids

How old are your kids and what are your thoughts around having the stroller?

I just returned from Grenada with my 5year old and 3 month old - we needed the stroller for naps for my 3 month old...

When we were in St.Kitts we really used the stroller (my son was 2 the first trip and 3 the second time in SKB) to get around the area from TBR to Mariott as Caribsurfer points out...so we would walk down to PJs or Gingers with the stroller but when going further away we decided again stroller was for if our son got sleepy and we wanted the freedom of letting him fall asleep. Also we found it helpful to bring his stuff IN the stroller and that way once we got there it was all contained IN the stroller...so for example - DVD player to have a nice dinner for the adults and Diego for our son...later the DS, a change of clothes or a hoodie if it was a bit chilly or diapers....

They can be handy and to be honest I think the only year we did not use one was last year when we took our then 4 year old to an all inclusive in Jamaica -otherwise always a stroller!

We also rented a car and drove around SKB without ANY troubles - but we did bring our OWN car seat - but when we were without car and needed a cab for a short distance we did not have car seats...and God willing we were always ok. Even recently in Grenada with the 3 month old and we had to travel to and from airport without car seat - bumpy but we were fine!

Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Kitts with kids

Our boys are 2.5 & 6 (we have a double B.O.B. which luckily carries a TON of weight!). The 2.5 year old never naps in the stroller, but I totally hear you on containing all of their stuff (DS, DVD, diapers, extra clothes ect....). We are all inclusive at the Marriott, so I doubt we will eat off site much, but we do want to tour around & we like to jog with it, but we can go to the fitness club at the Marriott, so not totally necessary. We took it to Grand Cayman & found it too hard to get around with (the roads were narrow). What do you think on taking it?

Did you use a babysitter at the Marriott? Kids club?

Another question, is there deep sea fishing?

onmyway
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Kitts with kids

You might find this link helpful in regard to babysitting, I found it on another site a while back.

havebabywilltravel.com/Blog/…more-400

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Kitts with kids

As previously stated, off the Marriott is simple paved roads with no sidewalks and bermuda style grass growing. Pretty, but not a park. I honestly don't think you will use the stroller. There is a lot to do at the Marriott for kids, and we spent a lot of our time there because the kids enjoyed it. The fitness center was also very good.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Kitts with kids

With regard to the babysitter - if you do a search here you will find a link to a previous post - on another website (exclusively st.kitts) there is a teacher from the States who moved to teach in St.Kitts -I have been checking out that site for years and based on all the info there I would ask her to babysit for sure if she is still available...Off hand I cant remember all her details but try a search - sorry bouncing 4 month old on knee prevents my brain from fully engaging!

Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Kitts with kids

Thanks to everyone! We are here now, (no stroller which I think was a great decision) and we are totally in love with this place. The kids are having a blast & we are soooo glad we decided on St. Kitts for our vacation! Everyone at the Marriott has been sooo friendly (including helping me track down my suitcase that someone else took from the airport by mistake!). I appreciate all of the advice!

10. Re: St. Kitts with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 12, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Basseterre