We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report May 11-18th

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
410 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report May 11-18th

Before I begin, I want to let you know that I will rate activities and restaurants separately to try and keep the trip report short.

Our group of 7 arrived Saturday afternoon. We were promptly pick up at the airport, from Bullseye Car rental. We were picked up in the vehicle we were renting, so we didn't have to switch our luggage when we arrived at the car rental office. When we arrived at the office we quickly took care of the paperwork and payment, as well as getting driver's license for 2 of us. FYI, you pay for the driver's license in cash. $25.00 for each. We asked for directions to the closest grocery store. The Rams was right around the corner. They led the way in another vehicle. When we arrived at the store, they gave us quick directions on how to get to the road to head to the house.

We did a quick run through the store. We decided to pick up groceries to prepare breakfast at the house all week, as well as some drinks. After that we headed down to Turtle Beach. We rented the Turtle Beach house for the week.

I read about how bad the road on the peninsula is. Yes it is curvy and yes it does have potholes, but I don't think it's has bad as some people say it is. Of course it's all in your perspective. We lived in Germany for 3 years and traveled curvier roads than that. Also, I come from a state that is notorious for potholes, so most of the road was not as bad as home. However, there were a few spots where you had to be careful and not travel too fast.

We arrived at the house and were met by Liz, the property manager. She helped put away the groceries, gave us some instructions on the house and then we were good to go. After we settled in, we decided to go eat. Since it was about 6:00, we figured we would go to the Reggae Beach bar, only to find out they close at 6:00. No problem, we'll go to the Spice Mill. Wrong, they were closed for a special event that night. So, we headed back to town and ended up eating dinner at Ciao. After dinner, we went back to the house, relaxed for a few, then went to bed.

Sunday: The boys went fishing (arranged by Pereira Tours). My brother caught a large wahoo. They had the fish cleaned, so we could cook it for dinner during the week. FYI, if you're not going to cook the fish right away, you might want to freeze it. We ended up throwing 1/2 of it away because it was going bad. While the guys were fishing, the girls walked to Reggae Beach bar for lunch and drinks. You must try a Reggae Colada or two. Then back to the pool. The guys arrived back at the house at 3ish, hadn't eaten yet, so back to the Reggae beach bar. Lunch and drinks for the guys, appetizers and more drinks for the girls. Then back to the house for more swimming and relaxing. We could sit and enjoy the view of Nevis all day.

Monday: Ziplining scheduled for 9:00, with Sky Safari. We gave ourselves an hour to drive there. It took about 45 minutes. After ziplining we went to Romney Manor and Caribelle Batik. Then Brimstone Hill fortress. We decided to continue the circle tour of the island, hoping to hit a few other sites along the way, before arriving at Otley's Plantation for lunch. Well, either there aren't signs or very bad signs, but we did not see signs directing us to Clay Plantation or Black Rocks. So, we kept driving toward Otley's. We almost missed that also, until someone in the 3rd row seat saw the sign as we were passing it. After lunch at Otley's, we stopped at the store to pick up a few groceries to cook the fish. Then back to the house for fish dinner and relaxation.

Tuesday: Four of the seven of us were going flyboarding @ Reggae beach, so we hung out there late morning and early afternoon. More drinks and lunch at the Reggae beach bar. Then back to the house for some relaxing pool time. Then dinner at Sunset Beach Bar.

Wednesday: Two of us went diving with Pro Divers. The rest went shopping and had lunch at Pizza Boys. After the divers were picked up, a quick stop at the Sunshine Beach bar so they could eat lunch. Then back to the house. Four of us decided to go on a road adventure. We finally found Black Rocks, went to the top of Timothy Hill to take a picture of the south peninsula, then we stopped to watch the sunset. Back to the house for some more fish dinner. Note: the drive up Timothy hill is not for the timid, but was well worth it IMHO.

Thursday: The 2 divers went diving while the rest stayed at the house. Those that stayed went to Reggae beach bar for lunch (since they had no car) and the divers grabbed a ready made sandwich at Rams to eat for lunch. Back to the house for some pool time. Then we all got ready for dinner and headed to Shiggidy Shack for Thursday night entertainment.

Friday: Since we had a car and we were staying at Turtle Beach, we decided to take the car ferry to Nevis for the day. We thought it made more sense, then driving 30 minutes back into town, taking the 45 minute passenger ferry ride (vs 15 minute), then having to either get a different car on Nevis or hire a guide. BIG MISTAKE. I read about the car ferry running on it's own schedule and the day we arrived we heard that someone recently had arrived at the dock on Nevis at 5:45 for the 6:30 return trip to St. Kitts and the ferry had already left, so they were stuck there for the night. Having that knowledge, we arrive 1/2 hour early for the 9:00am ferry (which didn't arrive until about 9:30) and we were going to be sure to make the 4:30 return. Having read that the price was $28 for the car and driver and $8 for each passenger, we expected to pay $152.00 round trip. We were charged $204 dollars. My brother argued with him. All he would say is we had an oversized vehicle. It was a Dodge caravan. It's not that oversized. Since our vehicle was now blocked in by 12 other vehicles, we couldn't get out, so we were stuck paying. Had we been able to get off the ferry, we would have. After arriving back at the house we checked several places on the web to see if there was mention of being charged more for larger vehicles. We couldn't find anything. It's not right that this guy can just make up amounts as he goes. We were told by our car rental agent (on the ride to the airport) that we were overcharged. In hide sight, we would have been better off driving to town, taking the passenger ferry and hiring a driver when we got over to Nevis. We were so angry about the over charge and worried about not getting back on time, we didn't enjoy as much of Nevis that we probably would have if we had done things differently. We did visit the Botanical garden, Montpelier plantation and had lunch and Killer bees at Sunshine's (the best part of the day). We then did a quick drive around the island and made it back in time to drive right on the 2:30 ferry (which was probably really the 12:30 ferry, since he started the day late).

Back to the house for some pool time. My niece and I decided to walk the road to the top of the hill at Turtle Beach. Let's just say, that was a good workout. The view from the top was worth the walk. When we got back to the house, we all got ready to head to the Spice Mill for dinner. It was Friday night and she asked if we had reservations. We did not, but we were able to be seated. It was a great ending meal for a great week.

Saturday: We packed our bags, straightened up the house and left for Basseterre to do some shopping and have lunch at Ballahoo. After lunch, we drove to Bullseye Car rental, someone hopped in the car and drove us to the airport.

We had a wonderful time. A big thank you to the TA folks that helped us (and others) making our vacation plans.

Royal Gems
Gift & Specialty Shops
noble jewelers
Gift & Specialty Shops
Kay's Fine Jewelry
Gift & Specialty Shops
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
410 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report May 11-18th

One thing I forgot to mention, meals in the restaurants were a little on the pricey side. But the meals were worth it. I don't think anyone had a bad meal all week.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report May 11-18th

Thanks for a great report! We are going at the end of June and have been discussing the ferry to Nevis choices. I am looking forward to reading your restaurant reviews.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
410 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report May 11-18th

I hope to get the reviews done soon. As far as the ferry, I REALLY recommend the passenger ferry and hire a driver on Nevis. I was given a couple of names and phone #'s of driver's that I can pass on to you. I wish we had gone that route. It would have made for a better visit to Nevis.

4. Re: Trip Report May 11-18th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 24, 2013
5. Re: Trip Report May 11-18th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts