We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Kitts and Nevis

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
St. Kitts and Nevis

Our cruise ship is arriving in St. Kitts at 8 a.m. and departs at 5. What is the best use of our time to visit these two islands. We don't want to take an excursion offered by the ship if we don't have to. Looking to get in some beach time too.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Kitts and Nevis

Honestly, you really can't visit both islands and do them justice, especially if you also want to include some beach time.

With waiting time at the terminals you'll spend close to 2 hours just getting back and forth between St. Kitts and Nevis on the passenger ferry and once there the ferry schedule is such that you'd have only about 2 to 2.5 on Nevis before you'd have to go back. The earliest ferry you could reasonably expect to get leaves Basseterre at 9:30AM and won't get to Charlestown until about 10:30AM. You'd have to get the 1:00PM ferry back to Basseterre as the next doesn't leave until 4PM and won't get you back until 5:00PM (you'll probably have to be back on board your ship no later than 4:30PM).

You could take a private water taxi to Nevis as that would give you more time there but if the reason you don't want to take the ship's excursions is because they are "too expensive" than you'll find the private water taxi falls into that category.

You'd be better off hiring a taxi driver/guide to give you a private tour 3 to 4 hour tour of St. Kitts and then have the driver drop you off at either Frigate Bay or South Friars Beach where you can have lunch and drinks at one of the many beach bars after which you can get your swimming/beach time. Tell the driver what time you want to be picked up and he'll come back and take you to your ship.

The tour will take you to all the major points of interest on the island including the Batik Factory and Gardens at Romney Manor, the Fortress at Brimstone Hill, the Petroglyphs, the Black Rocks Lava Flow, etc. There will be plenty of taxis available just outside the Port Zante Shopping area where your ship will dock.

If that doesn't appeal to you there will be numerous tour operators in Port Zante offering many different "group tours" at a per person price - choose the itinerary that most appeals to you.

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Kitts and Nevis

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the information.

3. Re: St. Kitts and Nevis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, September 28, 2016
Boca Raton FL
Level Contributor
556 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Kitts and Nevis

How much is the private boat you recommend for back and forth to Nevis. When you get off the water taxi...are there people to taxi you around and take you to a nice quiet beach with chairs/lounges? Also the entrances into the water i.e. water's edge is it rocky or what.Someone in our group uses coumadin a blood thinner and cannot be cut while swimming.

Thanks.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Kitts and Nevis

A private water taxi will cost you about $85US to $100US each way for up to 4 persons depending on size of boat plus you'll spend $30US each way for the taxi to/from the cruise ship dock. If you have 5 or more in your party you'll pay about $25US per person each way for the water taxi and $7US per person each way. When you get to Nevis THERE WILL NOT be any taxis waiting where the water taxi drops you off but you can ask the boat captain to arrange one for you.

The water taxi will drop you at Oualie Beach where you'll find calm waters, no rocks and you can use the facilities at Oualie Beach resort. If you want to go to a different beach you'll need a taxi to take you to Pinney's beach where you'll be able to rent lounge chairs and umbrellas. Both Oualie and Pinney's are sandy with few if any rocks.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Kitts and Nevis

Oops, I wasn't clear on the cost for the taxi from the cruise ship dock to the water taxi - if you have 5 or more in your party it's $7 per person each way for the land taxi.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Kitts and Nevis

Hi Carib Surfer, If we took the ferry from Basseterre to Nevis at 9:30am, where could we grab a water taxi in Nevis at about 2:30pm to get back? Where does the water taxi drop us off in Basseterre?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Kitts and Nevis

The water taxi does not drop you off in Basseterre. The water taxi leaves Nevis from Oualie Beach (about 5 miles north of Charlestown) and It takes you to Reggae Beach Bar on Cockleshell Beach (the tip of St. Kitts' southern peninsula). It's about a 30 minute taxi ride from Reggae to the cruise ship dock.

georgia
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Kitts and Nevis

Hi

We are coming to St. Kitts on a cruise April 15, 2013. Want to book a catarman sail to Nevis. I have tried to contact Blue Water Safaris, and when I tried to book online the date we will be there is X out. I have emailed them but no answer. Is there any other catarman's from St. Kitts to Nevis. I tried Leeward Island Charters, but they won't book since we are on a cruise. Want us to book thru the ship. We would rather book direct. I know I have been before and we booked thru a Liz P can remember her last name to google. Any help in charters. Thanks,

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Kitts and Nevis

Try Liz Pereira Tours - http://lizpereirastourstore.shutterfly.com

Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts