We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals vs Taxi's

Wood Dale, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rentals vs Taxi's

We are going to St. Kitts the end of October and I'm wondering if it is better to rent a car for the week or just use taxi's. This is our first time to St. Kitts and we are staying in a timeshare at the Marriott. I know the car would give us more independence, but noticed that a driver's permit is required and driving is on the opposite side from the US. So, my question is, would it be more cost effective to rent a car, and if so what rental companies would you recommend, or use taxi's.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals vs Taxi's

The answer depends on how often you plan on leaving the resort. Taxi fares will mount up quickly. For example a single round trip to Cockleshell beach from the Marriott will cost you more than the daily rate for a basic rental car. Likewise two round trips to nearby Basseterre will exceed the cost of a rental car.

Personally I always recommend renting a car as it gives you the option to come and go as you please. Driving on the left is pretty easy and it should only take you a few minutes to "adjust". Just take your time driving and you should be just fine. The cost of the temporary drivers license is small, about $24 (about what you would pay for a R/T in a cab to a nearby restaurant so don't let that deter you.

I know of no one who regrets renting a car but you'll often hear tourist complain that they spent a lot on taxis.

It is your call but I suggest you rent the car.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals vs Taxi's

The answer depends on how often you plan on leaving the resort. Taxi fares will mount up quickly. For example a single round trip to Cockleshell beach from the Marriott will cost you more than the daily rate for a basic rental car. Likewise two round trips to nearby Basseterre will exceed the cost of a rental car.

Personally I always recommend renting a car as it gives you the option to come and go as you please. Driving on the left is pretty easy and it should only take you a few minutes to "adjust". Just take your time driving and you should be just fine. The cost of the temporary drivers license is small, about $24 (about what you would pay for a R/T in a cab to a nearby restaurant so don't let that deter you.

I know of no one who regrets renting a car but you'll often hear tourist complain that they spent a lot on taxis.

It is your call but I suggest you rent the car.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals vs Taxi's

Don't know why Igot a double post.

Anyway, you can find a list of car rental companies here:

stkittstourism.kn/explore-st-kitts-getting-a…

All are very reliable and will have competive prices.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rentals vs Taxi's

Having a car is definitely more convenient. If you are staying on Turtle Beach it is a must!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rentals vs Taxi's

Since you are staying at the Marriott, taxis are plentiful and always available in an instant. Renting a car will provide you with flexibility and freedom. I think if you don't feel that you want to venture far from your hotel, taxis might be the way to go. However, if you want to explore the beaches of the southeast Peninsula regularly and be spontaneous about when to visit town or tour around the island, as well as visit various restaurants and beach bars around Frigate Bay and the Strip, then a car is a must. I like to recommend taking an island tour the first day or two with taxi, to get the "lay of the land" then renting a car for the last few days.

Belleair Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rentals vs Taxi's

I agree with one of the former replies; take a tour first so you get the lie of the land the first or second day then rent a car so you have the freedom to come and go as you please. I had a terrible experience with Hertz at the Marriott and had to make a formal complaint to their headquarters in the U.S.. I don't know if the same franchisees exist or not but be extremely cautious of marking down any damage on the car before you leave no matter how slight it may be. They tried to charge us for existing damage...even though the area was obviously rusted and was pre-existing. I was not the first one this has happened to. I hope you love the island as much as we do.

7. Re: Car Rentals vs Taxi's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 14, 2013