We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Kitts beaches

NY
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
St Kitts beaches

hello, I am planning a caribbean vacation and St. Kitts sounds great, my only concern is the beach...I plan on staying at the Marriott which is located on the Atlantic side of the island.

Just wondering what the water is like, or how easily you can get to a caribbean side beach from this hotel.

I have been to the caribbean before and have found the caribbean sea to be my favorite part of the trip, is staying on the atlantic a bad idea?? I just love clear, warm water and some waves maybe but not too rough! ok any advice would be most appreciated.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Kitts beaches

The only hotel on the Caribbean side is the Timothy Beach Resort. The frigate Bay, where we stayed after leaving the Marriott due to poor service, is within walking distance and a great place to stay. St. Kitts is very different from most other Caribbean islands in that the tourism is not as "user friendly".

Getting to the Caribbean beaches from the Marriott is not difficult however. A few dollar's in a cab and you are there. Frigate Bay is great and very close...you could actually take a walk an made it there no problems. There are some other beaches that are great but very secluded and require a car or cab. Friar's is great!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Frigate Bay
Frigate Bay
St. Kitts
Basseterre, St...
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Kitts beaches

You should also visit Cockleshell and Banana Bay and Turtle Beach. www.turtlebeach1.com Amazing view of Nevis!

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Beach
Turtle Beach
St. Kitts
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Kitts beaches

the beach in front of the marriott is very nice. yes the atlantic is rough but marriott built an artificial reef so the water is calm in front of the resort. you can walk or take a taxi to the caribbean side which is almost always calm (the other day the caribbean was rough & the atlantic was like a sheet of glass-rare though) both sides are clear. there are water sports to rent on the caribbean side

Caribbean
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St Kitts beaches

Rent a car & drive east to

1. Cockleshell Beach (near the rusted steel frames, was supposed to be a hotel at one time)

2. Banana Bay (right side of Cockleshell Beach, you can walk to it)

3. Another very nice beach is Majors Bay (where the oil bardge washed ashore during Hugo)

4. Turtle Beach for Food & Drink.

Recommend NOT going alone to Majors Bay. it's a rather secluded beach, but the swimming is fantistic. Climb on the bardge & dive into the waters. Snorkel along the rocks & see all types of marine life. Bring very little money with you. If eating at Turtle Beach use your charge card.

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Beach
Turtle Beach
St. Kitts
Long Island
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Kitts beaches

"Recommend NOT going alone to Majors Bay"

Why is that?

Caribbean
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St Kitts beaches

As a male OK Couples....it's a desolate area of the island. Robbery's & Rape do happen. Best not to set yourself up for that. I wouldn't fear but I'd travel with another couple. Safety in numbers. The beach is quite beautiful & mostly a secret to most travelers.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Kitts beaches

That's what I was trying to clarify, whether it would be safe for a couple. Thanks for the info.

USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Kitts beaches

We just got back from a stay at Timothy Beach and LOVED that resort. We had a car, but walked back and forth to the Marriott beach all the time (5-7 minutes). Friends we met at the Marriott did say that a breakwater constructed in front of the Marriott does mitigate some of that rough water.

Would recommend renting a car though, to get to those other beaches. We found the roads and traffic very easy. We loved Cockleshell, Sandy CoveNorth Friars and South Friars. All have something different to offer. When we were there, both sides were stirred up and we found the water cold - but then we grew up in Florida. Enjoy your trip!!!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
9. Re: St Kitts beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:44 pm, May 04, 2005
Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts