We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do the locals eat? Spratnet? Sailing? WindSurfing?

Philly
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where do the locals eat? Spratnet? Sailing? WindSurfing?

Can anyone tell me if Sprat net will be open by September 10th? I heard they were closed the last 2 weeks in August. Will most of the restuarants be closed for low season in September?

Also, Can you please reccomend a tour operator or school? I am looking to sail and go windsurfing

Are there good restuarants that sevre local food where actual locals eat? I am not looking for New York style cusines, fusion, or italian ( i.e. thing I can easily get in the U.S.)

Thanks in advance for all your reccomendations!!

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do the locals eat? Spratnet? Sailing? WindSurfing?

There is an excellent windsurfing facility (lessons, boards, etc.) at the Oualie Beach Hotel, on Nevis. Oualie Bay & beach are ideal venues....a sandy, gently sloped bottom, calm waters inshore and "hell's-a-jumping" out in the channel. And the hotel ain't bad either. Cheers, Richard.

Basseterre, St...
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do the locals eat? Spratnet? Sailing? WindSurfing?

I believe Sprat Net is open in September. Some restaurants close in August.

Good restaurants that serve local food are Sprat Net, Shiggidy Shack, Monkey Bar, Turtle Beach Bar & Grill and Fisherman's Wharf.

A website you might enjoy is www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com

Basseterre, St...
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do the locals eat? Spratnet? Sailing? WindSurfing?

Sprat Net Update:

As of September 8th, Sprat Net is currently closed. Visit www.islandimage.com for updates.

Swedesboro, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do the locals eat? Spratnet? Sailing? WindSurfing?

The best places to get local food "where the locals eat" are the beach bars and grills...excellent stuff. I usually eat most every lunch on island at one of the beach bars and get a great sampling of Caribbean cooking. Most of the time a generous plate of food is $5-10 and the drinks are cheap and plentiful.

Turtle Beach Bar & Grill has good food, yes, but at the prices they charge I've rarely seen any locals eating there (except those with a lot of money.) You can easily spend $50 on lunch there with a couple drinks.

Sprat Net is definitely a local favorite. Fisherman's Wharf USED to be THE place to go, but it's turned completely touristy and expensive.