We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break - Mom and 18 year old daughter

Iowa
Level Contributor
185 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Break - Mom and 18 year old daughter

I am looking to take my daughter on Spring Break in March. I'd like to try something new. We've been to Aruba, Jamaica, Bahamas, St. John, Barbados, Grenada, Bequia, Virgin Gorda and several places in Mexico. We are not into AI and go to get sun and R and R. I've been searching airfare and most places seem pretty high. The island of St Kitts and and Turks and Caicos seem the most reasonable. We want a nice moderately priced place to stay and don't want to have to rent car. It's important that we don't spend a ton of money on food. Thoughts or suggestions?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,053 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break - Mom and 18 year old daughter

In order for the "experts' on this or any other travel forum to be of any meaningful help you have to define what "moderately priced", "reasonable" and "not a ton of money" means to you. Those are very nebulous terms that mean different things to different people. You have to give us an actual dollar range for your budget.

I'm surprised you choose the Turks & Caicos as one of your destinations. They are one of the more expensive destinations in the Caribbean so you may want to look elsewhere if you are really on a tight budget. Keep in mind that the March is still High Season in the Caribbean (and the traditional "Spring Break" weeks are usually not available at reduced rates) so you are probably going to find room rates on the high end of the spectrum.

I see from your profile you are from Iowa - if that's where for are flying from you are probably going to find airfares (during Spring Break) will give you "sticker shock". So, begin checking airfares for you planned dates of travel on websites like Kayak to get an idea of the price range for tickets and budget accordingly. Hint: Sign up for "Airfare Alerts" on Kayak and your airline of choice's website - you might get lucky and come across an airfare sale.

Now, on St. Kitts you might want to look at Timothy Beach Resort - it's located in the Frigate Bay area where you can walk to numerous nearby restaurants. Whether or not rates at the resort will meet your definition of "moderately priced" will depend on your actual budget. Food prices on the island vary a great deal depending on what you eat and where you dine - like anywhere else you can have a simple sandwich or a high priced gourmet meal. You've been to many other islands so use those as a guide - food prices on St. Kitts won't be all that different.

Iowa
Level Contributor
185 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break - Mom and 18 year old daughter

Flights are even high to Mexico. We usually fly from Minnrapolis. The reason we looked at St. Kitts and T&C was because I've been checking for a couple month and these two destinations are the ones that seem to have cheapest flights at less than $800 and we haven't been there so seemed doable. I noticed TBC also and seems reasonable and within our budget. As far as the island itself I don't know much and how it compares to others we hav been to. Grenada and Bequia are my favorite so far and always looking to try new places but don't want to be disappointed. I'm used to island prices, but have learned you can find affordable meals or find prices as high as you can imagine. We are thrifty but like to have a few nice dinners out. Wondering where my daughter would have most fun with her mom!? It's her senior year and a special last trip before she goes to college. Thanks for your feedback.

3. Re: Spring Break - Mom and 18 year old daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 25, 2013
Get answers to your questions about St. Kitts and Nevis