We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayman Brac Holiiday

Harker Heights...
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cayman Brac Holiiday

Hello, all.

Have spent years on GC but havent done the Sisters. Ok, That sounded weird. Sorry, Any tips?(Still weird) Where to stay? Dine? We are pretty much down with anything as long is there is a beach and access to diving.

All help would be appreciated.

Nestakai

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayman Brac Holiiday

If you're looking for a beach along with diving then you might consider Little Cayman rather than Cayman Brac.

Mentioned in this post
Little Cayman
Little Cayman
Cayman Islands
Cayman Brac Beach Resort
Cayman Brac Beach Resort
774 Reviews
Cayman Brac
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayman Brac Holiiday

Cayman Brac is small and rural and undeveloped and beautiful. The Cayman Brac Reef Beach Resort (formerly Brac Reef Beach Resort) is our favorite place to stay on CB. It is a small, diver-dedicated resort with 40 rooms. The rooms are clean and nice and well-maintained but not luxurious and they have good AC and a small frig. The resort is all-inclusive and the food is served buffet style but it is very, very good.

The resort was recently remodeled and now has a beautiful, large free-form infinity pool and a new multi-level beach bar.

The excellent onsite dive operation is Reef Divers and they provide valet services at no additional charge so you won't have to schlep heavy equipment. The walls and reefs are really gorgeous and you can do an easy wreck dive on a sunken Russian Frigate. I am told that there is good shore diving and snorkeling on Brac but I haven't tried it.

There is a lovely beach with hammocks and lounge chairs at the CBBR resort but it is not a good swimming beach, lots of sea grass. There is a beautiful public beach called "Tranquil Sandy Beach" on the island.

If you would rather not stay at an all-inclusive with an onsite dive op, then there are some very pretty rental properties on the island. Brac Scuba Shack is the only other dive op on the island and they also have an excellent reputation.

If you like nature then there's a lot to do on Brac - hiking, biking, climbing, bird-watching, visiting caves, and enjoying watersports. There is a wetland preserve and a booby preserve on CB and a small local museum. We usually rent a car for one day to explore the island.

We are returning to CBBR for the 5th time in the fall, we love the island and the diving.

Little Cayman is even smaller than CB but it is very beautiful and the diving is even better, in my opinion. The best Cayman diving ranks as LC first, followed by CB, and then GC; but you can have a wonderful dive vacation on any of the Cayman islands. However, the legendary Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight reef system of Little Cayman are really special and rank among the top Caribbean dive destinations.

On Little we like to stay at Little Cayman Beach Resort which is a sister property to CBBR, owned by the same family, and both resorts are all-inclusive and very similar and have Reef Divers as the onsite valet dive op. The food at LCBR is very good but I think it is even better at CBBR IMO.

LCBR is a very pretty property with a pool and a beach but again it is not a good swimming beach. Point of Sand is the most popular swimming beach on LC and you can also kayak out to Owen Island to swim and snorkel. Again, I am told that there is good snorkeling and shore diving on LC but I haven't tried it. Tsetuds's excellent Cayman snorkeling guide includes information about LC snorkeling options.

Because of the popularity of the Bloody Bay Wall diving there are more resorts and hotels on LC than CB and it is a bit more expensive, but there isn't a lot of development. The rental properties and resorts book up quickly and sometimes, when you are able to find a place to stay and dive, you may have trouble finding flights to and from the island. It is helpful if you can be flexible with your dates.

If you get winded out and cannot dive BBW and Jackson's Bight it will be very disappointing. There is diving available on the other side of LC but not as good. I am told that you will have better bad weather diving options on CB than LC but I haven't confirmed that. I have also been told that May is the month that is most likely to be winded out on LC - but again I haven't confirmed that. Some folks say May is their favorite month to visit LC.

The 2 sister islands are only 5 miles apart at the nearest point, and if enough divers are interested, Reef Divers at CBBR will take a boat over to LC to dive BBW for an extra charge of $25 or 35 US - I can't remember. The Reef Divers crew at LCBR will do the same and take a boat over to CB to dive the Russian Frigate wreck. Both dive ops offer night dives a couple of nights each week for an extra charge.

Again, there is not much to do except to relax, dive, and enjoy nature on LC. You can go hiking and biking, and they also have a booby preserve. You can visit the tiny museum and/or take a tour of the marine biology station. There is no climbing on Little unlike Brac that has a big, rocky bluff at one end of the island. We usually rent a car for one day to explore LC.

We visited LC for the second time last year and it was wonderful and we will be back!

Unlike Grand Cayman you won't find abundant grocery stores on Brac or Little. They do have some nice little stores and there is always plenty of frozen and canned foods and dry goods available but the amount of fresh meat, fish, produce and dairy varies with the arrival of the weekly barge.

There are also a few small restaurants that are casual but very nice, like the Captain's Table on Brac and the Hungry Iquana on Little.

On Grand Cayman we like to stay in an apartment or condo with a full kitchen and cook some of our own meals because of the abundance of grocery stores and excellent restaurants, but on the sister islands we prefer an all-inclusive because of the more limited choices; but there are options to meet everyone's preferences on all 3 islands.

We think that the Caymans are a great place to do a 2-island vacation, we like to spend a week enjoying the amenities and sites of GC and then a week on either of the small, rural islands of CB or LC. It's the best of both worlds, especially if you like diving!

Below are some links that you may find of interest, have fun!

Little Cayman, non-diving activities:

https:/…

Cayman Brac video:

https://vimeo.com/165357805

Cayman Brac activities:

caribjournal.com/2015/…

islands.com/free-tour-you-cant-miss-cayman-b…

https:/…76031148

A comparison of the 3 Cayman Islands:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147364-i260-k8593…

Mentioned in this post
Cayman Brac Beach Resort
Cayman Brac Beach Resort
774 Reviews
Cayman Brac
Brac Scuba Shack
Brac Scuba Shack
248 Reviews
Cayman Brac
Little Cayman
Little Cayman
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Bloody Bay
Bloody Bay
906 Reviews
Jamaica
Bight Reef
Bight Reef
1,307 Reviews
Providenciales
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Little Cayman Beach Resort
Little Cayman Beach...
643 Reviews
Little Cayman
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,200 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayman Brac Holiiday

There was one dive resort on the Brac when we were there---our son went diving with them and one of the trips was to Little Cayman which is a short distance away. I had read that there had been some renovations to the complex

caymanbracbeachresort.com/cayman-islands-res…

Not being divers, we stayed at a condo and ate at Captains Table which was adjacent to the condos. We also ate at the cayman brac beach resort once or twice.

Mentioned in this post
Little Cayman
Little Cayman
Cayman Islands
4. Re: Cayman Brac Holiiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, September 27, 2017