We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh produce

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh produce

We will be staying on the Brac for 2 weeks in late Jan early Feb. we would like to be able to stock up on fresh fruits and veggies as much as possible. Is there a local market or stands or a boat that brings in produce?

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh produce

A barge does come in unless the water is rough and then it might be delayed. My advice is to pick up whatever you see that might look good when you are at the store because it might not be there the next time you go

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh produce

Here is a recent TA discussion about fresh produce and the barge schedule:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147370-i2049-k673…

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh produce

Hello, thank you for the map and info. I love the map! I was wondering if you can purchase from the barge or do they supply directly to the stores?

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh produce

I don,t know but my guess would be that they supply to the stores

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh produce

We will also be staying in Grand cayman for 4 days. We have a condo at rum point. Do you know of a dive operator that ou would recommend?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh produce

Do you want to drive to the op and/or are you sharing the car with non divers. On the EE you have both Ocean Frontiers and Tortuga Divers. Red Sail can pick up guests at the dock at Rum Point (which is nice if you don't want the car tied up for the day). Also there are many wonderful six pack ops who will also pick you up. If you are enough people in the group and want to do that it too can be a wonderful option. There are also tons of great ops on the West Side of the island, but you will need to drive to them also. Although many ops advertise pick ups, it is usually only from the SMB area (or the immediate area). Across the board it really is a very well run industry and it is hard to go with a group that is not top notch. If you can be more specific about what you want specifically I'm sure some other names can be suggested. Happy diving!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh produce

We are 3 divers and only want to dive the 1 day. Mon the 10th. 2 Tanks. We have a car and we are mobile. If you could only do 2 dives, which ones? I have a couple in mind. Definitely staying away from the tourist trap sting ray city stuff. Thank for taking the time to reply

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh produce

I would go to the East End and dive with either Tortuga Divers or Ocean Frontiers. Both are excellent ops. Tortuga Divers has a new manager for around a year now and he has done an awesome job making some changes to what was already a top op. That said OF is great as well, so see who has room on their boat. Both go to the same sites on the EE. I have lots of favorites spots and we usually just say Captain's choice . . . they know where the action is but will also try to avoid sites where other guests on the boats may have been the previous day. There has been regular sightings of men in gray suits on the EE for almost a year now so you might get lucky! You might even run across Stinky who has been playing with (moving) EE mooring balls. I would check weather conditions as soon as you get there (the ops will know what's happening). Otherwise I would probably go with Red Sail on the North Boat (which if it is not full can pick you up at Rum Point). Twenty plus eagle rays (all in one picture!!) on one dive North with them a couple of years ago was pretty awesome! I do love Stingray City, but usually go on a Sunday afternoon when it is really pretty mellow so if you had the chance to do it like that, I wouldn't back away from it. Happy Diving!

Edited: 4:40 pm, December 26, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fresh produce

Oh my you really have us pumped now. Maybe we should do sting ray city on Sunday afternoon along with our non divers. And still dive Monday. I will contact the operators you suggested and see who can accommodate us. I have read about the site in the north with the eagle rays! It would be nice if the conditions line up for us. As or the men in grey suits......... That would be crazy, and a story or the log book. Thanks again for the tips

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fresh produce

"Maybe we should do sting ray city on Sunday afternoon along with our non divers."

I am not a diver, and am only an "average" (skill-wise) but avid snorkeler. I loved, loved, loved my visit to Sting Ray City (I was only one of 3 snorkelers - the rest were divers) and much preferred it to my visit to the Sting Ray Sandbar.