We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

How bad are the noseeums (Sand fleas) in Cayman Brac in May

Which Cayman Brac hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
How bad are the noseeums (Sand fleas) in Cayman Brac in May

We are looking to visit Cayman Brac in early May but have read they have a noseemum problem. We've had a really bad experience in the US Virgin Islands with noseeums and do not want to repeat it! We are both very allergic to these critters and they seem to love us. I left our last Carribian trip with 150 bites that itched for a few weeks. They were in our house, bit us at night and day, there were at the beach all day and evening. At the time were told it was because of a rainy and cold December.

How bad are noseeums in cayman Brac? Especially in May, the start of the rainy season?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: How bad are the noseeums (Sand fleas) in Cayman Brac in May

Wear bug spray. Don't carry anything with sand on it into your house. Rinse off your feet, sandals, etc outside before going into the house. Normally, the no-see-ums only bother me when the sun starts to go down, so we leave the beach before that. The mosquitos love me as well, so I make sure I have bug spray, especially on my legs when we go out in the evening.

Chicago
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: How bad are the noseeums (Sand fleas) in Cayman Brac in May

Thanks, bluewater43 for the tips.

We are actually pretty well versed now on dealing with noseemums if they are around. We really want to go to a place that does not have them at all. Sounds like the Cayman islands are not the place for us if we need to do so much to avoid them! Your answer tells me they are a problem and we would be bug meat during our entire trip. And despite the beautiful ocean and snorkeling, we know the bugs would eat us every minute we are on land and that is not relaxing. Sorry, Caymans!

Thanks very much,

WW

3. Re: How bad are the noseeums (Sand fleas) in Cayman Brac in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:24 am, January 11, 2013
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: How bad are the noseeums (Sand fleas) in Cayman Brac in May

FWIW, the island of Grand Cayman really has no sand flea issues, especially around Seven Mile Beach. At least nothing like I have endured on St. John (esp. Francis and Maho), the DR, or Roatan. It did receive a few no-see-um bites at Point of Sand Beach on Little Cayman, but have not overnighted there.

Mosquitoes and the occasional biting midge can be encountered, but that is about it.

Cayman Brac
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: How bad are the noseeums (Sand fleas) in Cayman Brac in May

I live on the Brac but not on the beach. I haven't felt any sand fleas either.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: How bad are the noseeums (Sand fleas) in Cayman Brac in May

I didn't want to deter the OP from visiting Cayman Brac, but if they are biting bug magnets like I am, just wanted to warn them to wear bug spray. I love our trips to the Caymans (I'm a diver), but if I don't wear bug spray in the evening, I get bit up. Heck, I get bit up sitting on our patio in Ohio if I don't wear it. I agree that the no-see-ums aren't as bad as in the USVI, but I still get my share of bites on my feet/ankles when sitting with my feet in the sand.

Cayman Brac
Level Contributor
33 posts
7. Re: How bad are the noseeums (Sand fleas) in Cayman Brac in May

I live on the beach on the Brac and wouldn't say sand fleas etc are a problem - we have mosquitoes and I wear repellant for them around sundown if I'm outside but otherwise, no issues.

8. Re: How bad are the noseeums (Sand fleas) in Cayman Brac in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 13, 2014