We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

Canastota, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

We will be staying on Cayman Brac in March 2012 in an apartment on the west end. Does anyone know if there are snorkel excursions available to Little Cayman? Thank-you in advance for your help.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

As far as I know, you would most likely need to hitch a ride on a dive boat from a Reef Divers trip to Bloody Bay.

http://www.bracreef.com/diveOperator.html

Canastota, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

Testudo

Thank-you for the information.

Another question - does anyone operate a water taxi or similar service back and forth to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac? Is this something that should be arranged in advance? I am interested in spending a day at Point O' Sand.

Thanks

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

"does anyone operate a water taxi or similar service back and forth to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac?"

No water taxi service, you would need to arrange a charter or take a plane.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

Just curious. Why did you choose Cayman Brac? Of the 2 Sister Islands, I much preferred Little Cayman.

Canastota, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

Why did you prefer Little Cayman? I have never been to either. Cayman Brac seemed to have more rentals, and rates are reasonable. I also read good reviews of the snorkeling from shore. Snorkeling is my main interest.

Unfortunately I have already made a 50% deposit and only half can be refunded. Also the flight from Grand Cayman would need to be changed. However, I am beginning to think I should change to Little Cayman.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

Little Cayman was just more appealing to us but everyone's tastes are different. We found it to be more picturesque, quite charming and quaint, less rugged than Cayman Brac with good snorkeling opportunities, just like the Brac. The bluff and caves were not for us. We spent quite some time driving to the top of the bluff and were met there by 2 big, scary ( to me ) bulls. It was hard to find places we liked to eat and what I remember most was rocky shoreline and big rocks almost everywhere. We did enjoy the public beach on the south side. What I remember most about Little Cayman, in spite of some nasty weather, was beauty, charm and fun.

In all fairness to the Brac, we did not have the best experience there. We rented a house on the West End that was waterfront but offered no reasonable way to get over the ironshore and into the water. The house was also full of ants. We had 3 rental car breakdowns in one week so it was hard to have fun. Thank goodness there was a liquor store : )

That was our experience but it won't be yours. Stick with your choice, you will have a great time snorkeling and relaxing.

Edited: 6:10 pm, August 14, 2011
Canastota, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

Thanks Kiddos, I feel better about it now. We'll stick to the Brac this time.

The place we are staying in is fairly new and has very good reviews. Maybe we'll visit little Cayman next time.

iowa
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

We have been to the Brac many times and really enjoy the laid back lifestyle. This next winter we will be there for 2 months. We have a rental on the waterfront where we just enter the water from in front of the house in Stake Bay. We always rent a vehicle from the Boddens and have never had a problem. There are a number of good places to eat if you know where to look (not fancy, but more local).

Cayman Brac
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

there is a local boat charter operation on Cayman Brac that does fishing charters, trips to Point of Sand etc. The Destination 'Expert' is obviously a bit behind the times on this one. Has been running since April '11 and is well advertised on island. They operate close to Brac Reef on the South side

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
895 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkel trips to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac

If your intent is truly to be helpful, why not identify the charter boat operation by name rather than take a gratuitous pot shot at someone who has in fact helped hundreds of people seeking info about the Cayman Islands?

Furthermore, the Destination 'Expert's' answer was to a query about water taxi service. He also mentioned charters as a possibility, so I fail to see what was incorrect about his answer in the first place.

Get answers to your questions about Cayman Brac