We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Stays in Cayman Islands....help!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Topic
Family Stays in Cayman Islands....help!!!

Hi all...I am a frequent reader of TripAdvisor primarily for the honest and most excellent feedback of all.

We are a family of 4 going to Cayman Islands in Feb, 2010 for 2 weeks. Our kids are 14 and 12. We have stayed at 4 all inclusive resorts in Jamaica and one in Dom Republic and are looking for resort/conda advice in Cayman Islands.

We typically stay in the medium sized to larger sized resorts with lots of eating options, but we prefer to stay away from the high rise places.

We love the beach especially if it is calmer and warm! We hope the water in CI is warm...is it???

So here is the question...there are a ton of places to stay in CI...any suggestions?

We would consider a great condo rental if on a great beach near grocery/restaurants. Anywhere from 12 - 16 nights

Thanks so much,

Brad - Canada.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,267 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Stays in Cayman Islands....help!!!

Basically forget the AI idea. They aren't a big thing in Cayman (the island is wonderfully safe, easy to navigate and has great restaurants, so the need for AI's just isn't/wasn't there). In the winter months staying on the west side the island is probably going to provide the calm sea you are looking for. (Otherwise The Reef Resort which has an AI option on the East End would definitely be a choice). There are so many wonderful condo options that cater to every budget that offer much to families in visiting GC. Check out caymanvacations.com, caymanvacation.com and cicondos.com and come back with questions. The grocery stores are well stocked, wonderfully clean and totally modern. There is even a Cost U Less for sodas, snacks, etc., that you can go through rapidly with a family of four in two weeks!

USA
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Stays in Cayman Islands....help!!!

We have spent a lot of time on Grand Cayman, both by cruise ship and for weeks as we love it there.

As mentioned above, there aren't any AI on Grand Cayman and the restaurants aren't cheap! We spent two weeks at a condo this past summer and that is definitely the way to do it. That way you can have some meals at home and its nice to get up , relax, have coffee, feed the kids and send the off to the beach.

There are many options, some are extremely expensive. In the past few years many "high rise" (in cayman I think that means 7 stories) have gone up, where it used to be only 2-3 stories. The one we stayed at this summer was Villas of the galleon, its between the Ritz and the Westin and the beach is incredible. You are walking distance to many restaurants and the grocery store is a few blocks away. We have also stayed at Casa Caribe, another nice one, not to far away. I've heard nice things about Lacovia as well but it is next door to beach club which is super busy on cruise ship days.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Stays in Cayman Islands....help!!!

Just for clarification purposes and not an attack on anyone else's comment :) many posts referring to high rises in the Caymans are talking about places over 3 stories. There are 4 hotels---Westin, Ritz, GC BeachSuites and Marriott that are over 3 stories as is expected for a hotel. Condos: Caribbean Club has 1 building that has 7 floors but 2 other buildings that are 3 stories high so a guest has an option of which 'feel' they want. The only other places that are over 3 stories are Waters Edge(private or monthly rental), Beachcomber(7 stories) and Meridian(6 stories). Two more places are in contruction phase and will be over 3 stories. If I'm missing a place---sorry. Personally other than the Ritz's 'look' I don't see a problem with progress and ALL of the new places are gorgeous but again that's a personal preference. But there are SO many wonderful condos/villas even houses that have still retained the island feel that are available for rent. Too many to list LOL

Take a look at the previously mentioned websites to get a feel for what you want. The Reef Resort on East End does have AI if that's the way you want to go. Lots of good reviews and faithful repeat guests. As for pricing of restaurants if you have time take a look at the right hand side of this forum under most asked questions---another poster has already started adding info that would help you see pricing on grocery stores, alchohol and restaurants. There are a variety of cuisines in all price ranges. When you get to the airport on GC, you will also find an array of magazines with SO many restaurant options that allow coupons(for activities too!). Some places have specials running on certain days of the week too. And of course eating a few meals in the condo saves money. I've read posts of people that were able to go to GC yearly and do it within their budget. Just takes a little pre-planning. No matter where you stay---enjoy!!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Stays in Cayman Islands....help!!!

Whoops...just noticed this post is under Cayman Brac so perhaps nothing I wrote pertains to this anyway! LOL

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Stays in Cayman Islands....help!!!

I know you posted on Cayman Brac forum, but thought I'd add my 2 cents. Since you are traveling with your kids I will recommend Grand Cayman unless you are all serious divers.

Grand Cayman has many options for both accomendations & restaurants. We stay in a 2 BR condo on the north end of 7 Mile Beach. Discovery Point, which is a 3 story, 48 unit condo complex right on the beach (all units are ocean front). Very nice, but a car is required. There are many places in the central area of SMB if you don't want to rent a car for your entire stay. I dive everyday & my husband golfs so we need a car. But you should rent a car for at least a day or two to explore & taxis are expensive.

We take a cooler with meat for 5 dinners (for a 10-11 day stay) and lunchmeat for sandwiches. We pick up everything else at the grocery (Fosters). We like to sit on our screened in balcony watching the sunset while having dinner as well as coffee in the morning.

minnesota
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Stays in Cayman Islands....help!!!

HI, My name is Stephanie and we have stayed on Cayman Brac for 9days, now there isn't alot on to do on this island, due to the fact they haven't really rebuilt after the hurricane. But We rented a 2 bedroom home on the beach and did, a series of 8 dives with in-depth water sports, and these people are great, It is october and the water temp is about 86, theres lots of caves, blow holes, snorkling, and the entire island is VERY nice! Lots of iron shore, so not many places to just jump right in, but that hasn't been a problem. Have fun

7. Re: Family Stays in Cayman Islands....help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Cayman Brac