We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hour layover/ Grand Cayman

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
5 hour layover/ Grand Cayman

We are traveling to Cayman Brac and have a bit of a layover in Grand Cayman. Can anyone advise as to if there is place to go near the airport -- where we can get a drink and sit on a beach for a couple hours?

Are taxis accessible? Is it a bad idea to leave the airport? How is immigration?

Any comments would be appreciated.

houston
Level Contributor
121 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 hour layover/ Grand Cayman

If you're sure you have that amount of time them take a taxi into Georgetown and have lunch and drinks. About five/ten minute ride. It's not the miles it's the amount of cars. Once you have cleared customs into cayman thats it.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hour layover/ Grand Cayman

I agree with the Georgetown recommendation but when you return to the airport for the flight to the Brac you will need to allow enough time

to go thru security, etc. That can be fast or quite slow depending on the hour of the day & how many other flights are scheduled to depart within an hour or so of yours.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
177 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hour layover/ Grand Cayman

The traffic only heavy around the airport from 4pm to 6pm..."traffic of folks after work day heading home pass near there".

Otherwise, a taxi can take you the 20 min. ride to 7 Mile Beach, or many folks get taxi 10 minute ride to see Georgetown, but head south on South Church St. to see charming Smith Cove (1 mile south of Georgetown: 2 lil sandy beaches among ironshore), then to Pure Art a minutes drive from Smith Cove to experience Cayman's local gifts, see paintings, then to Sunset House 2 minute drive (1/2 mile) for oceanside drink, food if needed, great place to relax!

I'd leave an hour before plane leaving to have pleanty of time to clear customs and all with taxi ride Sunsets front desk will happily phone for you.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hour layover/ Grand Cayman

I don't know about leaving for the airport an hour before the flight departs--we usually arrive at the airport 1 1/2 - 2 hours before departure---just in case things are really slow----sometimes it's very fast----but I'd rather sit and wait in the airport and know I'm there and all checked in.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 hour layover/ Grand Cayman

This post is 2 years old

6. Re: 5 hour layover/ Grand Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 22, 2010