We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best island for diving

Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best island for diving

As avid divers, would like to know which island is considered to have best diving. Would love to do some shore diving too. We prefer more laid back and quiet so seven mile on grand cayman would not be our cup of tea, but are there quieter spots on gc? Would cayman brac or little cayman be better choices?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,993 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best island for diving

I would check out LIttle Cayman.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best island for diving

Yes, there are quieter spots on Grand Cayman: East End, Rum Point, Kaibo, Cayman Kai, Northside…..these are more like the island was before all of the development on SMB. Ocean Frontiers has a condo complex and a good diving operation. You give up lots of restaurants being on that side of the island, but there are some nice restaurants that have kept us happy…..Tukka, Rum Point, Kaibo, Italian Kitchen, Kurts Kitchen, Eagle Rays at Ocean Frontiers.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best island for diving

The condo complex with Ocean Frontiers is compass point

oceanfrontiers.com/compass-point-dive-resort…

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best island for diving

If quality of diving is your absolute priority then I would take Little Cayman, as Retrip says - Bloody Bay is reputed to be one of the best Caribbean dives in the world. The only reasons that I haven't been there yet is because I need more on my vacation than just the diving, and need a good variety of dining options. If that weren't a priority for me, then I would be heading to LC in a flash.

Edited: 10:47 am, March 02, 2014
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best island for diving

As was said above, Little Cayman has the best diving. It is very quiet and very laid back. There is not good shore diving right in front of the resorts, but you can shore dive from the north side of the island if you had a rental car. I like Little Cayman Beach Resort, but you can also look into Southern Cross Club and Pirates Point Resort. All three have their own dive operations and all are very good. Conch Club Condos also has good prices and their own dive operation, but you would have to either cook your own meals or get a meal plan at LCBR. Be aware that there is very little to do besides dive and bird watch on the island, so if you need more than that, LC probably isn't for you.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best island for diving

LCBR is definitely a good choice. Cayman Brac also has great diving, and Brac Reef Beach resort is the sister resort to LCBR. Both cater primarily to divers, and run a 2 tank AM boat dive and a 1 tank PM dive after lunch. Not a great deal to do besides diving, but you won't really have much time for other stuff unless you skip some afternoon dives. If you're willing to forgo the shore diving you won't need a rental car. I'm not sure about policies at LCBR and BRBR, but the norm on GC is to only give you one tank per certified diver for shore dives. That's not inconvenient when you're diving is a 2 minute walk from where you get the tanks, but it may limit the number of dives you can manage when you have to drive 20 to 30 minutes between your dive site and your next tank.

Even with the greater ease of shore diving on GC, you probably wouldn't do much more diving there, assuming you've got one of the common 2 tank morning packages. I'm sure you'll prefer one of the areas suggested by caymanshelly. My preference would be a villa on northside. Many offer good snorkeling right out front, and perhaps access through the reef to do some wall diving. Private villas generally make it easier to rinse and hang your gear than resorts that aren't primarily geared towards divers. Another reason to stay north or east is that if you're there for the diving you almost certainly want to be diving the east end. That gives you two choices: Tortuga Divers or Ocean Frontiers.

Assuming allowable depths and profiles matter you might want to check with each operator to see what their current rules are. My experience was that we were given more freedom at LCBR and BRBR. I believe Tortuga got a new manager about 2 years ago, so there's a chance that their policies have changed since I last used them.

Have you definitely settled on one of the Cayman islands, or are you considering other locations as well?

Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best island for diving

We've been wanting to try caymans. Did the shore diving in Bonaire and loved it so plan on going back. But I did understand caymans had some shore diving as well. We've been to Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, Saba, Tobago, Turks and Caicos. Any other must sees in the Caribbean? The other thing we could try is one week on grand cayman in the quieter end and one week on little cayman to experience a bit of both. Thanks for all the information, it is very helpful.

8. Re: Best island for diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, March 01, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Little Cayman