We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dive on a budget

San Diego...
Level Contributor
462 posts
Save Topic
Dive on a budget

Planning a two week vacation to Grand Cayman with diving at Little Cayman inn May.

The price for all inclusive resort on LC is kinda high,

We have a total budget of $6000 ( not including international air )

We can either cut back on days to 9or 10 nights total or see if you have other idea.

We are OK to bring our own food to LC if we can find a reasonable place to stay and do ala carte diving eating out for dinner only.

Would five days with four days of diving be enough to get enough to get the WOW experience on LC?

Would five night and four days be enough ( too long or not enough) on Grand Cayman to see the best sights and do one dive and a couple of snorkel? Any ideas on some reasonable priced lodging?

We live in San Diego so we don't need to "relax " as much as we want to experience different things and have fun.

1. Re: Dive on a budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:53 pm, February 13, 2013
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,722 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dive on a budget

Look into Paradise Villas. http://www.paradisevillas.com/

I would also suggest you inquire on ScubaBoard. There are lots of divers there experienced with the various options available for diving on Little Cayman.

www.scubaboard.com/forums/cayman-islands/

Edited: 5:26 pm, February 10, 2013
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dive on a budget

Are you really set on the split destination? The last time someone posted about that here, the general concensus was that it would be a lot of hassle and cost. I haven't been to LC, but I hear that the diving is superb. GC has some really excellent diving compared to many other places in the world. Not sure what your diving experience is, though, so hard to tell.

I think that if I were you, depending on your priorities, I would plan to be in one place and really enjoy that, rather than scrimping and the hassle of having to lug food with you. There are so many dive sites on GC with many different types of diving - I think that you would find plenty to do for 2 weeks, while having the advantage of the other things that GC has to offer (like a wide selection of great restaurants).

Getting a condo that is off the beach will also keep your costs down - Bonnie's Arch or Coconut Bay are places where I have stayed - both have a shore dive site right off the condo complex and other shore dives (and dive ops) very close by. Both are up in West Bay, which means that you are really handy for many of the Seven Mile Beach "attractions" without having to pay the extra price. There is a Fosters supermarket right down the road, so that you can eat within a budget in the condo, and then splurge to go out when you feel like it.

Anyway, that's a suggestion - others may well have other suggestions. :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
95 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dive on a budget

I agree - shored iving is a good option - you can reach the wall quite easily from shore and entry is not bad. Ask Patty from The conch Club about the least expensive car rental (I forgot the name & number now). Grocery shopping is very expensive and it could work out cheaper (or equal) to go to a restaurant than prepare your own food. For example, a " Ristorante"frozen pizza costs $16 at the grocery store - I pay around $5 for the exact one in Toronto. So, by all means, take your own food.

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dive on a budget

The only thing I see with a split stay is that you will lose a lot of dive time due to flying to Little Cayman and back. You won't be able to dive 24 hours before you fly to Little Cayman and back and before you fly back to San Diego. Unless I'm wrong about flying and diving lol! I hear the diving is great on Little Cayman but lots of great dives in Cayman also.

6. Re: Dive on a budget

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,722 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dive on a budget

You will be above the recommended safe altitude for diving and flying same day on the flights between GC and LC.

8. Re: Dive on a budget

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,722 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dive on a budget

Anyone who has flown to LC might be aware that the altitude attained can approach 8,000 feet. When referring to experts, it may be helpful to let them know that bit of information so they can provide relevant advice.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dive on a budget

This thread has taken an unfortunate turn.

Get answers to your questions about Little Cayman