We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs

With all the mangroves is there an insect problem (no- see-ums and mosquitos), will be there at the end of April, also what is the water temp at that time of year? Thanks.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs

we stay in the central area of SMB mid to late March & have never encountered any problem with insects. Air temp late April will be mid to high 80s during the day and water temps very pleasant.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs

Since you posted on the Little Cayman forum I am thinking that is the Island you will be visiting. We vacationed in Little Cayman during the month of November a few years ago. The only time we were bothered by mosquitos was at dusk. They were voracious for about 45 minutes, before and after dusk there was no problem.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs

The water temps are between 82 and 86 F year round. We too stay along the SMB area of GC where they spray for bugs regularly and therefore we never think about them. However, when we have gone to other areas (i.e. Roland's Garden, Calypso Grille, etc for dinner) we were bombarded. They, like many other places with mozzies, supply plenty of spray. I suggest you bring it with you -- those bug towelettes are wonderful! Have a great trip!

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs

I lived on Little Cayman for nearly 3 years and bugs aren't too much of a problem, but they definitely do bite. There always worse at sunrise and sunset and particularly if it's been raining. A fabulous, fabulous repellant is Skin so Soft by Avon (loads of friends used it), and it smells gorgeous.

The water temperature at that time will be on the colder side (although definitely not cold in any sense of the word) as it's still warming up from winter, so you're looking at about 80/81 degrees.

5. Re: Bugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 10, 2009