We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

I am thinking either booking the island view room or the partial ocean view in the Westin. Some of the island view rooms have balconies. This is the $160 question. Has any one stayed in the island view rooms and were happy? We really look outside and see how the weather is and then pop inside. If I book the island view and decide to switch at hotel would it be cheaper than what I see online? The diff. in price is $160 and we were already on a major trip in March to Maui where we had an ocean view; and still nobody sat outside. Our trip is scheduled for mid August for 8 nights and it is myself and 2 daughters; 16 yrs and 22 yrs. My second question is will we have our luggage for our layover in Chicago or will it be shipped to Toronto. Our flight is from GCM to Houston; change planes going to Chicago; overnight in Chicago at a hotel; then next morning flight from Chicago to Toronto. Please advise me. Thanks

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

Airlines usually DO NOT hold baggage overnight. You'll have claim your luggage in Chicago and re-check it in the morning. FYI - Since you are connecting in Houston you'll have to clear immigration, claim your luggage, clear customs and re-check your luggage in Houston before boarding your flight to Chicago.

Sorry, can't answer your question about the Westin.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

Pre-9/11, the airlines did hold luggage overnight, as we had this happen when having an overnight in Houston on the way to Belize. Now, like so many other things with air travel, that has changed. I would confirm with your airline though. I seem to recall someone posting a note on one of the forums that they got hit for a second baggage fee when rechecking their luggage the next day after an overnight stay. Doesn't seem right if the airline's itinerary has you doing an overnight. Perhaps there is some special procedure or ticketing of the luggage that needs to be done to prevent this. Maybe it's as simple as not removing the airline baggage tags from your luggage until you get to check-in so the agent knows you are in-transit.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

I just booked a room at a hotel in Grand Cayman (not the Westin) and it was the same price online as it was in person. If you are not stuck on the Westin you should look at a condo. With four people it will be cheaper than 2 hotel rooms and will be much more spacious. You might get everything you want in the price range. Check out caymancondos.com, caymanvacations.com, etc., and come back with questions if this is of interest. When our kids were little, we always got adjoining rooms at the old Hyatt. Once we discovered the condo option, we never looked back!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

I completely agree with Retrip. However, you did not mention if you would book one or two rooms at the Westin.

*Island View* means parking lot view. Yes, even those rooms have a small balconey.

*Partial Sea View* rooms are along the side of the hotel so that if you turn your head, you may see the water.

*Ocean Front* (although it's not the ocean, it's the Caribbean Sea) are in the middle of the building, face the water, but the view may be obscured by the tropical foliage.

*Deluxe Ocean Front* rooms are at either end of the hotel, tryly facing the water, as you might expect.

For the price & the added convenience, you really should look at beachfront condos.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

We will be only booking 1 room; however it's only the 3 of us this time; hubby not going. The Westin has the best pool and beach and that is what we are looking for. I know the condo scene would give us more space but usually there are lacking in restaurant service. The whole idea is to spend as little as possible as we were on a mega spending holiday in March for 2 weeks. The airline is being partially paid by United as we got a $1500 credit for the 3 of us as we got bumped off. I know restaurants will be expensive and I could save money by having breakfast in condo. What we are looking for is a nice resort feeling without the price! Another bummer is that the Westin will be collecting $35 plus $20 a night in extra fees.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

We've been staying at the Westin for many years and have stay in every room type. If you're primarily looking to save $, book the island view room (be aware that not every island view room has a useable balcony...you should ask for one at checkin if that's important to you. Since you'll be going in August, it's low season and the hotel should upgrade you for free if they have the availability. It doesn't hurt to ask for an upgrade if they don't offer one. One noteworthy item is the "ocean front" rooms get very hot when the sun is facing the hotel...it's so back that you can't really sit out there for long periods of time.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

Have you been to Cayman before? You are right in that only one of the condo complexes has a restaurant on site but there are restaurants within walking distance of all of the condos in central Seven Mile Beach. So I think you would actually save money by being in a condo. Check out Villas of the Galleon right next door. No pool but a beautiful beach and I'm sure you'll find some great condo deals for August. Can't hurt to ask the owner for discount beyond the advertised rate.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

Of the hotels, I would say that the Westin has a "better" beach but MOST of the condos on SMB have a better beach than the Westin in terms of available shade and chairs and a lack of crowds. As far as the goal to "spend as little as possible" I think you're going to find that eating out for breakfast and lunch (as well as paying boku dollars for snacks and drinks) adds up very quickly. I would estimate that, for a family of 3, breakfast and lunch at the Westin is going to be in the ballpark of $100-150/day. I've had friends at the Ritz spend almost $100/person/day just on bottled water and soft-drinks. Not sure how much your daughters drink but at $5-7 Canadian for a beer and nearly $18 Canadian for a margarita (not including tip), "as little as possible" becomes quite a subjective issue compared with buying a case of beer and enjoying the benefits of a full condo kitchen (blender included).

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful stay no matter where you decide but, when it comes to savings, a condo is the way to go.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,521 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

Could you say more about what you consider a "nice resort feeling" - different people mean different things by that - if you could get more specific on what you are looking for we can better help you decide whether or not a condo experience would satisfy your needs.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Questions- Westin hotel room choice and layover going back

Travelling Brit- A resort feel to us means that the pool area is nicely landscaped with a restaurant onsite, people mingling about depending upon the season. We like to walk to restaurants, shopping etc. and of course those excursions which you can book yourself. We've had a condo on Grace Bay in Turks and that was fine. A hotel room for 3 of us would be fine at this destination. Just the feeling of walking through a nice lobby and then relaxing on a pool chair with a book in hand. The beach water must be clear and sandy with no rocks.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach