We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passports for us citiznes

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
passports for us citiznes

do i need a passport or my 15 yr old daughter from us need passport for grand cayman as I know we don't for st. johns, st. croix I believe thanks

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passports for us citiznes

Yes, all of you will need Passports. Cayman is not a US territory as are the USVI and Puerto Rico.

Edited: 2:53 pm, August 07, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passports for us citiznes

thank you very m uch; do you know if we go to us virgin islands we don't need passports from what I have read?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passports for us citiznes

You do not for USVI - St. Thomas, Croix and John

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passports for us citiznes

For USVI

With the June 1, 2009 deadline passed for compliance with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, the US Customs and Border Protection now has consistent travel document requirements for all modes of transportation between the US mainland and the Virgin Islands. What are the definitive document requirements for US Citizens?

- Passports or passport cards are preferred, but not required, for direct travel between the US Virgin Islands and the US mainland.

- Travelers 19 and older require state issued photo identification and a copy of a birth certificate (raised seals are not required).

- Travelers 18 and younger require only a copy of a birth certificate (raised seals are not required).

- Infants who have not yet received birth certificates can use hospital provided documentation of birth that names both parents. The named parents must travel with the infant.

- Travelers without proof of citizenship are subject to additional questioning and secondary screening that could delay travel.

- Passports or passport cards are required for US Citizens who have landed on foreign soil.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: passports for us citiznes

It doesn't really matter if Cayman requires a passport, the US requires one for you to be able to re-enter.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passports for us citiznes

The USVI are a US territory. The Cayman Islands are a British Crown Colony. You need a passport to visit a foreign country. You do not need a US passport to travel within the United States or other US territories.

I would check the US government travel website for specifics.

travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passports for us citiznes

Might as well get one for her...who knows where your travels will take you.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passports for us citiznes

Passports are good for ten years so this will cover her thru her college years (you know, the semesters abroad and the back packing thru Europe thing. LOL). These are the type of things the gov't loves to raise the prices on so get it now before it becomes more expensive -again!

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: passports for us citiznes

If your kids are younger than 18, their passports are only valid for five years. Learned that the hard way.

It is a lot more difficult to leave Grand Cayman than it is to enter. They practically make you do jumping jacks to get through airport security.

If you have time, I would strongly suggest getting a passport for your daughter. It helps to expedite the process of entering and leaving GC.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: passports for us citiznes

Didn't realize kids passports were only valid for 5 years instead of 10 as we've never had to get one.Thanks for posting the update.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach