We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

Just about to (maybe! lol) book a trip to 7 mi beach, never been to Cayman before ...for next Friday for 5 nights. Is it crazy to book a trip to Cayman for end of August - worried about bad weather, or really bad weather... Considering booking a cheapcaribbean package w/ the cancel at any cost option... but what I REALLY want is to book a condo at HH... pricier and no cancel at any price... Opinions?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,267 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

Nope absolutely no anxiety . . . have been on the island several times when hurricanes, tropical storms and tropical depressions were within a couple hundred miles or closer. All guests are flown off island once it looks that a storm is actually poised to hit the island. Flights to Florida are only one hour. In the face of Hurricane Dean the guests who lingered until the final day as well as any residents who wanted to leave were taken away by Cayman Airways who worked round the clock when American, Air Canada, Delta and other carriers stopped sending their equipment into the Carib. It was done in an orderly, friendly and tireless way. Most guests (those with common sense) flew out the day before. The level of hurricane awareness and preparedness on the island is way beyond what we see here in the States. The afternoon after Hurricane Emily brushed 300 miles off the coast of Grand Cayman we were back diving! What is HH?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

Thanks for your reply. Harbor Heights condos...I think they're down the beach from the Westin. They look nice and have some shade trees ... and a little bit of snorkling ... and walking to restaurants possible as well.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

No, no anxiety about traveling to the Cayman Islands in hurricane season.

Because at least there I am not the chief elected official responsible for tens of thousands of lives in the Massachusetts town that is the most vulnerable in the state to storm surges, like I am at home.* Actually I am far more worried about something happening here while I am there!

*Can you say Category 3 hurricane at high tide = 25 foot storm surge, children? The NWS can!

Edited: 10:53 am, August 05, 2013
Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

Check out this site:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo_atl.shtml

If there are no big "blobs" heading for the Caribbean, then chances are you will only have passing showers if that.

Chill!

Edited: 11:01 am, August 05, 2013
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

Harbour Heights is great, the beach is beautiful, and you should have no concerns about booking a trip. Either way, I would still consider renting a car, at least for a few days. While you can certainly walk to some restaurants, driving will give you more options and costs marginally more than taking taxis to/from the airport and other locations.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

Buy trip insurance, would be my advice - this covers a lot of your out-of-pocket expenses if your trip gets delayed or cancelled. Policies differ, so it's worth checking on the details.

And then forget about it. Hurricanes affect the Cayman islands about once every 2-3 years, and then it's maybe a week or two of things not working out. They have some excellent preparedness here that impresses the heck out of me.

So my advice would be to go ahead and book a great vacation!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

No anxiety at all. Unless you are particularly attached to HH, I suggest checking out a couple of more complexes as I believe some will refund your deposit if there is a named storm within a certain range.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

The advantage about booking so close is that you can check the storm forecast like Sue said above. Tropical storms normally come off the coast of Africa and take a long time to get to GC.

I would imagine airfare would be pretty expensive due to the short notice.

B.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

lol I have been checking that map THANKS for that pointer Sue... and I don't *think* it looks like there's anything spooky identified... thanks everyone!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,389 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone share storm/hurricane anxiety?

I check the NOAA site religiously before upcoming trips during hurricane season and I check as if Il Papa was coming over for dinner once a storm as formed. Not that it helps anything, but who wants a washout or to possibly head into/from a mess on a vacation?