We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pros and Cons of renting a car on the island

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Pros and Cons of renting a car on the island

We are only staying 5 nights (thursday - tuesday). We aren't sure if we want to rent a car or not.

Last summer, while visiting Puerto Rico, we spent a ton of money in taxi fees before finally renting a car. However, the beach area we were staying in was quite a drive from downtown San Juan (bad planning, but even difficult to access restaurants by foot). Is that the case in Grand Cayman?

We aren't opposed to walking. We are both young and healthy but not athletes by any means! I had surgery after falling down a 6 foot creek bank in June last year and now have a mini-hardware store in my leg. So a few miles is about my limit. (Maybe 5 at a time, 10 with stops)

The areas we are sure we want to visit:

Georgetown

Starfish Point (?)

Stingray City

possibly Hell

If we had a car we would likely do some exploring on our own.

Thanks everyone! love this site!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Pros and Cons of renting a car on the island

Oyyveyy, unless you only goal is to sit on the beach, you are missing out!

lnp84, if you guys like to snorkel, rent a car and go check out the island. Not all snorkeling spots are the same! If you're apprehensive about the cost, consider renting one for just a couple of days to check out the north and east sides of the island. Five nights is plenty of time to go explore!

Oakville
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Pros and Cons of renting a car on the island

We were there for 7 days and rented a car for 3 days. The rental company dropped of the car at our condo and picked it up 3 days later. No hassle of having to go and pick it up and drop it off. Was a really good experience and well worth it IMO.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Pros and Cons of renting a car on the island

Actually, my goal IS to sit on a beach. We usually dive about 5 or 6 times while we are there and the rest of the time I want to sit. It's the only time I ever sit! It's my kids' favorite vacation. Everywhere else we go I drag them to every historic site/museum/church/viewpoint/must-see place there is and everyone is exhausted. Grand Cayman is the only place I just let everyone SIT. Granted, we do go to stingray city every time for my youngest child (who is finally old enough to get certified in August :) ) and usually the Turtle Farm. But that's it! Then we sit! :)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Pros and Cons of renting a car on the island

I would echo the comments above. You should rent a car for at least a few days of your trip. It's an easy, safe island to explore in a car and will make it much easier to visit other areas of the island for sightseeing and dining. While sitting on the beach is fun (and a pastime I enjoy on most days), you're really missing out on the sights by not renting a vehicle. Check out the top question on the right for advice on driving tours.

15. Re: Pros and Cons of renting a car on the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 21, 2014