We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Cayman Beach Suites

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Cayman Beach Suites

Hi

My husband and I (we are in our early 30s) were looking to stay at the GC Beach Suites in the first week in September 2013. Will the weather be ok? I appreciate it is hurricane season but we are hoping it'll be ok??

In terms of mosquitos, I have read that they have greatly reduced as they now spray the area? What will it be like in September please? I get bitten alive where ever I go- so will be taking bug spray with me anyway!

Also I have read numerous reviews and I was not sure whether to ask for a full balcony or not...some reviews say that having a full balcony you are closer to the road which can be noisy? Hence is it better to get a standard room which is on the beach side?? (I dont know the set up of the place but just guessing).

What is the beach like at this place please? - ie is it white sands or rocky?

Any tips please (places to eat, closes grocery store, nice bars etc)?

- which room to ask for?

One last question - I was also looking at the Plantana condos - however it seems as though for the price you get a lot more room wise but less service (i.e. bar at the pool, in house restaurants, food at the beach and location isnt great compared to beach suites??

I appreciate the help and advice.

thank you in advance.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Cayman Beach Suites

Will the weather be ok? Anyone's guess, it IS peak hurricane season. No one can tell you today what the weather will be like in September.

In terms of mosquitos: There is a mosquito spraying program along Seven Mile Beach, I have never been bothered by mosquitos in that area

- I was also looking at the Plantana condos - however it seems as though for the price you get a lot more room wise but less service: You are correct, the condos are self serve, no on-site restaurant or bar. Plantana's beach is nicer than the one at Beachsuites, wider and no dive boat smell or noise. The units are spacious and you have a private, screened patio. It's location is just a bit further north from the main tourist strip, but walkable or a short drive away.

Others can address the specific questions you have about rooms at Beachsuites.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Cayman Beach Suites

The Beachsuites are probably set on one of the most ideal areas of central SMB in terms of beach and water entry. There is construction next door, but it seemed like the outside was pretty much done when we were last down so it might well be over by September. They spray for mozzies and I have never been bothered by that stretch. I would request a room facing the beach and/or pool. The new building on the other side is big and you don't need to get a balcony to look at it. There are lots of shops and restaurants in the central area within easy walking distance. For two people I think the Beach Suites is great, for more I would go with a condo. You have a bedroom/bathroom/little kitchen area with cook top, microwave, fridge, etc. and a nice sized living room. We stayed there when our place was being painted and liked it very much. A new bar has opened up downstairs called Side Bar which seems to have something going on many nights. Hemmingways is also on the property and while it doesn't get talked about much, we have never had a bad meal there and it is a lovely location. The Sunday brunch is very popular with locals who can go wherever they want. Am not familiar with Plantana except location wise. BS is more centrally located and on a nicer stretch of beach as positives. Those familiar with Plantana's layout can fill you in about its pros and cons! Kiddos and I were typing at the same time. I would mention that the dive boat comes in around 8 a.m. in the morning and back before lunch. There is an afternoon boat that leaves around 1:30 some days, but not every day. It doesn't stay on the beach for that long (picks up guests at the Westin beach as well). I have never been bothered by it (noise, sight or smell), but then again I am usually on it whenever possible!!!

Edited: 7:32 pm, June 01, 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Cayman Beach Suites

Retrip, it's Saturday night! We need to get lives : )

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Cayman Beach Suites

Big thank you Kiddos and Retrip!! Quick replies and helpful advice!

I think we'll be on the dive boats too which sounds great!!!

Ok so we are sticking with beach suites.

Any recommendations for dive schools, restaurants and bars please?

As its so central do we really need a car?

Thanks

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Cayman Beach Suites

Red Sail Sports will pick you up at the Beachsuites. Retrip is familiar with their dive operation and can advise you on that. You can get away without a car at Beachsuites and either walk or use the public bus system. I would recommend you rent one for a day or two if you want to see the more picturesque areas of Grand Cayman.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Cayman Beach Suites

Are you certified??? Use Red Sail Sports right there on the property. For whatever your needs they are one of the few PADI 5 star ops and they do a great job. Go online and see if they have any specials before you book. Sometimes in the lower season which September they sometimes have some packages that might be great for you. Nothing better than rolling out of bed down the side staircase on getting on a boat right there . . . great at the end of the dive too. The lockers, rinse buckets for gear and everything are right there for you. If you are doing any certs with them, it is also really nice to be able to chill out between morning and afternoon sessions. I always recommend that people use an in house op when possible and you have a great one on your doorstep. Lone Star across the street is great for lunch and Rock N Roll bingo night is a blast. Luca right down the road is one of my favorite upscale places. Ragazzi (little sister) is right across the way. Honestly you will be spoiled for choices! You can also walk to the grocery store to pick up some essentials to keep in the "suite". We usually eat breakfast in when we going on a boat just take the time hassle out of the morning. Come back with any questions!

Kiddos -- its Sat night and after the day I'm toast!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Cayman Beach Suites

When it is just my husband and I going to GC Beachsuites is our favorite place to lodge! We stayed once in a suite with step out Juliet balcony, but prefer the full sit out balcony units and have not been bothered at all by road noise. Location suburb and often only rent a car when staying there for a day or 2 just because we chose to wander at will. We find Beachsuites perfect for us and a uniquely awesome option vs full condo with more the 2 of us need or hotel room with less space or convenience of in unit amenities than we want.

Denver
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Cayman Beach Suites

Nice comments... am now leaning towards GC Beach Suites. Expedia has a sweet price for a package deal with this hotel. We are going in September too.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Cayman Beach Suites

Well it looks as if a TA party is brewing for the first week of September. Just pulled the trigger yesterday for a stay at Plantation Village (6 resorts south of Beach Suites). Haven't been to GC in 5 yrs and am really looking forward to returning. Fingers crossed for good wind conditions to dive the North Wall.....If not will do west and north again (some great shore dives are close!) I hope my shortie still fits!

10. Re: Grand Cayman Beach Suites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach