We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are most condos stocked with?

Boonville, Missouri
Level Contributor
81 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
What are most condos stocked with?

I am trying to plan a trip to the Caribbean next year and am considering renting a condo on Grand Cayman. In Florida the condos are only stocked with 1 roll of toilet paper in the bathrooms. We have to bring everything for the kitchen, i.e.salt, pepper, dish detergent, paper towels, etc. I see most condos have daily maid service with linens, towels and beach towels provided. I was just wondering how much we would have to bring or buy when we get there.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Florida
Florida
United States
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are most condos stocked with?

Can only speak for places I have been and now my own unit. There has always been plenty of toilet paper, paper towels are replenished by maids, dish soap is usually provided and often sat, pepper and coffee filters. Shampoo, conditioner, soap as well. From home I used to bring Ziploc bags, personal toiletries and purchased whatever else needed once I arrived. Buying small sized laundry detergent

is really not a big deal. The mgmt. CO for our unit does provide mini boxes of tide. Each place may be a little different. Go shopping after you see what you need.

Edited: 10:38 pm, April 24, 2013
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are most condos stocked with?

It depends on whether or not you are in a complex that has daily mail service. When we stayed where there was daily maid service they provided paper towels, toilet paper, soap and dishwashing detergent and garbage bags. There was usually salt and pepper left in the unit

In the place we stay that does not have maid service they provide starter toilet paper, paper towel, soap and dish detergent, garbage bags. There is usually laundry detergent, salt and pepper and some spices, a little coffee, tea, coffee filters, a few sugar packets. It probably depends on what people have left. It depends on how long you stay as to whether you would have to buy additional.

We have never found shampoo.

Refrigerators are always cleaned out and empty. I think you would have to check with where you are staying as to what they provide.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are most condos stocked with?

I agree that there isn't a pattern or "rule of thumb" for this - there is nearly always at least one roll of toilet paper, and garbage bags, and usually all linens, towels (and beach towels) are provided, but the rest is up for grabs. I haven't stayed at a place with daily maid service, so can't speak for them.

So much depends on what the previous guests left - I have found salt and pepper, shower gel, coffee filters (and even coffee), but have never found tea.

My advice is to bring some easy light stuff (like tea bags, if that's what you drink) and make a point of planning a run to the store pretty much as soon as you get there, and find out what is in the place, and what you need. You could also talk to whoever you are booking with (the booking agent or the property manager) to get an idea of exactly what you can expect to be there.

There are also services that, for a fee, will deliver groceries to your place on the day of your arrival - that can save that immediate trip to the store, and is especially valuable on a Sunday when all the stores are closed (except for the "convenience"-type stuff at gas stations).

Boonville, Missouri
Level Contributor
81 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are most condos stocked with?

Thanks. The two places I am looking at have daily maid service. I will ask the manager if I book exactly what will be in the unit. I certainly sounds like they provide more than we are used to in the states. We have to take dish towels, kitchen towels, all garbage bags etc. Do any units have floats for the ocean?

I think booking a condo and splitting cost with another couple will be cheaper than doing an all inclusive somewhere else in the Caribbean - at least I hope so! Definitely would be more peaceful as all we like to do is sit on the beach all day and go eat out in the evening.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are most condos stocked with?

The condos we have stayed in had daily maid service (except on Sundays), kitchen and bathrooms stocked with paper towels, dish soap & dishwasher detergent, bathroom tissue, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, bar soap, that was replenished as needed. Some had coffee maker filters, salt & pepper, sugar, others did not. Same with laundry detergent. I tend to think if previous occupant left those items behind, they were not removed.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are most condos stocked with?

Some places will have beach chairs, ocean floats and even umbrellas. If these are important to you, definitely check with the individual company/person and find out what to expect.

And yes, the experience with renting Condos on Cayman has consistently been better than most of the other condos I have rented. Part of that is due to the Cayman Department of Tourism's high standard for condo rentals, but also because the owners/managers really do care. If you are curious - every owner that wants to rent our their property for short-term (vacation) rental get an annual inspection done by the Department of Tourism to make sure it comes up to the standards they lay out - if you are curious about how detailed these get, check out caymanislands.ky/content/files/foi/docs/land…

Totally agree with the concept of sharing the cost with another couple vs an all-inclusive. What I like about it is that it feels like you are LIVING there, rather than just staying there. For that week, it feels like home, and I really like that feeling.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What are most condos stocked with?

I have found the above info to be true of condos we have stayed in on Cayman. Two things I always put in my suitcase are a cheap $2.00 pool float from Walmart and Purex laundry detergent sheets. Neither take up much room to pack and are very handy once we get to Cayman. I just leave the float for the next visitor to enjoy and the Purex sheets work as both detergent and fabric softener. I also take various sizes of Ziploc bags.

Also, having stayed at all-inclusives on several other islands, we greatly prefer the atmosphere and convenience of condo life on Cayman. Everyone has their own preferences but I think you will love Cayman.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are most condos stocked with?

The kitchens have always been fully equipped--pots, pans, dishes, dish towels etc, bath towels, and beach towels. The condos we have used have not had floats etc, however the condo our daughter was in had snorkeling equip, floats bikes, videos, games, books. So it all depends on which condo you rent as to what you will find. Some even have kayaks.

9. Re: What are most condos stocked with?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach