We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location to stay - short list - please help

Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
316 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
location to stay - short list - please help

After a great deal of research today, we've narrowed our list for a place to stay. We may have 10 women going but it appears that I've found condos that have several units available.

the main places we're considering are:

Discovery Point (but it doesn't look great for swimming and I saw your post about the rocks out front)

Harbor Heights

Sundowner - not sure there is enough shade out front near the beach otherwise some pretty good deals in this condo.

Heritage Club - looks like a decent place

Villas of the Galleon - more central than north

Anchorage (but don't appear to have Washer/Dryer in units)

London House

Christopher Columbus

Here's what's important to us:

great sandy beach and easy, sandy entry into water. Sand for swimming but we'd also like to have good snorkeling a short walk away.

We think a pool would be nice to have.

We'd like some shade for the beach as an opportunity to get out of the sun when needed.

We will be cooking most meals at home and would like a grocery store/liquor store nearby.

A clean and somewhat updated condo.

The places listed above seem to be in our budget. Any yay's or nay's from the group. If so, please state your reason the condo might not be good based upon our requirements list. Thanks so much!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: location to stay - short list - please help

My take:

Skip Sundowner, no shade and when I stopped by there it gave me the creeps ( purely subjective )

Heritage Club: has huts for shade, a small pool, nice units, nice beach and water entry

Discovery Point: Nice units, nice pool area, huts for shade, shoreline can be iffy

Anchorage: huts for shade in a cramped area, nice units, water entry generally fine

London House: huts for shade, nice units, nice beach, has a small pool

Villas of the Galleon: no pool, a bit more centrally located, when last viewed the units were nice

No recent familiarity with Harbor Heights

Christopher Columbus: huge beach, plenty of huts, nice units, newly remodeled pools, generally easy water entry.

While I have not stayed at every complex you have mentioned, we toured each property to explore our options. Honestly, with the exception of Sundowner and having felt cramped at Anchorage's beach, I wouldn't turn any of them down. My biggest thumbs up in that group would go to The Heritage Club or Christopher Columbus. JMO.

Edited: 7:11 pm, March 10, 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: location to stay - short list - please help

Also, each has easy access to grocery stores by car or walking, if you don't mind the heat. We always use the car so we don't have to walk and carry bags of groceries. Each property has some ( not the best ) snorkeling nearby or right in front. Consider if a screened in porch is important. I have never felt the need but it matters a lot to some.

Edited: 7:17 pm, March 10, 2013
Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: location to stay - short list - please help

Thanks for taking the time to give me your input. It was so much help. Is it your experience that people are willing to negotiate with rates or do they pretty much stick with published rates?

Also, I was asking about the screen porch because many units have them and I wondered if the bugs were that bad?

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: location to stay - short list - please help

I have only booked directly with the properties where we have stayed so the rate was not negotiable. Some here use VRBO or a similar site looking for a good rate directly from the owners but I have never done so. In 21 years, I have never been bitten by a mosquito but others have had different experiences. We stay where the patio is not screened and have not had a problem. I would think that if mosquitos were really a problem, all of the properties would screen in their patios/balconies. There is a mosquito control program along Seven Mile Beach that has been pretty effective in controlling the pests.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: location to stay - short list - please help

I have stayed in condos on Grand Cayman quite a few times. The flexibility of owners to negotiate will depend a lot on when you want to go. You don't specify any dates in your original post. Sometimes in the off season, an owner may throw in an extra night if they aren't booked already. In the busy periods, you pretty much pay what the rate is.

I have never stayed in a place on Cayman with screens, sit outside often and have never been bitten by mosquitoes, just sand fleas/no-see-ums (tend to be on the lower legs only if walking).

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
New Hope...
Level Contributor
752 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: location to stay - short list - please help

Your list is quite comprehensive. I like having a washer/dryer in the unit. It makes life easier. I also prefer screened patios especially if you are going to sit outside with the lights on, this attracts insects. Heritage Club, Discovery Point, Christopher Columbus are all very nice. You can look at the reviews on the Tripadvisor site under specialty lodging.The beach varies in North SMB so it is difficult to say how it will be when you come.

I also like going through VRBO rather than directly through the property manger. The owners will tell you what is in the units. Some condos still have old CRT TVs or old appliances in the kitchen.They will should provide more pictures than on the generic website. The views of the beach will vary from one condo to another in the same property, Also, as was stated above, you may be able to get a better discounts through VRBO.

7. Re: location to stay - short list - please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach